Happy Trails

104/64mm BCD Spider on SISLCrank

I swapped out the 2X10 120mm/80mm bolt center diameter 39-26 tooth (ie Sram XX compatible) spider that shipped OEM on my 2013 Scalpel for the also-supplied 3X9 104mm/64mm BCD spider set up with Truvativ 2X10 38-34 chainrings and a bashguard. I've seen that CannondaleExperts is now selling a 104/64mm 2X10 spider (for $130) but I thought I'd give the 3X9 with 2X10 rings a try first. Before switching, the gearing on 39-26X11-36 wasn't as tall (tough) as I thought it would be, but I like the idea of trading 1 big gear for two extra climbing gears. My regular rides often exceed ~1000 feet of climbing for every 10 miles of trails. Using a 11-36 tooth cassette will take my climbing ratio from 0.72 to 0.67 ... which is a lot closer to the 0.64 ratio I had on my 3X9. The FD set up pretty nice on the new rings, and the bash guard provided a pretty clean look. I'll ride this tomorrow and let everyone know how it works.

104/64mm BCD Spider on SISLCrank-104-64-bcd-crank-2013-04-06-001.jpg
    104/64mm BCD Spider on SISLCrank-104-64-bcd-crank-2013-04-06-002.jpg
    104/64mm BCD Spider on SISLCrank-104-64-bcd-crank-2013-04-06-004.jpg
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 04-06-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Happy Trails

I rode this set-up 27 miles with ~2400 feet of climbing today, mostly rolling desert XC singletrack. I really appreciated the extra torque. Shifts as crisp and quick as before - no detectable difference. There was (?) maybe a little more drivetrain noise ...but there is sure not much noise with Shimano Shadow+ rear derailleur. I'm going to stick with this spider and chain ring set up until I move up from the middle of the Strava pack. Overall, three months into my Scalpel with no problems. It is a fantastic bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I rode this set-up 27 miles with ~2400 feet of climbing today, mostly rolling desert XC singletrack. I really appreciated the extra torque. Shifts as crisp and quick as before - no detectable difference. There was (?) maybe a little more drivetrain noise ...but there is sure not much noise with Shimano Shadow+ rear derailleur. I'm going to stick with this spider and chain ring set up until I move up from the middle of the Strava pack. Overall, three months into my Scalpel with no problems. It is a fantastic bike.
    Nice one! Can I have your XX chainring please? You don't need it? Right....?

Strava pack? Strava proves absolutely nothing. Just gives the choppers something to do. You have arguably one of the best XC race bikes in the world, go and race it my friend

It is a very very sexy bike. I like the subtle changes you've made, the bars really set it off. Didn't it come with Enve bars?
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Happy Trails

Nice one! Can I have your XX chainring please? You don't need it? Right....?
    Already gone. My buddy is building a Niner A9 hard tail with BB30 crank, and he has dibs on the spider and rings if he can find a crank arm set.

Strava pack? Strava proves absolutely nothing. Just gives the choppers something to do. You have arguably one of the best XC race bikes in the world, go and race it my friend
    Hell to the yeah...

It is a very very sexy bike. I like the subtle changes you've made, the bars really set it off. Didn't it come with Enve bars?
    Thanks! Yeah. At 6-1 I was in between a large and extra large and I sized down to the L frame. I'm glad I did, but the long seat post (78cm BB center to saddle top) stretched my reach out a little to far so I have been using 660mm wide Easton bar with 20mm of rise .....which gets the cockpit geometry just about perfect..... But I like the wider Enve bar so will switch back now that I have my hands on a -5 degree stem versus the OEM stock -15 stem.

After three months I'm convinced this bike is as close to perfect as i ever need to be.

Unstable Corruption
    i've also swapped spider on SL cranks.
    they were 120-80 39-26 XX.
    now i use BOR spider and BOR chainrings (36-22)

woks fine)

mtbr member
    I fell in love with the BOR spider, green being the obvious choice being a Cannondale. Thanks for the photo though, nice to see what it's going to look like!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....