mtbr member

2004 Jekyll 1000 Question

I laid away a 2004 Jekyll at my LBS, they offered it to me for $2000 which (I think) is a pretty good deal for a new Jekyll 1000. My question is, since I have never owned a Cannondale bike before, how long do you guys think Cannondale will still support the Jekyllís as far as parts replacement or frame replacement goes? I really like the Jekyll but Iím thinking about telling them I want to go ahead and put the down payment towards a Prophet 1000 instead since Cannondale is killing the Jekyll. What do you guys think? Peace.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coalriver-rider
    I laid away a 2004 Jekyll at my LBS, they offered it to me for $2000 which (I think) is a pretty good deal for a new Jekyll 1000. My question is, since I have never owned a Cannondale bike before, how long do you guys think Cannondale will still support the Jekyllís as far as parts replacement or frame replacement goes? I really like the Jekyll but Iím thinking about telling them I want to go ahead and put the down payment towards a Prophet 1000 instead since Cannondale is killing the Jekyll. What do you guys think? Peace.
    You are in a tuff spot. $2K for an 04 Jekyll 1000 is a really good deal. You are paying $600 less than me and I bought mine about 4 months ago.

I really love this bike and it is the best ride I have ever owned. The 04 Jekyll 1000 is speced better than the Prophet 1000- essentially the Jekyll 1000 is speced closer to the Prophet 2000. I think if you buy a Jekyll you can thrash the HELL out of it for the next five years and Cannondale will definetly stand behind it- there are quite a few riders on Super V's who didn't want to switch to the Jekyll and are still enjoying them.

At the same time, getting a Prophet will get you into a new line of Cannondales that will be around for the next four - five years. Thus, you will have greater trail prestige. My friends who have had a chance to demo the Prophet think it is a smooth ride and that is a very very stable desender. However, they also think that going from the 04 Jekyll 1000 to a Prophet 1000 is not an upgrade and more of a latteral move.

The Jekyll 1000 has received excellent reviews in various publications and I think that it is a solid ride.

If you are going to spend $2k, compare the Prohpet 800 and the 04 Jekyll 1000 that you have been offered at that price.

Out riding my Scalpel
    Quote Originally Posted by coalriver-rider
    I own a 2003 Jekyll 1000. It's a really good bike and your getting a great deal on it at $2000. I paid like $2500 for mine. I thought that was a killer deal. If I were in your shoes I'd wait for the Prophet to hit the bike showrooms. Putting your down payment towards a the Prophet 1000 would be great idea either way. The Prophet will be around for about 4 to 5 years down the road til Cannondale changes. What's the difference in price between the Jekyll 1000 and Prophet 1000? I still like both bikes. Cannondale makes a good bike.

Are you talking to me?

Go for it.

Your warranty is good, regardless as to the model being continued. (original owner) If you have an issue with the Jekyll frame, and the prophet is the replacement, that is what you will get as a warranty replacement. (rear shock included.) Keep in mind that the Jekyll frame will be in stock for a couple of years.
    gfy

mtbr member
    After reading your responses and advice I think I’ll stick with the Jekyll. One thing I didn’t mention in the first post was that this bike is a floor model (not a demo) although the bike shop owner did say it was ridden around the block a few times. I guess that’s why it’s going for 2K. I went over it with a fine tooth comb and it’s perfect. I know the Jekyll has a proven track record and I’m definitely not worried about trail prestige! Guess I’ll be pedaling a Jekyll soon. Thanks.