mtbr member
    Feb 2007

122mm spindle with Hollowgram SiSl2 cranks and XX1 chainring on F29

For those that may be interested, I was able to install a 122mm spindle with my Hollowgram SiSl2 cranks and XX1 32 tooth ring on my F29. It took some minors modifications but it all worked out.

In the picture below you can see I used a Leonardi Racing XX1 spider. The Cannondale spider will not work since it is curved bringing the chaining too close to the frame. The Leonardi spider is flat. If interested, the Leo spiders can be found at Dr. Cannondale.
    122mm spindle with Hollowgram SiSl2 cranks and XX1 chainring on F29-img_6152.jpg

Here you can see just how close the chainring is to the chainstay. There is only about 2-3 mm clearance. To get this clearance I needed to have the "lip" machined off the nondrve side of the spindle. This allowed me to move the spindle further out on the drive side since the lip was out of the way. This also allowed me to center the cranks properly. Otherwise, the crank on the drive side was closer to the chainstay than the nondrive side. Anyway, I wasn't comfortable machining the lip myself so I took it to a local machine shop and they did an amazing job for just $17.50
    122mm spindle with Hollowgram SiSl2 cranks and XX1 chainring on F29-img_6153.jpg

In these next two pictures you can see the clearance of the crank arms with the chainstay. There is plenty of clearance (3-4mm) and the arms are centered (same spacing on each side). There is also plently of clearance for my Stages Powermeter. Notice that the arms are tapered for the SiSl2. The other Hollowgrams are not tapered and would probably not clear the chainstay.
    122mm spindle with Hollowgram SiSl2 cranks and XX1 chainring on F29-img_6156.jpg

122mm spindle with Hollowgram SiSl2 cranks and XX1 chainring on F29-img_6155.jpg

In this picture you can see where I added some carbon spacers to the nondrive side. This is needed since the lip was machined off. I couldn't find 30mm Inside Diameter spacers so I got some 1 1/8" and dremeled off some of the interior to widen to 30mm. Altogether I needed 13mm.
    122mm spindle with Hollowgram SiSl2 cranks and XX1 chainring on F29-img_6154.jpg

On the drive side, it is hard to see, but I needed 4mm of spacers plus the wavy washer. I found some Wheels Manufacturing 1mm BB30 spacers and used 4 of them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6153.JPG 
Views:	600 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	834640

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here are some pictures of the 122mm spindle with the lip machined off:

Name:  IMG_6373.JPG
Views: 456
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6374.JPG
Views: 447
Size:  51.3 KB

mtbr member

122mm spindle with Hollowgram SiSl2 cranks and XX1 chainring on F29

How'd you get a sisl2 stages? I thought they only made si's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A few months ago they were selling Si, SiSl, and SiSl2. I noticed that all are still listed on their webpage but only the Si are available through their online store. Maybe they're just out of stock for the SiSl and SiSl2, but I don't know. I do know I love my Stages Power Meter!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've done a similar thing, but ended up going back to a wider axle, as the 32T wasnt quite big enough. As soon as you move to a 34T, it rubs.

mtbr member
    I am on the similar situation but in my case I have the SRM 104bcd spider with wolf tooth 34T .
    I just received the 132mm spindle and Sisl2 crank so just wondering machining off the lips is still necessary of for the longer spindle ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    No, you shouldn't need to machine the lip off the 132mm spindle. I needed to do it with the 122mm since I needed every mm possible for clearance with the chainstays and to center the spindle.

You love the Si Sl2! They are very light and extremely stiff!!!

mtbr member
    This is what i have now . I did the installation an hour ago and fund out that 132mm to be a tad too long for my frame ( Flash Carbon 68mm ) needed extra spacers both side . Because of the lip and SRM position, left and right aren't sitting on same space between chain stay .
    Below are pictures before installation . Will post more .

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oh, I see, so the crank is not centered. Is the side of the spindle with the lip (nondrive side with the 132mm) too close or too far from the chainstay? If it is too far then machining off the lip will allow the spindle to move in further to center between the chainstays. If the nondrive side is too close, then you have options. You could use some spacers between the lip and the bearing shield to center between the chainstays, or you could still machine off the lip and still center. No matter which route you go, you will probably need some custom spacers. I got some 1 1/8" carbon headset spacers and used a Dremel to widen the inside diameter to 30mm. I actually got these:

Omni Racer Worlds Lightest Lite Carbon Headset Spacer Set 1 1 8" 2 3 5 10 15mm | eBay

since the complete interior did not needed milled but just the flanges. To get the correct length I just sanded them down.

Anyway, hope this helps! Let me know how it turns out.