mtbr member
    May 2005

2.25" vs 2.0" shock stroke on Prophet

Standard stroke is 2.0" but apparantly a 2.25" stroke shock will also work as long as you don't put it into FR setting (which I never use anyway). Standard length 7.875" shock BTW.

Who has done this and how do you like it. How much additional travel did you get with the added 1/4" stroke and any issues or weirdness?

I have the chance to pick up a good condition used 2.25" stroke RP23 shock and was curious if I should grab it.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    try searching the forum for info - there's quite a bit on the subject.

as long as the internal tune is the proper one for a prophet (rebound and compression valving) and the price is ebay-comparable - meaning you can sell it afterwards if it doesn't work as you like without a loss - then just try it if you can spare the extra cash.

altazo
    The 2.25" stroke brings rear wheel travel from 140mm to about 158mm, so just over 6".

I ran the longer stroke for a full season, and to be honest the increase in travel was not night and day. As mentioned above, a properly tuned shock with a 2" stroke will work much better than some o.e.m. shock pulled off a different bike with a 2.25" stroke.