Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

1994 F700 Killer V rebuild

I'm currently in the process of building out my old 1994 F700 after years of storing it in my garage. I basically have not ridden in 10 years (since I got married). I got the bug back and want to get back on the trail. For our 10th Anniversary my wife had a brilliant idea and decided we should buy new bikes and start riding together.

Thing is ... I just love the frame on my old bike and decided just to build this one back up. In the long run I would have spent less money just buying a new bike but I just could not do it. In my eyes it would be like buying a new 2007 Dodge Charger instead of restoring the 1969 Dodge Charger dying in my garage. I do have to admit that I am amazed with all the new technology that has come out since I left the sport 10 years ago. I'm also a tad jealous of all the new components on my wife's bike (disk brakes, full suspension, tubeless tires, etc.)

So .. hopefully within a month or so I can get this project complete. I managed to strip most of the old components off my frame. The only thing that I will be keeping will be my old Chris King headset and my headshok adapters. Everything else will be new. Thank goodness for this site...being out of the sport for awhile it's nice to read all the reviews.

Here's a pic of the current status of my F700 (you gotta love the old green anodized parts).

mtbr member
    i've always liked those killer v frames.

Retro Cannondale Addict

Welcome Back!

I just recently built up this Killer V 500 from scratch and it was a blast. The only thing I have left is to chop the steerer. I think building a bike vs buying a bike is more rewarding so you're on the right track.

Just be warned, building bikes are addictive, and I just bought a Super V that I'm going to build up next. You should check out the "Any Super V's out there?" thread and the "Uber V" thread. Sounds to me that the Mrs shouldn't be the only one with dual suspension in the house. And disc brakes are a possible upgrade on them as well. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I'd love to find one of those frames to build up. I'll have a lot of spare parts in the near future. After switching my uber v to 2x9, and most of the parts are here, i'll have a spare bb, crankset, cassette, rear derailleur, rear shifter. I've also got my old v-brakes and a front wheel lying around. Just gotta find a frame to start and go from there.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    I'd love to find one of those frames to build up. I'll have a lot of spare parts in the near future. After switching my uber v to 2x9, and most of the parts are here, i'll have a spare bb, crankset, cassette, rear derailleur, rear shifter. I've also got my old v-brakes and a front wheel lying around. Just gotta find a frame to start and go from there.
    I got a pretty sweet deal on mine. I'll let you know if I come across another one and can ship it to you. They are light as hell! The frame by itself weighs 3.3 pounds!!!

mtbr member
    that would be awesome. i keep checking ebay, but everything i've seen so far has been too big or too small. i'd prefer a medium or large and all i ever see are small and XL. I don't care if its 1.25" or 1.5" headtube. I'll run whatever forks will fit.

Retro Cannondale Addict

Good job!

that would be awesome. i keep checking ebay, but everything i've seen so far has been too big or too small. i'd prefer a medium or large and all i ever see are small and XL. I don't care if its 1.25" or 1.5" headtube. I'll run whatever forks will fit.
    Maybe you can talk the OP into selling you his so he can buy a Super V.
    Mine's a small, as you can tell. I'm 5'6" and it's even kinda small for me, but the price was too hard to turn down(free). The guy I got it from couldn't fit on it and he just decided to give it away on CL first come first serve. My Audi TT got a workout that night racing to his house to pick it up. I'll keep my eyes out for a deal like that, but I don't know if lightning strikes twice in one place.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" so I'm pretty sure a small would be way small for me. My large super v feels just right. I like feel of a little longer top tube.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    I'm 5'9" so I'm pretty sure a small would be way small for me. My large super v feels just right. I like feel of a little longer top tube.
    What does a large translate to inchwise as far as Super V's goes anyway?

mtbr member
    honestly, i have no clue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks everyone! Your right I think this could get addicting. I'm already searching Craig’s List looking for older Cannondales.

There are some nice looking Killer V's and Super V's posted on these boards.

mtbr member
    Damn I wish I had a little extra money right now. My new job doesn't start until October.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well I finally finished. One last thing to do...move the computer sensor on my fork up then hit the trail. Here are some pics of my completed project.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Looks real nice RockaXC! Congrats on completing it. While your were building yours up I ended up parting mine out. I'm all Super V now. Hey what type of tires are those and do they come in yellow? Would look wicked on my Uber project.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks! Your in luck I just found them on sale at pricepoint (picked up some for my wife this weekend). They are the Panaracer XC Fire Pro and they come in yellow as well. Not only do they look good..they handle well.

Tire Link

Oh...that Uber V is looking good!

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RockaXC
    Thanks! Your in luck I just found them on sale at pricepoint (picked up some for my wife this weekend). They are the Panaracer XC Fire Pro and they come in yellow as well. Not only do they look good..they handle well.

Tire Link

Thank you for the link and the compliment! I gotta get me a set of those! I was thinking of getting Panaracer Fires anyway, now I have one more reason. I've been a fan of theirs since the Smoke/Dart days.

mtbr member
    I had panaracer fire xc 2.1 on my uber v front and rear, but now i've got a kenda nevegal 2.3 up front and i like the handling better for what i ride.

nice killer v btw.

mtbr member
    Nice build!!!- Glad to see I'm not the only one in love with the KV. This is my 93 built up 1x8 . Very light . I recently switched to a med cage ultegra with the road cassette and mimo 1.8 tires. The ride isn't very forgiving with the pepperoni but it is fast.
    My wife has a 98 F500 XS with the headshok that looks like a twin to your KV.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Nice Buick!!! Nice KV too!! Did you strip and polish the finish?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul218
    Nice Buick!!! Nice KV too!! Did you strip and polish the finish?
    She came polished and she gets a rub down every month or so. The Buicks a 67 340 all original and gets better gas mileage than most new cars. Thanks!
    Often imitated but never duplicated, the killer v frame!!

Retro Cannondale Addict

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by RockaXC

Tire Link

RockaXC, this guy has Fire XC Pros brand new at 17 bucks a tire + shipping!!! I'm about to buy a set from him right now! I bought my Candy C pedals and some titanium skewers a few months back and the stuff was brand new. He emailed me back about the tires and said he stocks them all the time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great looking bike, congrats.

mtbidwell, what saddle is that? It looks painful lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    Great looking bike, congrats.

mtbidwell, what saddle is that? It looks painful lol
    Tioga Spider - not that bad really. I wouldn't take it on 150 mile gravel grinder but for a couple hours its good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Mogul - Too bad I already ordered a set for my wife. I would have picked those up from the auction. Oh well I will add him to my favorite sellers list for the future. I'm starting to raise funds for a UberV project.

Mtbidwell - Wow sweet Buick and Killer V. You got the best of both worlds there!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The fire xc's are great, I had them on my old M700, I have the red ones on my Epic and just ordered a set of the USTs for my new Prophet, too bad those only come in black

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast