Tool

'08 Scalpel Creek Cured

I've only had my new Scalpel 2 for two weeks, so you can imagine how frustrated and annoyed I was when it started creeking on my most recent ride. It started as a very slight creek, but got progressively worse as my ride went on. It got to the point where it sounded like the bike was going to explode with every pedal stroke. I could not discern where is was coming from until it got this bad.

It turned out to be the rear suspension linkage.

How did I cure it on the trail? I sprinkled a little water on it from my Camelback, and the noise went away instantly and did not return for the remaining 1.5 hours of my ride. I have yet to ride the bike again since then, but I know what I'll try first if the noise resurfaces.

It was hot out that day with moderate humidity.

It has been very, very wet in New England since I got my bike, so I have been riding in muddy conditions, however, I've been carefully washing my bike after each ride, following all of Cdale's recommendations. I've been towel-drying the bike after each wash, followed by aiming a fan at the bike for a few hours afterwards (I have to store it in my basement, so with the dehumidifier I run down there I'm probably achieving about 50% humidity).

I suppose one has to expect some stuff like this to happen under such conditions, however, I was amazed at how simple it was to make the noise disappear. Sorry if this is old news for you Scalpel owners, but dong a search here I couldn't find any similar experiences with a 100mm Scalpel.

There's nothing I hate more than a noisey bike.

-Pete

mtbr member
    it's going to come back...

I had an annoying creak with my 08 scalpel and it drove me crazy trying to find out what it was.

at one of the races I attended the cannondale sobe mechanic took my entire linkage apart till he found out it was the bearings/bushings whatever...has gotten all fuxored.

since I wash my bike with a garden hose and sponge I knew I has not gotten any high pressure water in there so the only thing I could think of is driving in the rain with the bike on the back of a rack for a hours and having that rain water and road gunk contaminated the bearings.

since the bike was obviously new he replaced all the bearings/bushings and i've not had an issue since.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem after only 3 rides. It turned out to be the shock in my case. I have the DT Swiss carbon shock and this shock has pivoting ball joints that made the creaking noise. With a few drops of oil on both the ball joints, the creaking disappeared.
    Kayba

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    it's going to come back...
    You were correct, HAL. The noise returned today in full force. Fortunately, I was also right and it went away again with a light sprinkle of water and stayed away for the entire ride, only returning as I was literally about 100 yards from the car. As far as I can tell from all this, moisture/humidity keeps the noise away as a temp. solution (I was in and out of mud until the last .5 mile of my ride, and the air was very dry today for a change).

Since my bike's still very new, I imagine I won't have any issues getting the same treatment as you from my LBS. It's good to know once it was rebuilt the noise never came back. I wonder if it was perhaps not lubed properly from the factory?

Thanks for the heads up.

-Pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Mine is starting to creek too! It sounds like an old rocking chair and the ticking is related to the shock movement. At first I thought it was my saddle but after greasing all parts of the saddle and post the noise was still there.
    The strange thing is that it is a loud heavy creeking in the beginning of the ride. When I've ridden for an hour or so or after many bumps it gets less.
    I will spray some oil all over and inform you if it will be less. Did anyone demount the linkage himself to cure the problem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Same thing happen to my scalpel's, the one with the Dt swiss and RP23 (I might be selling the rear shock) The problem is in the linkage, Everytime After cleaning that section the noise goes away, but when im back in the trail it comes back....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tond
    Mine is starting to creek too! It sounds like an old rocking chair and the ticking is related to the shock movement. At first I thought it was my saddle but after greasing all parts of the saddle and post the noise was still there.
    The strange thing is that it is a loud heavy creeking in the beginning of the ride. When I've ridden for an hour or so or after many bumps it gets less.
    I will spray some oil all over and inform you if it will be less. Did anyone demount the linkage himself to cure the problem?
    I did. I took off the shock, put some grease on the ball joints (DT Swiss) and on the shock mount surfaces. I also put some metal friction oil on the damper shaft. After cleaning the bike, I always put some oil on the damper shaft by the way. I don't have any more creaking noises during my rides now.
    Kayba

LA CHÈVRE
    If it ever happens to mine, I guess I would take a good look at pages 13 and 14 of the Scalpel Manual and take the link apart, check if the bearings are smooth, clean everything, grease well and reassemble...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks guys, I think I''ll have something to do this weekend!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    Same thing happen to my scalpel's, the one with the Dt swiss and RP23 (I might be selling the rear shock) The problem is in the linkage, Everytime After cleaning that section the noise goes away, but when im back in the trail it comes back....
    When you're biking in a places named Creek Valley you're asking for trouble Sebastian

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had the same problem with mine when it was new. It creaked like crazy.

I completely disassembled the rear suspension and found that one of the bearing caps had been installed backwards by cannondale.

Put a little grease on all the moving parts and put it back together.

Been quite since then.

I would suggest just tearing it down and cleaning everything up and see if that cures it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I Teflonsprayed everywhere between joints of shock and link without mounting anything and it already worked for my ride yesterday! If it returns I'll demount.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i had an 08 carbon scalpel team, it creaked every ride. i did everything i could. nothing would cure it.

i got my 09 carbon scalpel team 3 weeks ago. no creaks, nothing. ive been happy.

maybe its just in some frames.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by cswi9367
    i had an 08 carbon scalpel team, it creaked every ride. i did everything i could. nothing would cure it.

i got my 09 carbon scalpel team 3 weeks ago. no creaks, nothing. ive been happy.

maybe its just in some frames.
    You already have a '09? Does it have a new Lefty?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Are there anymore changes you notice?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    On my carbon 08 scalpel, i have noticed 2 problems giving cracking sounds

1 : the lower bearing of the aluminium arm get compressed when I screw the axle at recomanded torque, because hose on the frame is to short !!
    I added 2 washers 0.3 mm thick, to correct axial play, after bearings run free, without cracking

2 : in transmission, when chain begin to be leaking oil, on heavy load, I ear "click" on every turn of pedal .... grr....

Tool
    I had my LBS pull apart my shock linkage the other day, and wouldn't you know it, Cdale didn't put a drop of lube anywhere in there. The mechanic was dumbfounded - he couldn't believe Cdale's quality control. He says he'll now start pulling them all apart upon building them, 'cause if he doesn't, he'll surely have to do it later for a pissed off customer.

I've had a couple noise-free rides now. No more scaring kids and wildlife.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My 08 Team Scalpel started to creek on me... t'was annoying..

I'll try the tips and recommendations

thanks

mtbr member
    mine has started creaking too after only 4 rides. i wonder if there was a problem with the manufacturing of the 2008 models???

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    yes, i have the new lefty also.
    still, no creaking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I dont know but, even by replacing, greasing, cleaning the bearings, bolts, screws. The noise always comes back.....

mtbr member
    Park Tool bearing grease applied liberally to all moving parts in the rear linkage / rear shock mount has solved my creaking on a 2010 Scalpel 2.

All the noise I was getting was driving me friggn nuts - now I just enjoy the ride.

Thanks all for this thread!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0