mtbr member
    Jul 2011

1x9 for my scalpel question...

can i use this crank for my 2009 scalpel??
    Current Zoom Image

if not someone recommend me a crankset similiar to this, thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    bump

LA CHÈVRE
    Is your frame BB30? (I'm guessing it is)
    What crank do you have now?

I wouldn't downgrade from BB30 to an adaptor and that BB and to a heavier/crappier crankset just so it's single ring specific. You can just buy the unramped/unpinned ring in the size you want and BCD you need and shorter chainring bolts and save (money? weight?)...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-31-2011 at 04:48 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yes bb30, and it has the stock truvativ 3 ring...what do u recommend? budget wise something under 200, not really worried bout weight, not racing

LA CHÈVRE
    If on a budget and don't mind the weight, I'd stick with your current crankset but just change the chainrings for a single ring a bashguard or chainguide...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wouldn't he need a medium cage derailleur to do that, I'm thinking of doing the same but I have a long cage on my flash 29er.

Wonder how much weight would be saved by doing this by eliminating the front derailleur, front shifter and one chain ring + bashguard.

LA CHÈVRE
    A shorter cage would be marginally better but a long cage works just fine, if building a bike from nothing, get a medium or short cage but if you already have a long cage, I say use it..

Weight saved depends of the parts but one shifter, one cable and it's housing, a front derailleur and a few chain links (unless you keep a single big ring, you'll probably need to shorten the chain) does add up. But the reason to go 1x9 or 1x10 is not only weight savings, I see it mostly as simplifying the transmission, eliminating a lot of useless gears, eliminating chainsucks and eliminating the much slower and more problematic front shifts (a shift on the cassette is almost instantaneous compared to shifts on the cassette and dont require you to ease up your pedaling as much)... The only drawback is a narrower gear range but depending where you ride and the legs you have, it might not be an issue.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What advantage is there in removing the front deraileur and small ring if I can just ride 39 all the time? Seems like leaving the small one one just in case I go somewhere where I need it would be a good idea.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

LA CHÈVRE
    See my post above, less weight, less trouble... But you could argue that a singlespeed would be even lighter and trouble-free. The gear range needed is very personnal and region-specific, some don't need a small ring. Depends on where you ride, how long you ride, pedaling style and how fit you are. Julien Absalon raced with a single 39T ring a few times, Wolfram Kurschat raced with a single 42T but we're not all former National, World and Olympic Champions. I live where there are lots of climbs that are often short but very steep but I'm a bit of a diesel, I push big gears at slower cadences than most, I have tried a single 32T and that was fine for just fun rides with friends but for racing, it was too small, I had low enough gears to climb pretty much everywhere but I spinned out too soon for XC racing (too small even in a hill climb TT I did). I'd try a 36T but I just put the derailleur and two rings I had back on.