Thread: 10 mm thru axle

mtbr member

10 mm thru axle

I want to take my QR off my prophet and use a solid 10 mm axle. I have the cheap OEM fire hub from my 05 prophet. the QR axle that goes thru the hub now has a flange on the drive side where one of the cones sits. a normal threaded 100 thru axle will not work b/c the flange supports one of the washers or cones. is it possible to use my fire hub and get a 10 mm solid axle w/ the appropriate flange or will i need a new hub too? If you know what axle i need throw the specifics on so i can find it or put a link down.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member
    What you do is call a machinist friend and let him design you a custom 10 mm thru axle and give up on the search to buy one.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon4
    What you do is call a machinist friend and let him design you a custom 10 mm thru axle and give up on the search to buy one.
    SO you dont need a thru axle specific swingarm?
    Does it feel stiffer back there?
    And can I have a print of the axle so I can make one
    CDT

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon4
    And while he's at it make sure he'll make two so I can snatch the other one
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member

mtbr member

ha

Yeah there is no way i am using that thing on the back of my bike. I am talking about a solid bolt on axle.

I dont know if the 10mm axle will stiffen up the bike or not. I assume it will but he hasnt built the axle yet. I will post the final dimensions if you want. As for needing a thru hub swingarm, no you dont need one if you can find or make a 10 mm axle and get that washer flange from the fire hub in the right place. Or if you have a normal hub they usually make solid axles.

I imagine the next question will be "why are you doing this?" Long story short i trashed my dropouts and i am not buying a new swingarm. As luck would have it the dropout by the der. hanger is the bad one and i can get the 10mm thru bolt to rest on the der. hanger. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    If the axle that houses the quick release skewer is threaded, then un-thread it out of the hub.
    You can buy all thread in every diameter, standard or metric, and in every tpi count. Then thread in your new "thru axle". Nothing custom. Threaded rod, 2 lock washers, and 2 flat washers < $10.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    If the axle that houses the quick release skewer is threaded, then un-thread it out of the hub.
    You can buy all thread in every diameter, standard or metric, and in every tpi count. Then thread in your new "thru axle". Nothing custom. Threaded rod, 2 lock washers, and 2 flat washers < $10.
    i agree entirely. the problem is that the cannondale fire hub (i think that is the name) has a cone (i think it is a cone or a washer dont have it in front of me) that is slightly bigger than 10mm. This cone/bushing/washer sits inside the hub on the drive side. This bushing is where the hub gets all its stability from. IF you take a 10 mm threaded solid axle and put it thru, I did this, the wheel will wobble. This is the reason for the custom axle. I am sure that i could get some type of different bushing or washer for the inside but my buddy loves a challenge....and beer. So he is easy to work with!

If you have one of those hubs and you pull it apart you will see that there is a flange on it. and a straight 10 mm threaded axle wont work. After looking at a bunch of axle's on the net it seems like every different hub uses a different style of axle with different diameters on the axle body. Good idea though.

mtbr member
    Gotcha, the hub in front of me is a Shimano. Good luck..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    SO you dont need a thru axle specific swingarm?
    Does it feel stiffer back there?
    And can I have a print of the axle so I can make one
    CDT
    Tony,
    i didnt forget about this. i just got the hub to my buddy and he is going to try to make one up. Not being a machinist i dont know what a print is. If worse comes to worst, i could probably mail mine to you so you could replicate. That said i probably wont get my first prototype anytime soon b/c he asked me/told me "so there is no deadline on this right" which means it will be awhile. Once i get it, I will PM you and you can tell me what you need to make your own.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    With the job change all these little jobs I can do for "me" are up in the air...Who knows how the new place will be.............

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shimano Deore and Deore XT hubs can be converted to bolt on axle.

Chris King be converted not as a solid axle but on bolt on.

Azonic Outlaw wheelsets can be run as QR, solid axle bolt-on and 12 thru-axle.

10mm solid axle can be used on any 135mm QR frame.

Yes the conversion will stiffen the swingarm but not as stiff as a 12 mm thru-axle.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    Shimano Deore and Deore XT hubs can be converted to bolt on axle.

Chris King be converted not as a solid axle but on bolt on.

Azonic Outlaw wheelsets can be run as QR, solid axle bolt-on and 12 thru-axle.

10mm solid axle can be used on any 135mm QR frame.

Yes the conversion will stiffen the swingarm but not as stiff as a 12 mm thru-axle.
    Hadley hubs can do just about anything you want. they can do 12 mm TA or 10. The std prophet can only do 10 mm TA though. I think the mx prophets have a 12 mm swing arm though. Dan G would have all they info you would ever want to know. Look for his posts on the subject.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    The std prophet can only do 10 mm TA though.
    I think you meant 10mm bolt-on axle.

I just wanna go fast...
    I'm not sure I would wan to go through all the work of machining out an axle for the fire hub, unless you're getting materials and machine time for super cheap.

I'm still on the fence about using a standard qr or 10 mm bolt on axle hub, it seems like there wouldn't be too much difference in stiffness as the qr essentially does the exact same thing as a nut on either side would do? Maybe I'm missing something.

As it is with a standard qr, I don't notice too much difference in flex out back than my DH bike.

mtbr member
    yeah i am getting free machining, uber high quality metals, and i need it not so much for the flex of the rear end but b/c I screwed up the drop outs on the drive side (Its a long story). I am going to have the der hanger support the axle since the swingarm material on the inside is somewhat mangled. I actually came up with a pretty simple and effective fix with epoxy (tough enough to handle a year of riding that included WISP and SNOWSHOE) and that is why I so long on the new axle. I dont plan on paying for a new swingarm for the bike till absolutely necessary. i dont know how much a bolt on will stiffen the swingarm flex. I second the thought that i wouldnt spend money to create a solid axle unless it was next to free. The hub doesnt justify extra $ of any real amount.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    I think you meant 10mm bolt-on axle.
    Opps, your are correct. Too much TA on the brain, or is it too much T&A on the brain.......
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.