mtbr member
    Sep 2010

'10 Cannondale F4 or F2?

Hello,
    I am a very new when it comes to mountain biking. I have been looking at getting a 2010 Cannondale F4 for $750 or a 2010 Cannondale F2 for $1,500. I canít decide whether the price difference is worth it? I plan on using the bike for commuting to the gym and some errands, and of course some single track trails here in the bay area. Is the lefty system something that will soon be dropped? Is the F4 worth upgrading to meet F2 potential? Some general advice and direction would be really appreciated.

I was also interested on getting some type of road tires to switch in and out, is it worth it? Good idea? Or even possible? Thanks again for your advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by splithigh
    Is the lefty system something that will soon be dropped?
    It would be a bit of a surprise if that happened (link to 2011 forks)

I was also interested on getting some type of road tires to switch in and out, is it worth it?
    Get some new wheels made up with 700C rims & you have an instant Bad Boy (well, without the black paint & reflective stickers).

On this side of the pond, the F2 is uses the Flash alloy frame, and the F4 uses the Trail SL frame. I assume (though it's not clearly stated) that the F2 frame is slightly lighter; it does have BB30 but no rack mounts. If you're planning to use your bike mainly as a commuter, would you not be better going for the cheaper option?

Andy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Andy,
    Thanks for responding. I did see the new pictures for the 2011 series, so that makes me feel comfortable about the lefty system. The new bikes look really nice! Thank you for the info on setting up the new wheels, I will absolutely look into setting that up. You bring a valid point about going for the cheaper option, I just want to make sure when I do go trail ridding that the bike will be able to keep up because Im 6'1 230. That is why I recently started to consider the F2. I originally looked into the F4 but started to think that once upgrades were done I would be around the same ball park, ex. forks. I also plan on upgrading the brakes and bike seat immediately on both choices. I keep going to my LBS and the guys there don't even try to sell me on either of them... so I dunno.

cde
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The weight difference between two frames will be minimal, but if you are planning to upgrade then F2 would be a better choice. The parts from the F4 are relatively heavy and when you are ready to upgrades, the entry level kits wouldn't worth much if any. Whereas the mid grade kit from the F2 will last you longer and will worth quite a bit more when you are trading for upgrades.

And since the F2 come with lefty, switching between road and mtb tires (not wheels) will be less time consuming as you don't have to take the wheel off.

Both are good choice, and should take your weight with no problem.