Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

1.5" Replacement Stems for Cannondale Trail

I ride the Cannondale Trail 4 29er in a Large and I feel to hunched over, and it is hurting my back. I'd like to feel more upright, but not change the steering of the bike like a shorter stem would do.

Would someone please tell me if there is a 1.5" replacement stem (preferably Cannondale brand or after-market) that matches the look/quality of the factory C4 stem that came with it but that has a steeper angle (to raise the handlebars?)

Mine is a 90mm and I believe it is 5 degrees. Also, please tell me what length/angle combo stem I get to keep the same distance forward from seat to handle bars, but just raise the handlebars up vertically from the ground so the bars will be more level (or slightly above) my seat vertically.

Finally, if you recommend changing the handle bars instead to riser bars rather than changing the stem to accomplish the same thing??

Thanks.

Nice day for a ride.....
    The C4 stem is reversible, I had to flip mine upside down for proper fit. Make sure its angled upwards. The bars are pretty low on the SL4 too, it would probably be easier to go to a taller bar than find a 1.5" stem.

Just out of curiousness, how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm 6'2" and the stem is angled up from the factory.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    C'dale sells these 1.5" stems with a 20 degree rise and lengths 80-120

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Do you have any more information regarding Cannondale stems with a 20 degree rise? Specically What the model numbers are and where I can purchase them?

Also if my current stem is 5 degrees and is 90mm, what length 20 degree stem would I want if I didn't want to change the distance horizontally between the handlebars and the seat? 90mm? 100mm?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't know model #s but I know you have to go to a C'dale dealer to order them. If you go back to your dealer they can call them up and check on the availability of the industry standard 1.5" stems in different sizes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My dealer has told me that Cannondale C4 riser stems will not be available until September or October of 2011. Wish I had known this before I bought the bike because I'm stuck with uncomfortably low bars until they become available.

I can't understand how an experienced company like Cannondale lets this happen. If you going to use a non-standard stem clamp (I know others make 1.5" stems, but any with a decent rise are nearly non-existent) then at least make sure to create sufficient stock. It's like punishing your customers for choosing your "advanced" frame technology.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Please let me know what you are able to get a hold of. I hope the come out with something 90-100mm in the 15-30 degree range.
    Last edited by sjroland; 08-21-2011 at 05:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    may have found a 90mm 20D stem on Ebay from some foreign country. Calls and emails to Cannondale were useless.

My question to them.

You make this slightly bigger than a standard size 1.5" so basically everyone will have to buy parts from you, then you don't produce the parts? Not a sound business model.

So if I somehow broke the stem, this bike would be useless.

Coming from Trek. Got too impatient waiting for the Mamba and the Cannondales were on sale.

Somehow I think Bontrager would have a dozen 1.5" stems to choose from if this was a Trek bike.

Very Disappointed.

mtbr member
    Here is a list of the 1.5" stems, with Part numbers.

Cannondale 1,5" Stem - Dr. Cannondale

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Got a 20 Degree stem last week.

Mine came with 100mm 5degree, New one is 100m 20degree. According to the stem calculator it moves my handle bars .5" closer and .9" higher.

If you have a 90mm like you think (its in the part number located on the stem)
    you'll go about 1" higher and the bars will be about 1/6" closer.

Enclosed is a picture, hopefully. No before and after pictures. I was there, they had it, got it put on fast deallies.

Good Luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.5" Replacement Stems for Cannondale Trail-qdale-100-20-15.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

re: stem

That stem looks like exactly what I have been looking for. Same bike as mine down to the color. I have 2 questions though:

1. Did you end up having to lengthen any cables to make it work?

2. When all is said and done, in your opinion does it really make a difference?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Have not been able to ride due to weather. Only in parking lot.
    Added 40mm rise handlebars last night. This combo made huge difference. My bike has to be be an intermediate level mountain / family cruiser combo. Have an iBert for the front. Installed it after the handlebars to see how much more room the daughters leg would have. HUGE difference.

Bars are off the stem when it is changed out. Change them too. Anywhere from 30mm-50mm rise and you'll definately notice the difference.

Your C3 handlebars are 680mm wide, 20mm rise, 9degree backsweep, and 300 grams in weight. Have those specs when you search for bars.

Mine are 20mm less wide (660mm), 20mm higher, and 33 grams lighter (266g). $34.

Keep checking site. I'll try and get some new pics up if I can get it out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Ok. so maybe this is an odd question, but: Why not get a 1.5 stem from an other company? I know the stem on the lefty isn't a 1.5, but on the trail 29er I thought it was a standard 1.5 steerer, since the fork is a mass produced RST, and not an in house Cannondale?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Find us a 20-30 degree 80-110mm stem. I googlefied the hell out of it for months.

Some 60-80mm 0-10 degree out there in 1.5.

Bontrager themselves have more stem lengths, angles, weights and colors than the rest of the 1.5" stem producers combined. Including Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pics of Cannandale. XL Frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.5" Replacement Stems for Cannondale Trail-dsc03303.jpg  

1.5" Replacement Stems for Cannondale Trail-dsc03304.jpg  

1.5" Replacement Stems for Cannondale Trail-dsc03302.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry D Dog just read your other question. No. No cable lengthen needed. Was able to slide shifters and brakes off the the handle bar still on stem. just turn the wheel if it is getting tight.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I guess I should have said this may be a stupid question... sorry I misunderstood what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Oh on a side note, could any of y'all send me a PM on how you like the trail 29er 4? I'm giving serious thought to getting a 2012 model in the spring and would love to hear from some current owners!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I love the black and green combo. Wish I would have waited and they added hydraulic brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice looking bike. Your stem and handlebar replacments are extactly what I'm looking for on my recent SL3. What were the part numbers for each? Also what brand kickstatnd do you have.

I'm also in the mountain bike/family getabout mix on my bike.

Trailhead Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini6 View Post
    Ok. so maybe this is an odd question, but: Why not get a 1.5 stem from an other company? I know the stem on the lefty isn't a 1.5, but on the trail 29er I thought it was a standard 1.5 steerer, since the fork is a mass produced RST, and not an in house Cannondale?
    I was under the impression that all of Cannondale's 1.5" steerers are different than the 1.5" industry standard, and I recall seeing somewhere in the documentation that the fork had a "custom steerer tube" or some such. I took that to mean it was Cannondale's odd size, though I suppose that could simply mean it was delivered to the factory already cut to length.

I'm interested in the answer because I recently picked up an '11 Trail SL2 and would like to experiment with different stems, it'd be nice if I could pick up some cheap takeoffs from somewhere. I suppose at some point I could measure it with calipers and see what it really is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've researched this by speaking with the tech at Cannondale. The trail 29ers all take the industry standard 1 1/2 stems (however I wonder why they call it an industry standard when they seem to be the only ones making bikes with a 1 1/2 head tube and stems are so hard to come by)

The head shock takes a slightly different size stem and they are not interchangeable. But if you find a "standard" (used loosely) 1 1/2 inch stem, it will work on the Trail SL -XX bikes.

Trailhead Poseur
    Thanks for the follow up. Actually a few days after I made that post, I had the stem off to flip it and measured the steerer with calipers. It came out to 1.5", so I assumed that any 1.5" stem would work. Good to have some confirmation. My stem options have gone from "Sorry, we don't make Cannondale-sized stems" to "Sorry, that stem doesn't come in 1.5"."

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Not only C'dale produces stems for Headshoks (1 9/16").
    As an example you can go gocycle.de and make search for keyword "headshok". There are HOPE stems for headshoks too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast