mtbr member

2005 prophet vs 2006 prophet

the only real difference i see is rims being mavic 819 on the 2005 and mavic crossland on the 2006, which rim is actually better? cause i noticed that the 2006 prophet 2000 has the mavic 819 not the crossland, it should have the better rim, right?

shiny side up
    Not for sure which prophets your looking at, but I have a 2005 prophet 2000 and it came with the Mavic 819 rims. They seem very solid, look nice, etc. I've heard some bad things about the hubs. I never experieced any problems personally, but for fun (and christmas) I just upgraded to the Crossmax SL.

I just checked out Mavic's website, it shows the crosslands as being a new entry level wheelset. - "The Crossland is an entry-priced wheel, but, with its range of features, it has nothing to be embarassed about : FTS-L hub, straight pull spokes, welded rim, removable sealed cartridge bearings, and a UST rim strip to ensure an airtight seal and to offer the possibility to ride UST tubeless. It is compatible with rim brakes and disc brakes."

So I'd say the 819 is still your best bet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you are only looking for the answer to which rim is the better, the XM-819 wins by a neck. If you are looking for the answer to which wheel set is better, well that depends on which hubs that those 819's are laced to.

I actually have a set of the new Crosslands for my wifes F2000 & I think they rock for the money, but then I also have a set of 819's laced to a Hugi 240s & a Lefty Omega as well as a set of Crossmax SL's for Lefty that I use with my Prophet, these wheels really rock!

Ex-Clydesdale
    The hubs that came laced to the 819 rims in '05 are a bit disappointing, moreso the rear than the front. No problems so far with the front (not much to go wrong really), but the rear is constantly loosening itself up on mine, regardless of how well I adjust the play in it. Seems to be pretty common.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah C-Dale shoulda stuck with the DT Swiss Hugi rears.
    The only issue I've had with mine in over 2 years was the lightweight aluminum cassette body wearing out prematurely due to sloppy Shimano XT cassette carrier dimensions.
    I've since had the body replaced with a new one & run SRAM cassettes now -which have a tighter orbital tolerance than Shimano. No signs of wear to the cassette body so far.

Bike to the Bone...
    I have the Crossland's and they are a nice value wheelset, if a bit heavy. I think they're around 200 for the set, and can go UST, disk or rim.

Unit 91
    For 2006 they also went to a FSA Crankset on the 1000. Which is the one you were probably talking about I am guessing. I had problems too with my Prophet 1000 rear hub so I replaced it with a Chirs King then later put on a SRAM PG-990 Cassette. All laced to my original 819. Pretty sweet rear wheel now I would say myself.
    Bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0