mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2003 F600 to 69er

Hi All - Anyone here convert an F600 to a 69er? My predicament; I'm really looking to step up into a Flash Carbon 2 29er or Flash 1 29er, but as I'm sure most of you know, they're very hard to find new. I'm now thinking of waiting to see what Cannondale does for 2011. This means I'll be stuck with my F600 for another 2000 or so miles of riding, ugh! My biggest pain point is the darn headshock. It doesn't lock out anymore, and the rebound is hellacious when I put enough air into it so it's not mushy (I guess i choose nasty rebound over mush).

So what I'd like to do for these next 2000 miles is to replace my shock. I've test rode the 29er and love 'em, so I'm thinking to make it a 69er. I'm just not sure where to start with this. Any suggestions for shocks/rims to make this happen? I'm lookin' for a nice balance of value/quality considering I'll be buying a completely new bike in a few months, but will still use this bike for friends/backup.

Please note, I don't really keep up with the latest mountain biking stuff when I'm not in the market to buy stuff... and the last time I bought stuff was 2003. So forgive me for all the obvious answers I'm sure I've overlooked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the exact same question but on a 2005 F600. Look forward to seeing some input!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've got one of those too and the rebound tends to, uh, suck. I don't think it's a great idea to put a 29'er in front because the seat tube angle is already so slack on that bike. I would just get an adapter and save some money until the new bikes come out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I snagged a Silk Path 700cm Headshok, clearanced the arch a little, installed it on my old F700 and slapped a 29er wheel & tire on it. 1" of travel is a little short, but ok for Central Ohio.