Thread: 2006 scalpel

go vegan!
    Sep 2010

2006 scalpel

a couple questions about a 2006 scalpel 3000 that i might buy. it seems to be in great shape besides the scratches and dings from riding.
    here are my questions:

the frame is a small and im 5'3" do you think this is the right size frame? btw, im going from an old 18" m600.

im told that the lefty is do for a seal/oil service. how much $$$ do these usually run?

what level scalpel is this? i plan on racing with this, do you think it would hold up in the long run?

do the shocks have a lock out option?

how much $$$ would you guys spend/is it worth, for basically a 5 year old scalpel?

sorry about all the questions. newb here when it comes to all these new mtn bikes, hence me still riding a m600. LOL

thanks in advance for your responses.

mtbr member
    I'll try to help you the best I can...

The small frame will be a perfect fit. You wouldn't want anything bigger and that includes an 18" frame. You will notice the difference as soon as you get on the Scalpel.
    I don't know how much a service charge will be for the lefty, but you should also get the rear shock done as well. That should be around $100-$150 for the rear shock.
    If the Scalpel still has the stock parts, then yes, you will be getting yourself a sweet bike that will hold up in some races. The shock should have lock out, not sure about the lefty as the stock lefty for that model has a Fox terralogic. http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/32_F-SERIES go here to get an understanding on terralogic.
    I don't know what you should pay for a 5 year old bike.