mtbr member

'13 PBR 90 only travels 80

Try as i might, i cannot get the lefty on my F29-3 to compress more than 80mm. i've only ridden it a handful of times but it was already kind of a compromise going with a 90mm fork and now i'm only getting 80mm of travel.

side note, when i add or subtract air form the fork, a LOT of sticky grease comes out of the schrader valve.

as is current i run the fork around 110lb and i'm about 215 lb, but even when i take out some air and intentionally bottom out the fork, then measure with a ruler, the o-ring is only about 79mm down from its original position.

i'm not sure if this has been "asked and answered" because it's tough thinking of search terms. "incomplete travel?" "not full travel" etc. maybe i'm just having temporary lapse in judgment.

anyone have any thoughts?

PS: i'm a long time rider, but this is my first lefty so i'm really not knowledgable on the workings.

mtbr member
    I would suggest removing the air from the Lefty and then doing this:

Lefty Hybrid volume reducer removal from Filipe Cašador on Vimeo.

Remove the air volume spacer and you will get a more linear suspension meaning it would be easier to use it's full travel.

Don't forget to do a manual bearing reset as well.
    Just remove all the air and bottom out the fork several times firmly, that way you'll make sure it's not needle bearings reducing the travel.

Regarding the leaking from the schrader valve, there is some grease inside the air chamber and if it's a new Lefty, factory might've put in more grease, but no oil should leak since it's just the air chamber and not a damper assembly.

mtbr member
    Positive rep for you sir. I'll review this and execute ss soon as I have the opportunity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks
    BTW, don't use a hex wrench like in the video.
    Use a socket wrench to avoid damaging the bottom cap as it's made of aluminium and very soft.
    The threads are also aluminium so you don't need to tighten it too much when screwing it back on.

mtbr member
    Very cool. Any idea what size the socket is? Also, what bolt did he use to pull the volume reducer out? (watched it on my phone). Third, you say to "bottom out" the fork but every video I watch on bearing reset actually kind of "tops out" the fork (for lack of better term).

mtbr member
    I don't see why they would include this piece though if it reduces the travel of the fork. Seems silly to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    Very cool. Any idea what size the socket is? Also, what bolt did he use to pull the volume reducer out? (watched it on my phone). Third, you say to "bottom out" the fork but every video I watch on bearing reset actually kind of "tops out" the fork (for lack of better term).

I believe it's 25mm, at least it is on my Supermax Lefty.
    The hybrid lefty is supposed to reset bearings on it's own when you bottom it out, but yes - you should cycle it couple of times up and down until you achieve the correct max travel.
    You can consult your manual to find out suggested distance from the O-ring to the end of the stanchion (it's usually about 3cm) which means you've used it's full travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    I don't see why they would include this piece though if it reduces the travel of the fork. Seems silly to me.

It's there to make the Lefty more progressive (easier to go through first half of the travel but rapidly harder to use the second half).
    That way it's much harder to bottom it out which makes it "safe" and less prone to damage.

After you've removed the spacer, don't forget to put in more air than before since it will be easier to bottom it out.

Also, check this thread on more info:
    2013 Lefty Hybrid - some more thoughts

Craig from Mendon Cycle Smith is an expert in all things Lefty so you should read on his posts.

mtbr member
    Oh I see now that the removal of the reducer is just for linear travel, and that the reset is to gain the travel back.

So disregarding the above posts, do you think it will benefit me as a 210 lb rider to remove the volume reducer?

mtbr member
    I think it would, but then depends on what you want from the bike/fork.
    If you're hitting big and medium obstacles it's likely better, but for small, fast bumps, you might want to keep it in as you can run lower pressure.

I don't have any experience with the regular Lefty, but reading other people's feedback, seems like a lot of them like it better with reducer removed.

Note that you could always add smaller reducer to fine tune it to your liking. You could also put in plastic wine cork (which you can cut to size) and experiment with that.

mtbr member
    Come to think of it, my trails include plenty of big bumpy stuff and not much "chatter" so, yes, I'm gonna give this a shot. If I don't like it I'll pop it right back in.

mtbr member
    oh wow i fount in the lefty manual that on the prb 90 it's REALLY easy to do the reset. i'm still curious, though, if "bottoming out" means hammering the fork toward the bars or pulling it away...

also, i'm still curious what size screw/bolt used to get that reducer out...

mtbr member
    Bump. Anyone know what size bolt to use?