mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Is this a 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra? - did I get a decent deal?

Looking for some Cannondale-specific advice here. I owned a Super V w/Spinergys many years ago and yesterday picked up what I believe is a Bad Boy Ultra from my local bike shop. Reputable guy/company who has een around for 50+ years. He was telling me all that has changed with Cannondale. I had no idea. I did choose the bike I bought because it was a few years old and one of the ones still handmade in the US. Says Ultra on the front forks, single head shock with lockout knob and rebound adjustment, Avid f/r disc brakes. SRAM x-7 shifters, Deore crank, Sram X-7 rear derailleur, brand new Shimano SpeedDisc wheels and Crossroads Armadillo tires. The frame is a powdercoat black with dark black (almost camo looking) Cannondale decals. Serial number is S042786 so I believe this puts it as a 2007 model. My guy said this bike was hands down a great used bike find and an excellent bike overall. Being out of it for a while I can only take him for his word. There was another Cannondale that was a little newer, not in as good of shape (but still sharp), had rear suspension and just looked meaner. He said that bike isn't made in US and would be significantly heavier. Based on his recommendation I took this one home and rode for 2hrs immediately. I loved it. I won't be a hardcore mtb'r but will take on trails around me any chance I get.

How'd I do? Any other intel on this bike? Are any of the components upgrades? Before anyone says it - I've taken the reflectors off and will be getting a new seat...The kickstand came on it an it's actually kinda helpful to have in my garage with our other bikes.

My budget was under 1k and I came in at $800. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra? - did I get a decent deal?-730756d1350269263-back-saddle-howd-i-do-image.jpg  

Last edited by ddublu; 10-15-2012 at 06:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Looks in great shape. Enjoy the ride!

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Nice bike, and it looks like it's just what you need!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yep, that is the 2007 Caffeine-framed BBU. They also increased the gearing for the 2007 model year, to 48/38/26....so it accelerates more like a Cyclocross bike now.

I bought a 2001 BBU project frame and Headshok DL fork. It's gonna get repainted and fully serviced(fork). Then, I'm building it with full 9-speed SRAM X0 and SRAM Rival Cyclocross cranks, and carbon 700c/29er wheels. Goal is to bring it down to sub-17 pounds. Enjoy!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"