mtbr member

New question here. 09 Rize carbon 1 Lefty loses travel both climbing and downhills

Is it simply a setting or adjustment?

Both climbing and on downhills the fork loses all travel then locks, I have to stop, get off the bike and manually realease it by pressing the top red buttons. It's not losing air just travel and it even does this while climbing, suddenly my front end is 3+ inches lower.

Any ideas?

Kelli

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi Kelli

I work as a mechanic in the Cannondale service center in Costa Rica (Central America), and down here we found at least 6 different PBR lefty with this problem.

This is cause by a O-ring in the air piston that let some air flow to a seal space in the middle of the air piston, this air trapped there acts just like an air travel adjust, so we call Cannondale and told them our theory and they agree with us sending a new redesign air piston .

So my advice to you is, send your fork to your local service center and tell them your problem.

PD:
    At least in Costa Rica this replacement is covered under warranty.

PD2:

Sorry for my english, I'm still learnig.
    Last edited by CdaleTony; 05-27-2009 at 08:06 PM.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moi_2212
    Hi Kelli

I work as a mechanic in the Cannondale service center in Costa Rica (Central America), and down here we found at least 6 different PBR lefty with this problem.

This is cause by a O-ring in the air piston that let some air flow to a seal space in the middle of the air piston, this air trapped there acts just like an air travel adjust, so we call Cannondale and told them our theory and they agree with us sending a new redesign air piston .

So my advice to you is, send your fork to your local service center and tell them your problem.

PD:
    At least in Costa Rica this replacement is covered under warranty.

PD2:

Sorry for my english, I'm still learnig.

None the less, very helpful and informative!!
    Thanks
    CDT

LA CHÈVRE
    There is an official document from Cannondale about this, explaining the problem and how to solve it... Here it is.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    There is an official document from Cannondale about this, explaining the problem and how to solve it... Here it is.
    jip, same problem with my Max PBR.
    Already called my LBS: easy to solve...

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Can someone clarify what the symptoms of this might be?

I got a Rize Carbon 1 end of March this year. When I am out riding, it seems like after about an hour, the fork is riding with much more sag than usual. After a while it even feels like it bottoms out on some hits. I had it set at 150psi and was getting this problem. (I am about 175lbs). After reading some threads here, I thought maybe I am just not putting enough air in it (the manual says about 115 psi but everyone seems to be far above that). So I put about 185psi and problem seems to have gone away, but only one short ride on it so far. At 185psi, it is a little harsh on the small stuff.

I read the Cannondale tech document above... do you think this is my problem? How would I know if my lefty pbr has the updated seal? Can I solve as suggested just by greasing the o-ring and re-seating in the groove without the update kit?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by runbaileyrun
    Can someone clarify what the symptoms of this might be?

I got a Rize Carbon 1 end of March this year. When I am out riding, it seems like after about an hour, the fork is riding with much more sag than usual. After a while it even feels like it bottoms out on some hits. I had it set at 150psi and was getting this problem. (I am about 175lbs). After reading some threads here, I thought maybe I am just not putting enough air in it (the manual says about 115 psi but everyone seems to be far above that). So I put about 185psi and problem seems to have gone away, but only one short ride on it so far. At 185psi, it is a little harsh on the small stuff.

I read the Cannondale tech document above... do you think this is my problem? How would I know if my lefty pbr has the updated seal? Can I solve as suggested just by greasing the o-ring and re-seating in the groove without the update kit?

Thanks!
    I dont know how much you weigh, but 185 psi is way too much.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    If you think 185psi is too much, can you tell me how much you weigh and how much psi you put in your lefty pbr for comparision?

So I just did a bearing reset (I have only put maybe 10 rides on this brand new bike) and maybe this may have been part of the problem. I think I gained back 3 or 4 cm of travel. Fully extended when doing the reset, I was getting about 722 mm length. After reassemble, now the shock boot looks noticeabley more extended so I must have gained something back.

As I mentioned above, I weigh about 175lbs. After doing the reset, I put back about 160 - 165psi in it, and it feels a bit better now. I agree, 185psi does sound like a lot, but halfway through my ride today, at 150psi I was bottoming out.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    To update... after my bearing reset last night, I went out today for a ride. Wow, what a difference. Yesterday I was not happy at all; today the fork was impressive to say the least.

So to recap:

Yesterday: my 10th ride on this brand new fork, at 150psi, fork was bottoming out, developing way too much sag part way through ride, my hands were getting sore, then pumped up to 185 mid-ride to eliminate bottom-out but then fork was awful on small bumps.

Last Night: did a bearing reset, my first one on this fork, my first one ever (this is the first lefty I've had). Pumped back up to 165. Obviously gained back about 3-4cm or more travel. Ride around the drive way, feels great.

Today: hard 1-hr ride, very rocky, very rooty, some steep drop offs... if there is a trail to test your front suspension, this was it. Amazing. 165psi maybe a touch firm I am thinking (I am 175lbs), but will err on slightly higher for now until I get a handle on this fork's performance and how frequently I need to reset bearings. However, when I got home from the ride today, I remeasured the fork length to assess bearing migration, and found ZERO change from last night. So hopefully this means I do not have the o-ring/sag issue mentioned above.

Summary: hopefully my problem with fork developing too much sag mid-ride was just a bearing migration issue. This is my first Lefty, so maybe having to do bearing resets is the "new normal" for me. I'm ok with that, even for only my first attempt last night it probably only took me 10mins tops, and that was going slow with regular looks at the manual to see if I was doing it right. Having ridden/raced a SID for many years, then a Fox 100 RLT, I will gladly accept a bearing reset once in a while. Even if I have to do it after every ride, it is probably worth it for this fork. Butter smooth, tracks incredibly. My post-ride bike maintenance always includes a quick clean of any mud/debris, a very thorough scrub of the chain, a lube-clean-relube with progold, so now if I ahve to spend an extra couple minutes every other ride or so doing a bearing reset, that is a-ok with me. By comparison, every SID I raced had to go back to be rebuilt in about 2 seasons of use or less. The one Fox I owned had bad seals that had to go back to be rebuilt after only a week after brand new. So if a few minutes of maintenance every week on a Lefty saves me a month without a fork, I will gladly accept that.

Bottom Line: Lefty's rock when they work as intended... I geuss I've learnt you just gotta keep an eye on that bearing migration.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm sure it's been posted here someplace but....Where can I get the instructions for a bearing reset? Are there special tools needed? I viewed the link provided by DG but that appears to be a different issue (?)

Thanks in advance for the input

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1cannondale
    I'm sure it's been posted here someplace but....Where can I get the instructions for a bearing reset? Are there special tools needed? I viewed the link provided by DG but that appears to be a different issue (?)

Thanks in advance for the input
    Cannondales' own manuals explains the bearing reset procedure. I only know for sure that the Lefty Max PBR manual shows the procedure but I'm sure the manuals for other models do as well.

You can find various manuals at Cannondales site right here;

http://www.cannondale.com/tech_center/

Below is the manual for the PBR. Scroll down to page 14 for the section on bearing reset;

http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf

I'm sure there are threads on how to do this on the forum here but I'm not sure I saw one for the PBR.

Hope this helps