mtbr member
    Sep 2006

2006 Prophet 400 or 2007 Prophet 6

Hi All,

I'm close to buying a Cannondale Prophet. I test rode the 2006 Prophet 1000, 600, and 400. I really like the series. I started out in the $400 price range for a new bike, so really the Prophet 400 is awesome and a bit of a stretch for me (finance wise). But after test riding for several weeks, the $400 dollar bikes and hardtails in general just didn't do much for me. I have not been able to find a 2007 Prophet to test ride, though the online specs list simliar parts for the 07 P 6, and 06 P 400.

My question now is should I go for the 2006 Prophet 400 or is there a big difference / reason to go with the 2007 Prophet 6?

The parts look very similar to me, and the LBS's are giving the same price for both, 1299.
    Only things I see different - SRAM SX5 trigger on 07, X-7 on 06 - is this a big difference? which is better?

Marz AM4 140mm on 07, AM3 150mm on 06 -- 2006 sounds better (am i right?)

07 comes with "Cannondale V-tech grip" but I am not sure what this is.

I may be able to ask the LBS for a small break on the 06 400?

Thanks for any input!!

LA CHÈVRE
    The 06 seems like a better bike. X-7 is a bit higher up than the X-5 on the SRAM's scale. I don't know the details about the Marz forks but the AM4 is a cheaper OEM version so I would guess the AM3 is better indeed. The Cannondale V-tech grips are just that, grips, nothing special, not lock-on grips, don't rest your decision on that one.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Could be different here in Europe but...

Why not kick it up a couple of notches with the 2005 Prophet 600? I hooked one over here in Spain for about 1800 a year ago, so they must be getting cheaper over there by now. It's a great value bike: XT/LX, Hayes 9 discs, Radium rear shock (not tooo bad for the price), and you get to go Lefty, with 140mm of plush love. Check it. With a couple of later upgrades you get a pretty kick ass bike for the price.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The 06 seems like a better bike. X-7 is a bit higher up than the X-5 on the SRAM's scale. I don't know the details about the Marz forks but the AM4 is a cheaper OEM version so I would guess the AM3 is better indeed. The Cannondale V-tech grips are just that, grips, nothing special, not lock-on grips, don't rest your decision on that one.

X-7 from last year is the same as SX-5 this year. SRAM upgraded the X-0 and dropped the technology to the X-9. The X-9 became the X-7 and the X-7 became the SX-5. So basically it is a different name but the same functionality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hi all,

Thanks for the input! Ewan, the LBS was trying to push the 05 600 on me. I took it for a test ride, but it just seemed a bit unstable (wondered if the Lefty fork earlier/newer technology??), and the rear fork was not as nice as the 06 400. I would also have to switch my SRAMs on, and the bike "did not come with pedals"... finally the color was not as nice as the 400 silver. ... so it felt like a bit of a headache. (also are those hydraulic brakes? I was leaning toward mechanical disc brakes).

I did toss and turn last nite about the REI specials: 06 600 ($1299), 06 1000 ($1900). My LBS claims to price match, so I might be able to ask them to see if they can track down these bikes and price match.... Wonder if I should go for higher grade prophet???

But I do really like the Marz forks, and am not sure what all the hype is regarding the lefty. It felt good on the 06 1000, ... but on other test rides gave me a bit off-center/uneven ride. ....

I am still weighing things over and waiting to hear if my LBS can track down a silver 06 400 in my size....

One other question, the adjustable frame feature sure looked neat. Anyone ever use this feature? I am assuming it changes the geometry/feel of the bike a little bit.

Thanks again for your input!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny_rider
    Hi all,

Thanks for the input! Ewan, the LBS was trying to push the 05 600 on me. I took it for a test ride, but it just seemed a bit unstable (wondered if the Lefty fork earlier/newer technology??), and the rear fork was not as nice as the 06 400. I would also have to switch my SRAMs on, and the bike "did not come with pedals"... finally the color was not as nice as the 400 silver. ... so it felt like a bit of a headache. (also are those hydraulic brakes? I was leaning toward mechanical disc brakes).

I did toss and turn last nite about the REI specials: 06 600 ($1299), 06 1000 ($1900). My LBS claims to price match, so I might be able to ask them to see if they can track down these bikes and price match.... Wonder if I should go for higher grade prophet???

But I do really like the Marz forks, and am not sure what all the hype is regarding the lefty. It felt good on the 06 1000, ... but on other test rides gave me a bit off-center/uneven ride. ....

I am still weighing things over and waiting to hear if my LBS can track down a silver 06 400 in my size....

One other question, the adjustable frame feature sure looked neat. Anyone ever use this feature? I am assuming it changes the geometry/feel of the bike a little bit.

Thanks again for your input!
    Any Lefty is way better than the AM forks IMO, maybe the Lefty you tried wasn't properly adjusted for your weight and style. The unbalanced feel is all in the head, these things track and steer with precision that would put plastic surgeon to shame. Sometimes, the Lefty can pull slightly to one side when riding with no hands but it's the cable routing/length that is at fault in these situations. Of course, I'm not pushing the 05 on you as I don't care if it stays in their shop (they might want to make it go more than beleive it's a better bike) but to me, buying a Prophet without a Lefty, is missing half the quality of this wonderful bike.

For the brakes, uit really depends what model are on there but I think hydraulics are superior to mechanical brakes. Less adjusting, better modulation are the main advantages for me.

As for the rear 'fork' (you must mean shock), the 05 600 was speced with a Radium too (from what I know, nothing changed on the Radiums in 06).

As for the adjustable geometry, most set it on one mode and leave it there. I do use it depending where I'll ride and how I'll ride. If I am going to do a lot of climbing, fast tight trails, I set it on XC, this make the bike climb a bit easier, steer quicker. If I plan to go faster and go down fast carving trails, I set it on FR, this makes the bike more stable, with a lower center of gravity and the angle of the fork makes it eat bigger bumps even easier. It's a nice feature I think.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-18-2006 at 07:03 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just bought an 06 Prophet 400 in Orange. I am pretty impressed with the bike, it is a little bit heavier than I thought (34 lbs). I picked the 400 over the mostly because of price, and the fact that I like to make my own upgrades, and have already swapped out the bars, stem, seat and post, levers, and the wheels and tires for lighter components, and am probably going to go with a lighter fork as well. The drivetrain I will switch out as stuff breaks. Even with the above mentioned upgrades I spent under $2000 and have a pretty good bike.