Thread: 2004 jekyll

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2004 jekyll

Hi All,
    As a new member to the mountain biking scene, i have bought a new old stock 2004 jekyll 1000 three months ago. It was hanging on a rack at my local bike shop and they were selling it at cost price in order to get rid of it.At cost price it was hard to overlook, so i thought it to be a good buy and bought it.
    My question is should i have bought an the entry level rush or prophet instead of the jekyll 1000 as that was what the budget would allow for? As i haven't ridden a rush or prophet i i wouldn't have a clue how they compare.

I have to admit i absolutly love the jekyll, I'm riding it more tham my road bike atm.

cheers

lurkio
    Jul 2007
    The jekyll is a good bike, the rush and prophet are really just progressive moves to satisfy the current trends. Light, med travel and long travel, tougher, but not dh heavy. If you ride somewhere inbetween these types then the jekyll is not going to let you down
    We went, earth, sky, earth sky, earth skyambulance

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by reparto corse
    Hi All,
    As a new member to the mountain biking scene, i have bought a new old stock 2004 jekyll 1000 three months ago. It was hanging on a rack at my local bike shop and they were selling it at cost price in order to get rid of it.At cost price it was hard to overlook, so i thought it to be a good buy and bought it.
    My question is should i have bought an the entry level rush or prophet instead of the jekyll 1000 as that was what the budget would allow for? As i haven't ridden a rush or prophet i i wouldn't have a clue how they compare.

I have to admit i absolutly love the jekyll, I'm riding it more tham my road bike atm.

cheers
    Hi, i've both 06 customized Rush (SLR wheels, XT crank, ...) and 04 Jekyll 900: There are differences between the two bikes: substantially, Rush is more rigid, lighter and "race oriented", while Jek is a bit more comfortable. In one word, let's say that Jek is more all mountain and rush is more XC. Anyway, there is a lot of "bike fields" where both are OK, even if Jek is more downhill oriented while Rush is more uphill oriented. For example, when climbing up hill on slopy technical tracks maybe Jek wins, in spite of it's 2 kgs more! On the contrary, the higher stiffness of Lefty speed DLR sometimes is better suited downhill than the softness of Lefty max. Moreover, Jek's swingarm is laterally much more stiff (maybe lateral swingarm flex is the only defect i rescountered on Rush)
    Anyway, both are great bikes and if your budget let you purchase Jek 1000, keep it and go! Unless you often race, you'll appreciate, ride by ride, its great features!
    Ciao

mtbr member
    i have a 03 jekyll and i love it. but, the prophet is better. but, just ride your bike and get a prophet or whatever is after that later.