mtbr member

'08 Scalpel Chain Length?

I'm setting up my bike with 1x9 and am curious about how short to make the chain. How much chain growth is there at full compression? I can't do the big/big with the suspension compressed because its difficult to compress the flexing chainstays even with the shock removed. When i set up with big/big +1 my chain looks like the Pinkbike image which they say is ok-

I added one link because i can't compress the suspension enough to test if that will max it out. Is this ok? Or, do i require the extra link to compensate for chain growth?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That looks pretty tight, I'd add another couple of links there.

mtbr member
    i did add another link. i wonder why pinkbike says that's good tho? Is there really that much more chain growth on the scalpel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How did you add a link ? I thought it was a no-no...
    Last time I did it, it broke my rear derailleur

On my F29 I have 39/26 11-36 medium rear cage, looks like 55 links is a good combo.
    54 is a bit tight, although it works, but then this is a HT...
    My chain shows some stretch signs, and a new KMC x10SL is on its way - I will go back to 55 definitely, love the Bib/Big combo.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    I have a long piece of chain and have multiple shorter lengths that i add with power links. This is only for parking lot testing and very light trail time. I usually do this to test dial in my drivetrain before setting it up permanent. Problem is, i can't test full compression since i'm injured and can't handle terrain that will max it out. This is why i'm trying to find out if anyone knows how much chain growth occurs. I'm coming from a hard tail back ground (this is my first FS) and mostly singlespeed, so, chain length was easy to get right from the start.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Add another link. Having the cage at the 4 o'clock position pictured is putting unnecessary strain on your derailleur. Another link may move it to 5 o’clock which would be better.

Since you are running 1x9, when in the little cog the cage will prob only be at 7 o’clock even if you add a link, and this will still provide a good tension to the chain without straining your RD.

mtbr member
    Ok. Got a pic of my bike in the big/big and big/small (1x9). I really don't think there could be more than this chain growth i hope. i really would like to even remove a link, but, I'm keeping like this to be safe.

'08 Scalpel Chain Length?-cam00184.jpg

'08 Scalpel Chain Length?-cam00190.jpg