mtbr member
    Jul 2009

09 Hollowgram SL Crankset 3x9 to 2x9

Hi guys!

I've been thinking to convert the Hollowgram SL crankset on my Rize from 3x9 to 2x9 since I really don't use the granny gear for my riding style. The ones I have now is 22/32/44 and want to get 29/44 instead. I've done a little research that I need a new spider, bolts, and the chainrings. Do I need a new spindle or front derailluer? Can anyone point me to a right direction? Thanks!

LA CHÈVRE
    You've got it.

New chainrings (if you buy the 29/44 Cannndale rings for the SL, I think they come with the No-nuts chainring bolts) and the 5 bolt 94BCD spider. No need to change the spindle unless you want to customize the chainline and q-factor a bit.

You could always get some 4 bolts rings and keep your spider. How's the clearance behind the rings? Could a 28T fit where the granny is and your 44T in the middle? Then you'd need the small ring and shorter bolts for the outer ring.

Whatever the spider/ring setup you go for, the derailleur will be fine, you'll just have to re-adjust the limit screws, maybe it's height on the seat tube...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    just think....if you knew someone that had a Cannondale Hollowgram 94/58 bcd spider & 42/29/21 rings for sale...Hmmmmm...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Dan, thanks for the info. I don't think I have enough clearance with the swingarm for a 28T at the granny position (see pic)? Maybe I should go with a new spider route.

Hal, they look great. Please check your PM...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09 Hollowgram SL Crankset 3x9 to 2x9-snv14846a.jpg