mtbr member
    Sep 2005

2.25 Stroke Shock on Prophet?

I'm looking for a used shock for my Prophet and found one that is a really good price but it has a 2.25 stroke length rather than a 2.0 stroke length, how much would that effect, would I bottom on my seattube or would the bike ride really different?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by galbraithrider
    I'm looking for a used shock for my Prophet and found one that is a really good price but it has a 2.25 stroke length rather than a 2.0 stroke length, how much would that effect, would I bottom on my seattube or would the bike ride really different?
    More importantly, you will have some serious clearance issues between your swing-arm and seat tube. I considered this myself, as I wanted a bit more suspension travel out of the rear, which was unnecessary anywhere. There is only one size shock to work on the Prophet...7.875x2". It's only good deal if it works!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes the 2.25 stroke will fit. That's what I have on my Prophet. You can only use the XC setting to prevent tire to seattube contact. Using the FR will cause contact of the seattube. Yes you can feel travel especially on drops. Travel goes from 145 to 159.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Racerzero, What size fork do you run or your prophet with the 2.25 stroke shock in the rear. I'm kind of interested in the head angle and bottom bracket height? How hard are you pushing your prophet, I ride all mountain freeride lite (no more than 6 foot drops to tranny) and I don't want to break my prophet, just picked it up a month ago...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Are you getting an air shock or coil?

If you're getting a coil shock, you still have that bottom out bumper which no matter how hard you compress it, you're not going to get the full 2.25" stroke. So you might be safe.

Worse case scenario, add a little spacer under the bumper to reduce the stroke of the shock.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sadly the shock sold so back to searching. I am looking to replace my swinger air with a coil of some sort. I'm thinking either dhx 5.0 or roco. If I can't find a used one that will fit and have to buy new then I'm getting a dhx air. Just looking for a little more plush in the rough stuff to hold me over until I can get my perp...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Racerzero, What size fork do you run or your prophet with the 2.25 stroke shock in the rear. I'm kind of interested in the head angle and bottom bracket height? How hard are you pushing your prophet, I ride all mountain freeride lite (no more than 6 foot drops to tranny) and I don't want to break my prophet, just picked it up a month ago...

I run a Fox 32 so the headangle and BB height is basically stock. I own a Gemini and a Judge so there no reason to do crazy stuff on the my Prophet. The extra .25 just makes the bike plusher than normal.

I have bottomed out the air shock with no contact issues.

Remember the shock length is the same so there are no geometry issues. The extra stroke of .25 adds another 20mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a 2.25 stroke 5th Element on the way. I'll post pics of it in the FR position with spring off and compressed all the way. I'll take pics of the swingarm clearance. I'll put as much weight as possible to compress the bumper as much as possible too.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sweet, I was thinking of getting one of those but they are all gone now. Please post pics when you get it all set up. Thanks!

mtbr member
    you'd invalidate your frame warranty for sure!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Its a used frame so I don't have any warranty anyway. I think I'm just going to get a perp and leave the prophet for all mountain/cross country use...

THELAND photographer

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by beavola
    you'd invalidate your frame warranty for sure!
    agreed....stupid choice...ive seen it alot and although cool its not the greatest idea....

want more travel

sell the prophet and get a longer travel bike dont try to make it into something its not its like when your a kid trying to put a square block into a circle hole on that thing where you match shapes.