Chopper
    Nov 2007

2007 Rush 3Z vs. Prophet

I am looking to buy my first full-suspension bike and I have a chance to get a great deal on a 2007 Rush 3Z. I was really thinking Prophet at first because all of my buds say that you should buy 5" travel minimum for the riding we do. Does the extra inch or so make a huge difference? I am a 200lbs rider. Ride in NJ and PA - some places are pretty technical and rocky/rooty. Also plan a few trips to VT. What do you guys think? Would I be making a mistake with the Rush?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am in exactly the same boat as you, except I'm waiting for the new 130mm bike coming out this spring. In short, I'd say a prophet because the rush has a fairly low bb and doesn't fare as well on my local super-rooty trails with lots of logs to hop and such. I'd say the extra travel makes a huge difference and that the prophet will do better as an all-around bike. I'd try them both out though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If your buddies are all telling you to buy a 5in travel bike, they probably have a better understanding of what kind of riding they do than anybody on a message board does. That said, if you feel that you're leaning towards XC racing (but still want a useable trail bike that won't beat you up), go with the Rush.

If you're thinking about drops and rocky descents and want a far more versatile trail bike go Prophet. You'll get a touch more travel and beefier components. And yes, the travel does make a difference. I'd say for the majority of people with technical trails, a trail/All mountain bike is typically a better/more fun option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just got one of those great deals on a 07 rush 3z. I weigh 195 and came off of a f3 hardtail and absolutely love my 3z. I would say my riding is mostly all mountain in southeast Tn. Just got back from my second ride which was at Chilahowee in Ocoee, Tn. This ride had epic climb, rock gardens, plenty of roots and a fast decent home. My max speed was 28mph down a hill littered with water bars and I was impressed with rush's suspensions. What surprised me the most was how well the Rush climbed. I would vote for the Rush.

mtbr member
    It sounds like the prophet would fit the bill better. That said, my friend has a superlight and can outride me on my prophet any day. The rush will serve you better on long rides and will be faster on ascents, but the prophet will handle rough terrain up and down much better.

I always think of the rush like a sportscar and the prophet like an SUV.

Ridin' dirty!
    I agree! Go with a Prophet....Not only that it has more usable suspension travel...the frame is also beefier than the Rush and is way better suited for drops and bigger hits.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Or wait just a couple of weeks until the details on the new 130mm bike from Cannondale will be public and undoubtedly much discussen on this forum. That bike might fit in nicely between the Prophet and the Rush. Best of both worlds ...?

Chopper
    Nov 2007
    That's funny. I am on an F3 right now too.

mtbr member
    I've ridden a prophet and a rush but i own a prophet. Not for the price but for the feel.