Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2007 Team Scalpel

Pulled the trigger on a demo Team Scalpel. Took it for a ride cause I thought the lefty would screw me up & was impressed by the balance & feel that I bought it.
    Wondering about anything i should know other than the recall for the lefty? Anything need changing? The only thing I found was the stem was a tad long which they will swap out.
    Has anyone changed the flat bar to a low riser?
    Thanks in advance.

LA CHÈVRE
    Nothing really needs to be changed, it's pretty much all top components on that bike, a few things can be swapped for personal preferences and/or your local trail conditions. Tires, saddle are very personnal choices, if you prefer a riser bar, go ahead and put one, nothing wrong with that.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I changed to a riser on mine, adjusting riding position to be the same as my Rush. The riser works well enough, after getting used to it, being wider, with more back sweep, and the difference in height. I hit a few trees with the bar's ends till I got used to it. So if you want to change, do it before you get too used to the flat bar!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, Dan Gerous, what bike are you riding?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Hmm, Dan Gerous, what bike are you riding?
    I have a few but my main mountain bike now is a Prophet, going for a new Scalpel next.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ic, sadly the new Scalpel isnt that light, unless you get the LTD version , the weight is similar to Scott Spark
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

LA CHÈVRE
    But it's much stiffer and durable than a Scott Spark. Anyway, my plan is to get a frame, Lefty SL and Hollowgram SL crankset and build it from there... But this thread is about the 2007, we're going off here.

mtbr member
    scarsellone,
    Purely out of Curiosity, why are you not holding about for the new 2008 model scalpel. I'm guessing by the level of bike that you purchaced, that you know what you are looking for. So, I'm not questioning your purchace, but just picking your brain as to why you bought a high-end model at the last of its run, when the new 08's are right around the corner. Again, this is just out of my own curiosity.
    thanks,
    greenhill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Purely out of Curiosity, why are you not holding about for the new 2008 model scalpel. I'm guessing by the level of bike that you purchaced, that you know what you are looking for. So, I'm not questioning your purchace, but just picking your brain as to why you bought a high-end model at the last of its run, when the new 08's are right around the corner. Again, this is just out of my own curiosity.
    I agree, and not to offend you anything, how you know the Scalpel is much stiffer and durable then the Spark? I read over magazines and it seems most of them comment on the Spark stiffness and downhill capability as a XC bike being able to ride like the trail bikes out there.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

LA CHÈVRE
    I don't trust magazines much, many are more concerned to please companies that buy advertisment pages than writing honest reviews. But I'm taking the whole system: frame, fork and crankset. The Spark kit, to be as light or lighter than a Scalpel, will have a much less stiff fork and crankset. According to the graphs below, the Spark is still better than offerings from Specialized, Trek and others, but the Scalpel with a Hollowgram SL crankset and a Lefty still wins. I took those graphs on the weightweenies.starbike.com forums, not sure about their source, it might be from Cannondale so that would be a bit biased. But even at equal weight and stiffness, I'd still take the Scalpel, integrated seatposts are not a good idea to me and Scott frames have the not so enviable reputation of being very easy to break... And yeah, they don't have Lefties and BB30 cranksets... I'm a bit biased too I guess!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good Question! The Scalpel is a demo which the Mgr rode 3 times. It's in mint cond ,& the price was 25% off their cost price. The new ones are $6500 US.
    I may still change my mind. My original thought was buy it, then wait a few years & buy a new frame & swap comp's.
    The only thing that bothers me is that the new frame has more travel & the shock is more accesable now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    BB30 cranks, hmm interesting, I wonder which company will build BB30 compatible cranks in the future.
    If you were to look at Cannondale 08 Scalpel prices and weight, it seems its not that light anymore:
    Well just went to see the local Cannondale dealer, and here's the info on the 08 range.

The 8.3kg Scalpel is a Limited Edition, only 25 for Europe at a staggering 12 000Euros.
    New record price?!
    So forget that, it's just a showpiece.
    Next is the Team whatever, which is 7700Euros, and 9.6kg, not looking so good is it?
    Then 5700Euros for the next one down, probably just over 10kg.
    Then 4200Euros, still the carbon frame, probably about 11kg.
    Below that it's alu frame.
    So it could be that the Spark noses back into the lead again.............!
    Posted by bernithebiker in another post.

