Rider
    Aug 2010

1993 Super V 3000- Any Pictures, or Tip with Restoration?

Hi,

Just got a Cannondale 1993 Super V 3000, and see not a lot about it online, some, but not a lot.

It is like looking at a piece of the history of mountain biking.

Any one else out there have this year?

The swing-arm style seems unique to this year?

(Where do I find the serial number?)

Thanks for any help.!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If that's in good condition then it may be a living legend. Only 2 years after they started full suspension bikes.

http://sanaandterry.com/cannondale/year/1993/1993.pdf

Rider
    Aug 2010
    I'll share that "living legend" comment with my wife who was supportive but not entirely thrilled with yet another bike.

It is down to polished aluminum. I'll put up some pictures this weekend.

Thanks for the link. It looks like it was their flagship for that year.

Its in fair condition, but could be in good condition in a couple of hours. It is surprisingly much lighter than my current hardtail, and almost as light as my road bike. State of the art 17 years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Serial number is on the bottom of the BB.

The super V was a game changer in the history of mountain bikes. The V shaped frame offered great standover clearance, competitively light, and was visually stunning compared to traditional double triangle frame designs. Many others copied the design in some form or another. The interrupted seat tube allowed flexibility to locating the swingarm pivot farther forward. In those days high pivots to lockout the rear end during climbing was the goal. The Super V lowered the pivot quite a bit from the previous Delta V design. Super V active that followed lowered it even more.

I have a newer version of this model. The one with the carbon swingarm. The aluminum swingarms as you can see were quite a piece of sculpture. Many stampings hand welded together. I was told that the ones with the best looking welds were chosen to be used on the model in which the final finish was polished aluminum. The Carbon swingarms saved a bit of weight, increased the lateral stiffness, and added some coolness factor.

I rode my Super V for tens of thousands of miles over ten years on several different continents. The rear shock upper attachment to the frame is unique and nobody currently makes this design. I wore out several sets of tires, rims, and went through several shock rebuilds. After the rear shock needed it's third rebuild and Fox said we don't do that any more, I decided to upgrade the bike. The frame itself is bulletproof. Not the best climber but man, did that bike like to go downhill. The faster I went the more stable that bike became.

mtbr member

I have one of these!

Thanks for the brochure
    Was hanging up in the shed for a while, but now with my brother who wan't to start riding.
    Mine has the raw Aluminium rear arm.
    Will never get rid of it! Was my first real MTB and have had so much fun on it.
    Also got me into Cannondales and have since had a Rush and now a Rize
    South West Mountain Bike Club
    www.swmtbc.asn.au