Mr. Knowitall

New question here. 2000 Lefty DLR questions go/no go

I bought a second hand Lefty DLR '00 last summer, and it has been harsh since the first service at the LBS. They had used 7.5W oil, and the rebound was swoosh swoosh and extremely slow, while compression was just bad and not supple at all.I did not feel any difference between fully open and fully closed on the rebound dial.

I came back this spring to have it re-serviced and specifically asked them to reduce the oil weight and told them that the first service was not done with the proper oil weight and they said "no, we used the oil Cannondale advised". They reduced the oil weight to 5W and that made things a bit better. The rebound adjuster actually felt different, but I still think the return is terrible and the compression is still harsh and does not feel right on small bumps. I have used this bike less and less, and that is due to the feeling of my fork. I am actually considering sending my fork to eighty-aid, as my LBS is the only certified Headshok service workshop in Norway, and they cost a lot for bad workmanship.

Should I go back and instruct them to even lower the oil weight?
    Should I nag them to buy my own set of tools and do the bloody work myself?
    Should I throw in the cash and send the fork to eighty-aid? Is it worth it on this old fork?

Help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by hssp; 11-08-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: More describing title

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Invest in the proper tools and you can change and tune the fork oil weight to whatever your liking is. My bet is you had 2.5 wt oil in there from the start. The cost of just one service would have paid for the tools to do the job. It's not difficult to do and you will be better off in the long run for it.

Mr. Knowitall
    Thanks. I just wonder if it is worth it with this fork. On my other bike I am spoiled with an 09 Talas, and I do not think I will be satisfied if the Lefty is not close to the sensitivity of this one. I will be using the Lefty on a XC racing hardtail.

One question if I get hold of the castle tool (do I need any more special tools). Where do I find the info needed when it comes to oil volumes and such?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp
    Thanks. I just wonder if it is worth it with this fork. On my other bike I am spoiled with an 09 Talas, and I do not think I will be satisfied if the Lefty is not close to the sensitivity of this one. I will be using the Lefty on a XC racing hardtail.

One question if I get hold of the castle tool (do I need any more special tools). Where do I find the info needed when it comes to oil volumes and such?
    You will need something called the castle tool. I dont have a link to one, but I'm sure someone can post it. There are different looking tools for the different designs of the Lefty's so finding the right one online is more difficult w/o a link by someone.

I have always used 5WT and like the way that my Lefty feels.

Mr. Knowitall
    I will be using this:
    http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epage...oducts/HDTL200
    based on the information found here:
    http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...uctions_en.pdf

I think the internals on this Lefty is different from most others, and I am not sure whether this requires different oil weight than other models. What I do know is that the fork's rebound is sluggish and when I compress it fully and release pressure, the front wheel does not stay near the ground. Difficult to describe, but slow is the key. I also wonder if the lack of sensitivity on small bumps may relate to a too soft negative spring, as I bought the fork from a guy a lot smaller than me, and it came with a size small bike (I think).

To be honest, I think the fork handled better when I got it - and the oil was drained as it appeared after a while. Then I had a good sensitivity and a "better" rebound - but yet again too fast.