So I have the feeling from the weight, the ultralight 8.3kg Scalpel uses Cannondale Hollogram cranks while the other model has a high possibility of not.
    And anyway, only Spark LTD offers integrated seatpost, the rest of Scott Spark series doesnt offer IS.
    Its hard to compare both bike stiffness without including the fork or cranks cause Cannondale Scalpel selling point is the flexy chainstay, BB30 cranks and Lefty fork. So thats 3 propierty bike designs which like what Specialized always say, promote better bike handling.
    But hey, RockShox SID itself is not a stiff fork, thats why I said its a bit biased. Good luck on ur bike
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsellone
    Good Question! The Scalpel is a demo which the Mgr rode 3 times. It's in mint cond ,& the price was 25% off their cost price. The new ones are $6500 US.
    I may still change my mind. My original thought was buy it, then wait a few years & buy a new frame & swap comp's.
    The only thing that bothers me is that the new frame has more travel & the shock is more accesable now.
    Cool Man!, makes sense. Enjoy your Ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsellone
    I'm riding an 07 team scalpel with a headshok! and here are my reasons for doing this, given that when I bought it I knew all too well the new 08 was just around the corner (well 7 months or so for me when I bought the 07). I was only buying a frame and fork, all my components came off my hardtail. I went the headshok because I could use an existing wheelset and mainly because it was dirt cheap compared to the lefty SL, we figured I'd be better off waiting a year or so for the price to drop and cannondale getting any bugs out of the new fork, by that time the money spent on the fatty would be less than the price drop on the SL! so no real loss there. Now onto the frame, again the price was great, but that wasn't the only reason...I figured the last of the great scalpels has 5 years of little changes that have improved it to make it such a great bike, not that the first scalpels were bad, just that the last one will the best of that model! As you can see by the 08 Rush's they have made changes to increase the rear end stiffness, not to say the 07 was bad, just the 08 is better! So I know the 08 scalpel looks the bomb (and trust me I would love one) but I think the 07 could be a good call at the moment, then in a year or 2 see all the little improvements in the new scalpel and enjoy the price drops (lefty's as well)!
    oh and by the way I was in the shop and they weighed my Scalpel yesterday it has all xtr 960 components (cranks as well, with adapter) and came in at 9960 grams

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    BB30 cranks, hmm interesting, I wonder which company will build BB30 compatible cranks in the future.
    If you were to look at Cannondale 08 Scalpel prices and weight, it seems its not that light anymore:
    Well just went to see the local Cannondale dealer, and here's the info on the 08 range.

Posted by bernithebiker in another post.

So I have the feeling from the weight, the ultralight 8.3kg Scalpel uses Cannondale Hollogram cranks while the other model has a high possibility of not.
    And anyway, only Spark LTD offers integrated seatpost, the rest of Scott Spark series doesnt offer IS.
    Its hard to compare both bike stiffness without including the fork or cranks cause Cannondale Scalpel selling point is the flexy chainstay, BB30 cranks and Lefty fork. So thats 3 propierty bike designs which like what Specialized always say, promote better bike handling.
    But hey, RockShox SID itself is not a stiff fork, thats why I said its a bit biased. Good luck on ur bike
    scalpel ultimatum and team version has thas ther 650 gram cranks, the only diffrent is that the ultimatum version has carbon chainring,so it´s even lighter then 650 gram (inkluding bottom bracket)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    scalpel ultimatum and team version has thas ther 650 gram cranks, the only diffrent is that the ultimatum version has carbon chainring,so it´s even lighter then 650 gram (inkluding bottom bracket)
    Wow, thats interesting, but being Cannondale own crankset, I assume you must go to their dealer if you want to replace the chainrings?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

LA CHÈVRE
    Chainrings are standard 5-bolt 94 BCD (2x9 spider) or 4-bolt 104 BCD (3 ring spider)... easy to find and you can switch just the spider too. And more and more manufacturers are jumping in the BB30 standard. FSA, Zipp, Specialized, Orbea... But the Hollowgram SL is still THE crankset of cranksets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    FSA? really, their road model? I dont see a BB30 MTB cranks except Cannondale and Specialized prototype cranks though
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

LA CHÈVRE
    Others are not out yet.

Specialized are not prototypes, they already are available on road bikes but not yet on mountain bikes... unless you are on their pro team.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FSA allready manifacture the carbon cannondale cranks, so it´s not hard to understand that it would be easy for them to start produce there own bb30 crank, now when the standard is open up by cannondale.

the triple chainring version has weighted 660 gram with bottombracket since 2004, so i wonder what the weight wil be on the dual chainring version

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    oh I didn know FSA manafacture Cannondal carbon cranks. Cool, I guess by 2010?, XC bikes will be updated with BB30?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar
    FSA allready manifacture the carbon cannondale cranks, so it´s not hard to understand that it would be easy for them to start produce there own bb30 crank, now when the standard is open up by cannondale.

the triple chainring version has weighted 660 gram with bottombracket since 2004, so i wonder what the weight wil be on the dual chainring version
    I think the claimed weight of the Hollowgram SL Triple is 615 gr (cranks, rings, bolts, BB), the Double ring version should be a little lighter since it has no granny, less bolts and a slightly smaller middle ring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I wonder if CrankBros Cobalt cranks price listed in their site is true, cause it weights 565g with rings and hardware. And for next year they are going to use external BB
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

LA CHÈVRE
    I wonder if CrankBros Cobalt cranks price listed in their site is true, cause it weights 565g with rings and hardware. And for next year they are going to use external BB
    That's the weight without a BB, the Hollowgram is with the BB.... And it's about time they ditch the ISIS BB, as much as I like Crank Brothers pedals, they are behind in the crankset world...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    scarsellone, dunno if you've bought the bike yet, but if not buy it. 25 of cost price is a great deal. if all the components are in great shape you could always just get the cheapest of the new alu ones next year, swap the components and sell the old one with the new parts. though, if you're really into the newest of the newest a carbon will have to be had. if i were you i would prob get the current offering as it still is a great bike, see if i liked it and eventually upgraded it. then i would go the above mentioned route and keep the cheaper one for commuting etc so i could have a great commuter, but one that i could afford to have stolen - or at least it is not a big of a deal as if my team bike was stolen.

oh my the weather here is shitty. the rain is banging quite hard against the window. no good that, no good at all. makes for muddy trails which is actually abit of fun as long as its just slippery and not the somme.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast