mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2007 Prophet 5 - known issues and "worth"

I've been sniffing around for a bike upgrade and found on craigslist an 07 prophet 5. Appears to be stock according to the listed specs and said to be lightly ridden with no mechanical or structural issues.

Wondering if there are any issues with the bike/components/etc. that could be a cause for concern.

Also, assuming you wanted this particular bike, what would be a reasonable price to pay? Saw on bikepidia or somewhere that MSRP was 1600 clams then.

Thanks in advance.

Just a flesh wound
    No known issues. It is a great frame. The wheels are weak (Mavic 117) the bottom bracket is cheap (Truvativ ISIS ). The Lefty is the FFD which is not quite as good as TPC, but it is still a nice Lefty. Other than that it will give you years of smiles. I have an '05 800. I upgraded to a SKF bottom bracket, which is ISIS and used the same cranks. I upgraded to a SPV valved rear shock (Manitou Swinger 3-way) which eliminated pedal bob.

$900 is my estimate.

Just a flesh wound
    I forgot to mention that I upgraded the wheels which were the same as yours. The got destroyed 1 at a time so I got the Mavic 819 laced to the front Lefty Hub and put a Mavic Cross Land on the rear. I wanted to go with the Spinergy Xyclone front and rear, but I wasn't patient enough and got the bike fixed as soon as I could at the LBS and got what they had, but no regrets on the 819 front wheel. Very stiff, strong and smooth with the Enduro bearings.