Thread: 2*10 options

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

2*10 options

Just got a scalpel 2 with a BB30 FSA Afterburner crankset. Love the bike, hate the 2*10. Last 2 years I have run 1*9 with a 36 tooth ring. The problem with the 2*10 is that the 27 is too low, I spin out the cassette, and the 42 is just a touch high to cruise in. I want to go back to 1*10. Is it possible to use a Cannondale SI and run a single 36 tooth ring? I am open to other suggestions, have even considered bushing down the BB to go with an external BB and XT cranks just to get back to what I am used to. Any ideas?

Matt

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just converted my Jekyll's triple to a 2x10. I used rings from Blackspire and found them very high quality. I chose their 40 tooth middle ring, 24 tooth little ring (and no big ring). To do this I simple got some BMX chaining bolts from my LBS (aluminum, very light) for the middle ring so it goes on without any big ring.

They make rings in just about any size and number of teeth you want. The quality seems very high, and their shipping from Canada was great.

LA CHÈVRE
    Why couldn't you? I have used my Scalpel with a 1x10 setup for a while last year. Worked well except I found to be out of gears in certain race situations, I went back to a dual ring. I used a modified front derailleur as a chainguide (but now there are better options) and I was able to use a shorter spindle to reduce the q-factor and have a perfect chainline using the right spider. The Hollowgram crankset is modular so you can customize all these things so it's the best crankset for that (well, it's the best for single, double or triple setup).

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I rode my 2x10 Blackspire rings last weekend and LOVE them! My 40/24 combo was perfect. And yes, it shifts just fine even with the 16 tooth gap. I am not going back to a triple and not craving the XX crank I had on my Genius and was pining for on my Jekyll.