Clydesdale Warrior

New question here. 2004 Gemini 900?

I have been looking at 5" travel trail bikes for my next bike, but then I happened upon a Gemini 900 at a shop on the weekend (I was there for tires, which I never got), and it sparked my interest.

I was leaning towards the Kona Coiler, as it is beefier than most of the other 5" bikes out there, and I am a BIG guy (6'6" 265+ lbs) that rides hard. Looking for something I can ride all day, up-hill and back down (on trails around Vancouver), and survive the occasional Whistler bike park visit. I never really considered the Gemini before I saw it on the weekend because I always thought it was a hard-core freeride/downhill bike (I'm not saying it isn't), but it weighs about the same as the Coiler (I was suprized how "light" it was), with 140-150-170mm adjustable travel (vs. 130mm), a superior parts all around, a much superior fork (compared to the drop-off), from the sounds of it, climbs just as good, and with the "blow-out" sale price I found on the Gemini they are about the same price...and they have my size (XL) in stock! (a hard thing for me to find) The XL is an impressively large frame (25.5" Horz TT), with good stand over clearance...seems to be the perfect size for me. (6'6" with relatively short legs and a long torso)

What are peoples opinions on a "Super Clyde" using the Gemini 900 as a trail bike/light freeride bike, with the occasional downhill outing?

I have a few questions about the fork (OEM Breakout TPC). I'm not sure about the travel on the fork, the Cannonade Web Site does not have travel specs for the 2004, but for the 2005 model they say it is 130-170 adjustable travel. Is the fork on the 2004 model the same? (the stations look the same length comparing the online pics) Also, I'm not quite sure how the "Rapid Travel II" works. Does it change the axel to crown height when adjusting to lower travel (like Rock Shox), or it is it just locking out the top 40mm of travel with the fork remaining the same height? Is the Rapid Travel an on-off thing (ie. you are either at 130mm or 170mm) or is it variable, allowing you to set it at any travel setting between the two? Is it true that the spring is stiffer in the lower travel setting (making it more pedal friendly)?

Any suggestions or info that can help me to be a more informed consumer would be greatly appreciated.

sh0rty :P

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    This bike would be terrific for you!

The only thing i would take off is the FOX Vanilla R and replace it with a shock with platform valving like a Manitou Swinger coil shock 4 way. That way, you'll be able to get a good solid trail bike and have fun when going to Whistler.

As for the fork, it's the exact same thing as the 05 Sherman Breakout PLUS except you don't get the SPV, you get the TPC which doesn't change much. SPV is not as effective on the fork as it is on the rear shock. You'll be able to ajust either to 130mm OR 170mm depending on which side you flip the Rapid Travel ajuster. Putting the travel to 130mm lowers the fork crown and gives you a steeper head angle for better all-around performance.

If they have the bike in your size, go for it! The specs on it are amazing for 2700$... And like i said, i would juste trade the rear shock for a Manitou Swinger coil 4 way... It will make a killer ride just for you!

mtbr member

try to find somewhere with a blowout on the 2000. I rode both, and was unimpressed with the 900. There is a ton of pedal bob, and didn't feel that great. Found a killer deal where my 2000 was less than most shops were offering the 900! The 2000 is much better. You won't be forced to upgrade to spv or have it pushed. It simply is an amazing bike. Really got into a flow with it this weekend and fell in love with it all over again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Super Clyde

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue
    try to find somewhere with a blowout on the 2000. I rode both, and was unimpressed with the 900. There is a ton of pedal bob, and didn't feel that great. Found a killer deal where my 2000 was less than most shops were offering the 900! The 2000 is much better. You won't be forced to upgrade to spv or have it pushed. It simply is an amazing bike. Really got into a flow with it this weekend and fell in love with it all over again.
    You are one big dude. For your size the Gemini would be a great trail bike for you. The Gemini is a great compromise between trail riding and freeriding. It isnt the best at both but somewhere inbetween. A great climbing bike considering it is a 7" & 7" bike and is a better bargain IMO than the Coiler. I would consider the 2000 also if you want a upgrade over the 900. The Manitou 4-way is a much nicer shock than the Fox and you can set it up according to the way you ride, weight, etc. The Hayes mag brakes are better than the Hayes HFX 9 on the 900 as well.

Good Luck.

Are you talking to me?

I love my Gemini.

Occasionally I wish for a longer travel fork, but the frame is great for those of us that will NEVER see 200lb again. Go for the 900 if the 2000 is out of the question, and upgrade the shock later on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gfy

Clydesdale Warrior

Smile Suspension Settings?

The Gemini 2000 sounds like a great deal, quite a bit better spec (especially the SPV on shock and fork, and MAG brakes) for not too much more (a lot less than doing the upgrades to a 900!)...but it does not look like any of the Cannondale dealers around Vancouver have any 2004 2000's in X-Large (if you know of one, let me know!). I checked and the place with the 900 XL still has it, so I am heading over for a test ride tomorrow morning. I'll look into the "Swinger 4-Way" option when I go to look...if it is not too expensive I might do it, otherwise I'll wait and make it (or a 5th?) a future upgrade.

The 900 still sounds pretty good to me. Good bang for the buck! Has the QR dropout rather than the 12mm thru...but it still seems plenty strong, and it gives a lot more options if (when?) I upgrade the wheel-set (and no looking for proprietary thru-axels years down the road!). The option of three travel settings (140-150-170) on the 900 is nice, the Thru12 frame has only 2 settings (150-170)...the 140 setting would probably be more balanced if doing some XC'ish riding with the fork in it's low setting. If I decide SPV is the way to go in the future, I can always upgrade the rear shock, and apparently the fork can be upgraded to SPV with a simple (but expensive) cartridge swap.

Some more suspension questions: for my weight, 265+ lbs, what spring weight would you recommend on the Pro-Pedal Vanilla R for the 170mm setting? Would it be a different spring weight for the 4-Way? I assume I'll need the heaviest spring kit for the Breakout. Any other suggestions for tuning the fork to work better for my weight? (I run 10wt golden spectro in my ol' Z3-QR20, and it made the compression and rebound 100 times better on that fork, would that work with the TPC?)

Thanks again,

Last edited by sh0rty; 09-17-2004 at 02:20 PM. Reason: consistancy and formatting

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sh0rty
    The 900 still sounds pretty good to me. Good bang for the buck! Has the QR dropout rather than the 12mm thru...but it still seems plenty strong, and it gives a lot more options if (when?) I upgrade the wheel-set (and no looking for proprietary thru-axels years down the road!). The option of three travel settings (140-150-170) on the 900 is nice, the Thru12 frame has only 2 settings (150-170)...the 140 setting would probably be more balanced if doing some XC'ish riding with the fork in it's low setting. If I decide SPV is the way to go in the future, I can always upgrade the rear shock, and apparently the fork can be upgraded to SPV with a simple (but expensive) cartridge swap.

B]

Thanks again,

Ask the shop if they will upgrade the shock from the Vanilla R to Swinger and pay the difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stiffer spring.

Quote Originally Posted by sh0rty
    The Gemini 2000 sounds like a great deal, quite a bit better spec (especially the SPV on shock and fork, and MAG brakes) for not too much more (a lot less than doing the upgrades to a 900!)...but it does not look like any of the Cannondale dealers around Vancouver have any 2004 2000's in X-Large (if you know of one, let me know!). I checked and the place with the 900 XL still has it, so I am heading over for a test ride tomorrow morning. I'll look into the "Swinger 4-Way" option when I go to look...if it is not too expensive I might do it, otherwise I'll wait and make it (or a 5th?) a future upgrade.

Some more suspension questions: for my weight, 265+ lbs, what spring weight would you recommend on the Pro-Pedal Vanilla R for the 170mm setting? Would it be a different spring weight for the 4-Way? I assume I'll need the heaviest spring kit for the Breakout. Any other suggestions for tuning the fork to work better for my weight? (I run 10wt golden spectro in my ol' Z3-QR20, and it made the compression and rebound 100 times better on that fork, would that work with the TPC?)

Thanks again,

The spring weight will be a little different for the Swinger because it is a different company. If you get either the 900 or 200 I would suggest mentioning the firm spring kit that is an option for the breakout front fork. I ran a breakout on my last bike and the stock spring is too soft for most people regardless of how much they weigh. The staff at any reputable bike shop should automatically up the spring weights considering your size. The stock springs on most suspension systems usually are the lowest weight because the average sized rider is under 200lbs.

I am contemplating a 900 also because they are so damn cheap right now. I phoned my LBS and was told I could upgrade to the swinger at a $300.00 charge. The swinger 4-way is worth around $700.00 Cdn. I would not worry about SPV in the front fork if you get the stiff spring setup. I dont like the HFX-9 brakes on the 900 because I have heard many bad things about performance and durability. After two upgrades the price of the 900 almost equals the 2000.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    shorty, Did you finally get the 900? From BSP? I am a few days away from deciding wether or not to get one. How do you like it? Did you swap anything at the time of purchase?

Clydesdale Warrior

... and if we just ... Yup.

Got it back in September (shortly after I created this thread)

Check out my reply to your other thread for details:
    2004 gemini 900. any input?

The only thing I changed on delivery were the springs. X-Firm spring on the fork and 700lb spring on the back. (I'm 270+ lbs) The right springs for your weight is key to getting a good ride.