mtbr member
    Oct 2005

12mm Thru axle- Removal?

Hey all,

I feel like a compete newb for posting this, but oh well, we all could learn something new

Recently get an 07 MX1, w/ the 12mm thru axle in the rear. Never had a thru axle bike (only thru bolt), so I am at a lost how to remove it to get my wheel out.

I got as far as removing the bolt that threads into the right of the axle. After that, I have no idea. Common sense would tell me that it would slide out to the left(?).

Help?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Hey all,
    I got as far as removing the bolt that threads into the right of the axle. After that, I have no idea. Common sense would tell me that it would slide out to the left(?).

Help?
    There are also bolts on frame that need to be loosen. 1 on the non-drive side, 2 on the drive 2 side. If the axle was greased properly the axle should side out. If a little tight you can gently tap with a mallet to loosen. If the axle was not greased when assembled then the axle could be frozen. In that case you need to take it to a bike shop.

Alway regrease the axle because there's a lot of surface area for the axle to oxidize and get frozen to the hub.

The non-drive side of the axle is ovalized so it fits into the ovalized hole in the frame. When assembling you need to make sure the axle is lined up or else it won't go in all the way. The ovalized shape is so subtle that the axle still looks like a perfect circle.

Also look at the instructions manual for the frame at the Cannondale site. There is a recommended order to retighten.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=racerzero]If a little tight you can gently tap with a mallet to loosen. /QUOTE]

Yeah, he bolts are loosen, and I figured if it was tight just tap it out, but just wanted to make sure it does slide out before I take a mallet to it.

Much thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=MattP.]
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    If a little tight you can gently tap with a mallet to loosen. /QUOTE]

Yeah, he bolts are loosen, and I figured if it was tight just tap it out, but just wanted to make sure it does slide out before I take a mallet to it.

Much thanks
    If you axle doesn't budge with the mallet than take it to the shop.