mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2003 Scalpel 3000 owners

I've been considering ditching my beloved Fuel for a 2003 Scapel 3000. My hesitations are frame size (the Scalpel is a M and I'm 6.0 with 32" inseam, but I've been told it should be OK as I do like a smaller bike) and the Lefty. To me, looking at the Lefty makes me think the handle bar will turn easier to the left than it will to the right, based on the fact that all the weight is on the left. Is this correct ?

I'd really appreciate any comments (pos or neg) in regards to this bike.

Thanks in advance,

R
    "Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed."

Huge Tracts of Land
    re the lefty, you don't even know it is there one fork or two, the system is just effortless and soaks up everything I have thrown at it.

I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in steering or handling with old one leg.

The only downside I have been told is that you can't ride you bike without hands --> so if you like posing down the street doing the tour finish it may backfire --> :O)

Not sure about the rear sus though, but I am sure it is good

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbrat
    The only downside I have been told is that you can't ride you bike without hands --> so if you like posing down the street doing the tour finish it may backfire --> :O)
    Well I don't think it's a problem, never heard a Lefty user complain about the fork going somewhere else than where they want it to go. And by looking at Christoph Sauser when he wins, you can ride without hands no problems...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Huge Tracts of Land
    yeah?

cool I will have to practice at home -- so there you go no downers then!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I stick my right leg out all the time to make up for the lefty. Only put things on the right side of my camelbak too.

LA CHÈVRE
    For years, no one seemed to care much about the added weight on the right of the chainrings, chain, derailleurs, cassette... Why worry so much about the lefty? I don't ride often without hands but everytime I tried a Lefty-equipped bike, it never felt unbalanced.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    hey I just bought an 04 scalpel 2000 in med. and my demensions are the same as you posted 6' tall and 32 inch inseem and it fits perfectly.

seredyns
    I have been riding a Scalpel 2000 with a lefty for a little over a year. I have never noticed the fork and the bike feels balanced. I am 5'11'' and have the large. My inseam is 34".

Factory Pilot
    I had my first ride on a 2004 Scalpel earlier in the week and I did actually notice a slight pulling to the left when cornering. It wasn't a big deal but I had to adjust my cornering angle for a given speed for some corners cause I found the bike turned in easier, faster and earlier than I expected. Which is not a bad thing!

I like riding no hands every now and again and I've also found that the Lefty takes some compensating to ensure you don't vere across the road. Given the amount of podium time Christopher Sauser has had, he's probably had lots of practce getting used to it..

The bike is fantastic though - I'm really happy with it.