Lazy People Suck

1 1/8 conversion for Lefty

Does anyone know if Cannondale has any plans to create a conversion so Leftys can be used with 1.125 headtubes? A friend of mine said that he heard that they were working on it, but it was just rumour.

I have seen it done by individuals, but am curious if there is anything coming directly from Cannondale.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

LA CHÈVRE
    I wouldn't count on it. Cannondale barely wants Cannondale bike owners to buy Leftys separatly to upgrade (read very expensive) so I don't think they will make things any easier for regular frame owners. Money-wise, you're better off getting the whole bike.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I'm not sure how that's physically possible. You can't fit Texas into Delaware, I don't think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I'm not sure how that's physically possible. You can't fit Texas into Delaware, I don't think.
    It is totally possible. A friend of mine ride a santcruz superlite with a lefty for four years. The modification is not covered by warranty but very simple. You have to get the steerer un-riveted first. The next thing is to find a 1"1/8 steerer, not very difficult. Last stage: to find a CNC man to make two pieces of aluminum to fil the gap between the smaller diameter steerer and the two "T" of the lefty. The tolerances have to be very close so the assembly do not need unnecessary bolts. You can replace the rivet on the low "t" by a bolt. you can contact this shop who has supervize the modif: loisirs-vtt.fr

Poser
    It's possible. You just don't use the 1.5 steerer tube, and make new clamps to clamp onto a 1-1/8th steerer. Couple hundred bucks in machine work, unless you have a friend that's a machinist.

I got an interesting email from Cannondale this morning, after I asked about being able to upgrade the Max FFD to SPV:

"The 2005 140mm travel Lefty forks can be upgraded. BUT Cannondale will not
    have Lefty forks available until after the first production run is complete.
    Aftermarket cartridges will not be available until after New Years. "

Whoa. Aftermarket cartridges? Is he talking about the existing Manitou and Fox Terralogic liscensed cartridges, or what? If he's talking about something other, then I'd put credence to the 1-1/8th theory, because they'd have to have more market to make that worthwhile.

LA CHÈVRE
    That could be just for Lefty upgrades like the Cannondale exchange program, we'll see...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by direktor
    It's possible. You just don't use the 1.5 steerer tube, and make new clamps to clamp onto a 1-1/8th steerer. Couple hundred bucks in machine work, unless you have a friend that's a machinist.

I got an interesting email from Cannondale this morning, after I asked about being able to upgrade the Max FFD to SPV:

"The 2005 140mm travel Lefty forks can be upgraded. BUT Cannondale will not
    have Lefty forks available until after the first production run is complete.
    Aftermarket cartridges will not be available until after New Years. "

Whoa. Aftermarket cartridges? Is he talking about the existing Manitou and Fox Terralogic liscensed cartridges, or what? If he's talking about something other, then I'd put credence to the 1-1/8th theory, because they'd have to have more market to make that worthwhile.
    I do not believe in the the release of a 1-1/8th version of the lefty; Do you check the retail prices for lefty forks? very expensive, and I'd say too expensive. Cannondale has not the capacity to produce forks for aftermarket I guess

Are you talking to me?

Cannondale is not interested.

At least that is what they are saying. The Lefty can be converted, but not with factory parts.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Check on the 29er board. Someone posted some pictures of a Karate Monkey (and some others) with a Lefty fork. Do a search for 'Lefty' on that forum.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    Does anyone know if Cannondale has any plans to create a conversion so Leftys can be used with 1.125 headtubes? A friend of mine said that he heard that they were working on it, but it was just rumour.

I have seen it done by individuals, but am curious if there is anything coming directly from Cannondale.
    Our C-dale rep told me, in response to that exact question a few months ago, that C-dale had absolutely no plans to market a 1 1/8 version of the lefty. He said it was due to the likelyhood of frame breakage on bikes that were not designed for a double crown type fork. Sounds like if you want to do it, you're on your own.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

Lazy People Suck

Here is a photo of a 1 1/8 Lefty

A buddy of mine is a very good machinist and made this very clean conversion to a 1 1/8 Lefty. I wish Cannondale would do the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Motivating!!!!