mad aussie

09 DLR's with Poplock?

Was chatting today to the Cannondale demo guy. He was telling me that the new Lefty 130 will be Fox RLC damper equipped and coil sprung. Interestingly right now in testing Cannondale are trying Motion Control Dampers with poplock lock out on the DLR forks and these may well be what the 09 DLR 110 standard and SL come with. It would be nice to see some kind of adjustable compression on the DLR forks rather than having to mess around with the cartridge.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Hey Kevin, what do you mean by poplock? I think I have an idea but could you elaborate? Thanks.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Some more info can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYFDYX4i2EY

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Ummm..Motion Control is an RS Term, as is PopLock, so I dunno why Fox would be using those on their branded Lefty's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    they certainly wouldn't be Fox leftys any more, and I doubt that anyone would be happy with Fox on some and Rockshox on others, business-wise. It'd be cheaper (and therefore more reasonable to expect) for the leftys to be all one brand damper.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    As long as we're tossing rumors, I heard about a single piece lower steerer/axle assembly, shaving "significant" weight....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mad aussie
    OK, rumor is short travel Lefty SRAM/Rockshox internals long travel Lefty Fox internals.
    Who knows, but right now I would just settle for a Lefty that actually holds air!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    OK, rumor is short travel Lefty SRAM/Rockshox internals long travel Lefty Fox internals.
    Who knows, but right now I would just settle for a Lefty that actually holds air!

Kevin
    So do you think that means the 110 RLC will no longer be around in 09?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    As long as we're tossing rumors, I heard about a single piece lower steerer/axle assembly, shaving "significant" weight....
    that's what I heard too, it was for the new lefty SL that will help shave 300g off the current version.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    Who knows, but right now I would just settle for a Lefty that actually holds air!Kevin
    Hey Kevin, What's goin' on with you SL? Does it need a new seal?

Thanks for the info BTW. I read somewhere on this forum that the 130 would also come in an air version. No mention of that?

I agree that having on the fly damping control would be very sweet
    For my SL, it is the one thing I wished for so it looks like my wish has come true. Now I just need to be patient...

I think it is awesome that Cdale can play so well with others. It is the only way to bring such great things to our well deserving mountain bikes.
    I have never ridden a recent Rock Shox fork so I can say nothing about their damping, but I rather have adjustable damping than the Fox RLC adjustments. Lock out and damping control I am all about it!!! Do you agree?

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    that's what I heard too, it was for the new lefty SL that will help shave 300g off the current version.
    Wooo! That sounds highly optimistic. It makes total sense to make it one piece. Will this be for 2009?

If it shaves off 300g, I wonder how much it will shave off of my wallet

I can't wait to put one on my bike The front end is already so freakin' light.

mad aussie
    Cannondale tech has my Lefty, its losing air from somewhere and caused me to DNF at a race yesterday. It seems to be a issue if I dont flood the internals with tenacious oil and even then it leaks slowly. The rep says they will take care of me, most likely a new fork as my current is under warranty.
    He didnt say for sure that they were going the Rockshox route, just that they were testing shocks with a poplock lockout. I would guess that they are trying quite a few other damping options for the DLR in 09 as the current cartridge design has been around for a while.

Kevin

mnt bike laws of physics
    Sorry to hear that Kevin. It's one thing to not be prepared, but it is very discouraging to DNF from a race because of a faulty bike.

What will you use in the mean time?
    My first race is coming up in 2 weeks in El Paso. The Rush loves this course. It is 44 miles of mostly sweet technical singletrack called the El Paso Puzzler. It sounds like your cup of tea doesn't it? Wish you could come down for that

mad aussie
    I am going to throw on a DLR alloy we have at the shop as a spare to use for the Antelope Peak Challenge this weekend. This weekends rides should total 110 miles and 13,000 feet of climbing. New fork should be here by early next week. My team mates SL (currently his second) has been faultless, it survived La Ruta without any issues.
    Currently everything gearing at 24HOP for Feb 16/17 I would love to come down for some new trails and/or a race sometime after that.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Sorry to hear that Kevin. It's one thing to not be prepared, but it is very discouraging to DNF from a race because of a faulty bike.

What will you use in the mean time?
    My first race is coming up in 2 weeks in El Paso. The Rush loves this course. It is 44 miles of mostly sweet technical singletrack called the El Paso Puzzler. It sounds like your cup of tea doesn't it? Wish you could come down for that

mnt bike laws of physics
    Damn K, you don't stop, do you? I checked out the Arizona Endurance series site and it looks just like the NM Endurance Site.

If you get a bad SL, how long is it before things go wrong with it? I got mine in July of 2007.

Where you gonna be at the 24HOP? My team is called Smokin' Ray and the butts. I'm one of the butts. I'm there to support my friends and have some fun...since I'm on a 5 person team, I'll mostly be putting out some super fast single laps.

mad aussie
    If you get a bad SL you know about it pretty quickly, its like a computer. If you havent had any problems at this point chances are it is going to be fine.
    I am riding the solo division at 24HOP, so make sure you say hi as you go speeding past!

Kevin

mnt bike laws of physics
    SOLO!!!????
    I'll hand you a chicken leg and a coke when I go by