mtbr member
    Apr 2006

142x12 compability

Hi,
    I have just bought a 2013 Trigger 1 29, which is on its way by mail. I already have a 2012 Flash 3 29.

My question is, will the wheelset from the Trigger (Crest lazed to XT rear and Cannondale Lefty front) fit on my Flash 29?

I suspect the Flash rear end is 135mm? If so, is there a conversion-kit/similar thing that makes it possible to use the 142 Trigger wheel on the Flash?

And, will the front wheel from the Lefty Supermax fit on the "normal" 90mm Lefty on the Flash?

The reason for asking is that Im 235 lbs and Im afraid the Crests are not a good option at all for my type of riding on the Trigger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Neither wheel will fit on the Flash.
    The Super Max hub has different rotor positioning ( You can use standard Lefty hubs on the SuperMax with a brake mount adapter)
    The XT rear hub is not convertable.

Before you panic...try riding the bike. I although much lighter than you, found the Crests more than strong enough. I bought the bike slightly used from a guy your size (bought too small of a frame) and he had no troubles either...Although the XT rear hubs can be a problem

mtbr member
    Before changing the wheels, try it.
    I just got mine and while I haven't ridden it seriously yet, wheels might be strong enough.
    Note that there's a lot of travel and fat tyres to cushion the ride and 32 steel spokes hold each wheel and distribute the load better than rims with less spokes.

IMO, well built wheel is very important as bad builds can break no matter how rugged the components.

It also helps to be gentle with gear, as even mid-lightweight riders will break everything if they lack finesse and grace.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I went with the Trigger 2 because of the rims....and cause lefty's freak me out.

Ride it and see. I'm a super clyde pushing 300lbs so it was HUGE concern of mine. I can say that my i23's haven't even needed trued in three months of riding 2-3 days/week on the rockiest, rootiest stuff we have here. All I had to do was tension the spokes(1/4 turn each) after they were broken in. I'm not a very smooth rider either.

Not much help I know, but I thought it might help someone at some point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for tips folks!
    I think I will try the Crests and see how they work. I agree that if one rides with finesse, grace and good technique, the rims will probably hold up better. I also think its probably a good idea to let a good wheel-builder check/tighten the wheels before I start to use them.

I might get a new set of FLow EX`s built during the winter. Anyone has experience with the Stans 3.30 hubs or Hope Pro 2 hubs for heavy guys? I understand that the XT rear hub is not very good?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    FWIW, I'm running an XT hub on my HT for three years now with no issues so far. I don't ride it as much now, but I rode it 2-3 days a week before the new bike. I just assume it's going to grenade at some point from all the negative stuff I've read....though there's no signs of it at all.

mtbr member
    XT hubs are good as long as you maintain them properly and don't overtighten the cassette and freehub body.