Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sofa King We Todd Did

2004 Jekyll 800: praise, concerns, issues?

It's that time of year again - when bike shops offer tasty deals to unload this current year's models to make room for the next year's. As such, I've been offered a somewhat tasty deal (about a grand and a half) on a 2004 Jekyll 800, and wanted to ask those in the know their opinions on this bike.

A bit of background - I'm really new to this mountain biking thing, and I've been riding for about 5 months. I ride an entry-level hardtail that's a tad too small for me. Plus I'm having a blast riding it every weekend on the trails, while this bike was only intended for occasional trail use. In any case, I decided that I'm really digging mountain bike riding and I'm looking to get something more substantial. I do mostly trail riding in and around the NYC area.

So, any thoughts on the Jekyll 800? At first I was terribly cautious about that Lefty fork but after reading the many glowing reviews, I'm a little less concerned and realize that I just need to get over its awkward features. The rest of the bike seems rather nice, as I know I'm looking for nothing less than LX-level parts and disc brakes are a must. For that price, I realize I'm getting that and quite a bit more.

But before I go simply on a few dozen reviews, I thought I'd ask the gang here about what you know about Jekylls and the 800 in particular. Especially in light of Cannondale's recent plans to abandon that platform and move toward the Prophet.

Thought, concerns, issues, praise?

Thanks a million!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Jekyll 800

I bought the 800 3 months ago for the same price you mentioned.
    I just love them. Rode 20 trails so far with them and I love them. Most rides where in NJ-Alpine area (very rocky and technical). Few rides in Blue Mountain ans Ringwood park.
    Last week I took them to East Hampton - more sandy enviroment and their tires where a bit slippery... I guess I will need to replace both tires soon.

I bought mine in Manhattan - Larry & Jeff's bike shop at 2nd & 88th St. You can a $250 value kit if you buy there.... Ask for K.C. - he is an expert.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    It's that time of year again - when bike shops offer tasty deals to unload this current year's models to make room for the next year's. As such, I've been offered a somewhat tasty deal (about a grand and a half) on a 2004 Jekyll 800, and wanted to ask those in the know their opinions on this bike.

A bit of background - I'm really new to this mountain biking thing, and I've been riding for about 5 months. I ride an entry-level hardtail that's a tad too small for me. Plus I'm having a blast riding it every weekend on the trails, while this bike was only intended for occasional trail use. In any case, I decided that I'm really digging mountain bike riding and I'm looking to get something more substantial. I do mostly trail riding in and around the NYC area.

So, any thoughts on the Jekyll 800? At first I was terribly cautious about that Lefty fork but after reading the many glowing reviews, I'm a little less concerned and realize that I just need to get over its awkward features. The rest of the bike seems rather nice, as I know I'm looking for nothing less than LX-level parts and disc brakes are a must. For that price, I realize I'm getting that and quite a bit more.

But before I go simply on a few dozen reviews, I thought I'd ask the gang here about what you know about Jekylls and the 800 in particular. Especially in light of Cannondale's recent plans to abandon that platform and move toward the Prophet.

Thought, concerns, issues, praise?

Thanks a million!
    Any idea what the MSRP is on the bike? Cause if someone else got the same deal 3 months ago, you might do better if a Prophet is sitting on the floor beside of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbakercad
    Any idea what the MSRP is on the bike? Cause if someone else got the same deal 3 months ago, you might do better if a Prophet is sitting on the floor beside of it.
    $1899

ceteris paribus
    If I was you, I'll wait for the 2005 line to go public. Once that happens you'll get it cheaper.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

Sofa King We Todd Did
    xctico, you're assuming that the bike will sit there, waiting for me. I can't assume that risk, someone else may be on the market for a bike just like that, you never know.

One quick thing - I may have read something about front wheels being an issue to replace with the Lefty fork. Any truth to that? Because of the Lefty configuration, are special wheels required if I wanted to change my wheels later on? If so, what sort of complications am I facing? Does the front wheel still work on a quick release?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    xctico, you're assuming that the bike will sit there, waiting for me. I can't assume that risk, someone else may be on the market for a bike just like that, you never know.

One quick thing - I may have read something about front wheels being an issue to replace with the Lefty fork. Any truth to that? Because of the Lefty configuration, are special wheels required if I wanted to change my wheels later on? If so, what sort of complications am I facing? Does the front wheel still work on a quick release?
    Taking the wheel off will require a removing a few more extra screws off of the disc brakes- the entire process of changing a wheel will take you an entire 2 minutes longer. On the other hand, you don't even need to take the wheel off to change a flat tire- VERY CONVENIENT!

An inconvenience you might face is that you will need an adapter for fork mounted bike racks. However, racks that dont require any wheel removals are becoming increasingly more popular and they are very affordable.

The lefty is the best fork out there. I can gaurantee that you will love the 800. The bike simply rocks.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cool, changing the wheel is a cinch - got it. Not that I'm already thinking about changing wheels and such, but I really need to think about this bike in the long-term. In the future, if I need a new wheelset, would any disc wheelset fit or do I need specially made wheels to fit that Lefty fork?

mtbr member

Jekyll 800

I have had my Jekyll 800 for two months now and I really like it. The suspension setup is awesome, I notice a big difference going downhill and uphill. I am in the process of dropping a little weight from the bike via new tires, Stans, pedals, seat. I also plan on removing the rear lockout. I have no complaints with the drivetrain or the brakes. I paid $1850. I would suggest that if you do like the bike and your LBS has the right size and paint scheme, that you buy the bike. It took a month for my bike to come in, that's a long time to wait to ride. Good luck!

Poser
    In the future, if I need a new wheelset, would any disc wheelset fit or do I need specially made wheels to fit that Lefty fork?
    The Lefty uses a special hub, meaning that you can't just put any front disc wheel on there.

You can however find prebuilt Lefty wheels on Ebay, or have your own wheel built with a Lefty hub.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    What's this special hub? Does it have a name or do I simply refer to it as Cannondale Lefty-compatible? Sorry for what seems like a barrage of inane questions, but I tend to like to know exactly what I'm getting myself into before I... well, get into it.

Cheers.

LA CHÈVRE
    You need a Lefty-compatible hub, that means either a conveniently named Cannondale Lefty hub, Woodman hub or a set of expensive Mavic CrossMax SL Disc Lefty

mtbr member
    I have had my Jekyll 800 and love it. Also let a friend try it that is a more experienced rider and he was impressed as well.

ceteris paribus
    Well, you're right about that. There is a risk, but there's also a chance of profit involved. Just like any bussiness, the higher the risk the higher the profit.
    I'm currently buying a road bike, and I'm trying to get a good second hand deal with some help from my LBS (Im looking for something around $1000 second hand). So it's just a matter of patience.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Well, I went and had a look... and a bit of a test ride. I came home with this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Huge Tracts of Land
    LOL nice

impulse buy??

nice looking ride!

ceteris paribus
    I really hate it when that happens....

I walk into my LBS looking for a gatorade... I walk out with some SIDI shoes, Chain Lubricant, a new set of wheels, brake pads... and I forgott the Gatorade.... (never actually walked out with a bike out of the blue, but is mostly cause of lack of money, not cause I didn't want to... If I could, I would.)

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Impulse purchase? HAH! I don't have the balls. No, I thought long and hard over this bike. Ever since I was offered this bike last Friday. Toiled and researched the bike and other comparable alternatives just so I know that I'm not jumping into this just because it was a heavily discounted bike. That's why I started this thread to get your thoughts on this bike.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help here. You guys were very forthcoming with your answers to my queries, and when I didn't come across a single complaint about this bike - not here, not in the reviews section, nowhere - that pretty much made up my mind about the bike. In the end it came down to the ride itself... and the price. Both worked out.

Now if only I can find a way of mounting my computer on that Lefty. The Lefty manual shows that it's possible, but there just isn't enough clearance between the shock itself and the rotor to mount the magnet.

I plan on going out on Friday afternoon and beating the crap out of it if I can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Bike looks great. Enjoy!

Lucifer rides an mtb

Lefty bike computer no problem

I've got an older Jeckyll (3000sx about 4 years old)... put off getting a bike computer for 2 years because I couldn't figure out how to do it in a way that would be reliable. A senior mechanic at my LBS (used to work for on C'dales race team) convinced me it was easy... and he was right! I bought a Vetta V100HR wireless computer and he installed it in about 5 minutes (including program settings). Going wireless eliminates concerns about wires and the degree of travel on a Lefty. The other main concern people have with Lefty's is the mounting of the wheel sensor and magnet... I can't believe how simple dealing with that was! He took a different magnet (Specialized: small, compact, low profile) and mounted it with small zip ties to the "spoke" of my brake rotor... at distance from the hub that was not in the way of the brake pads/housing. The wireless wheel sensor unit also zip-tied to the lower section of my fork just above the hub.

I have been using this computer for about 16 months... the odo reads about 2900 miles... no problems so far... I use the computer every time I ride (all kinds of conditions).

Good luck!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Is that the trick, then - get a slimmer magnet? I presume that all computer magnets are alike and that any magnet with work with my Cateye Enduro 8? That's pretty much the only problem I'm faced with right now - the Cateye Enduro 8 magnet is simply to thick to fit between the rotor and the shock arm. I take it this Specialized magnet is slimmer and can be purchased separately?

Lucifer rides an mtb

will post a picture

give me an hour and I'll post a pic of how this is set up... it's really pretty simple

Lucifer rides an mtb

here you go... pics of computer on Jeckyll w/ Lefty

I am attaching two pictures: 1) the "dashboard" of my bike showing mounting of wireless head of computer (one side note - the way the upper bracket on Leftys is built allows enough of a span to wrap a sports radio around it and keeps it out of the way... great compliment to my iPod), 2) the hub area showing where the wireless wheel sensor is mounted and where the Specialized magnet has been mounted on my brake spoke. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cool. Except, I'm trying to run my wired Cateye Enduro 8 on the bike. The sensor can be attached fine, my problem is the magnet. I guess I could try this on my own, but since I'm not around my gear and the bike right now, I'll ask anyway. Would the sensor still read if the magnet was mounted in a flipped position? In other words, the magnet surface would be facing away from the sensor and the little plastic clamp would be facing the sensor. At such close proximity, would the sensor be able to pick up the magnet? Or does it become a polarity issue?

Lucifer rides an mtb

probably not

if your wheel sensor is so big it won't allow for the magnet to be mounted on the outside surface of the brake, I'd say you're probably going to have trouble with accuracy of the reading. Check the install instrcutions for the computer to see if it lists what the acceptable range is for distance between magnet and sensor... if you're outside that range, you'll get either no reading or inaccurate readings. I'm guessing that polarity won't matter but have never really tried reversing a magnet. You can try it to see if it works... hopefully you've used your computer enough to know distance/speed on certain courses and can tell if the thing is reading properly. If not, may have to get a new computer. I favor wireless because of the long travel of the fork and the associated issues with routing a cable in a way that it stays in place yet yields to the varying lengths it needs to be at. Despite all the posts about wireless reliability, I have not expereinced any problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast