The Martian
    Jan 2007

08 Rush feminine 2 vs. 08 Rush 4

So, I'm probably going to end up with one of the two of these by the end of the year. I need a size small, so there is no difference in geometry other than trail length. The components look vastly different between the two though (moreso than I expected) and I'm a bit lost. The Rush 4 is slightly more expensive ($300ish?) and I know it's got better brakes and a better drive train but I have no clue when it comes to tires/handlebars/wheels/etc. Also the website claims there is a 2 to 3lb difference in favor of the Rush 4 (rush 4 at 26.4 vs. rush feminine 2 at 28.8)....can this be right!?!?!? If this is true there's no contest between the bikes!

Here are the links to the specifications:
    Feminine: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/c...del-8VMW2.html
    4: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8VM4.html

So any thoughts? Are the components on the Rush 4 that much better or just different/lighter? I know the rear shocks are different on the two bikes; what do I gain with the 4 over the feminine? Also has anyone seen the "black tint clear" color....I can't decide if I like it or not from the website picture and it looks like it'd be a LOVE or a HATE sort of thing.

I ride mainly for fun. I'm thinking about trying some racing out, but nothing serious. I'm looking for a bike that will climb like no one's business, but that I'm not afraid to run off the occassional 2-3foot drop or more AM side of XC type course and I want something that I can do long rides on...basically a jack of all trades type bike.

mad aussie
    The weight difference between the two bikes would be primarily in the wheels and tires. The sun ringle wheelset with 24 spokes would be a lot lighter than the 32 hole one with a Shimano LX rear hub on the Feminine. The tires are Maxxis exceptions which are lighter than the wire beaded Ridgelines on the Rush Feminine. The Feminine has a women's saddle by Terry and probably a narrower bar.
    I would suggest the 4 as being the better bike and better value overall. To be honest Cannondale (and other manufacturers) tend to upcharge for a "womens specific" bike with the same components as a "men's bike" because often women come into the bike shop and are convinced the need the womens specific and dont compare componentry. You can always add the saddle of your choice and cut the bar down if you want narrower. In addition the Rush 4 could be even lighter with some choice upgrades such as the handlebar to a carbon one and a lighter seatpost.
    As far as the color a friend of mine as an 06 Rush in the black tint and I think it looks really good.

Kevin

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Thanks Wombat. It's impressive that tires/wheels can make that much of a difference. They'd probably be the first things I'd upgrade anyway (I'd like to go tubeless), but a 2k bike is pushing my budget so I'll have to live with components for awhile and upgrade as things wear out, or I find good deals.

I'm noticing the upcharge thing as well. I looked at some specialized stumpies the other weekend and the "mens" bike was something close to $300 cheaper with the same or better components and without the hideous pink color!

Being 5' though I've found if I don't walk in and demand to see a mens bike and then demand that I know what I'm doing all I'll get shown is the one extra small female specific entry level bike in the back of the store...

mad aussie
    At 5' tall you might almost think about a the XS frame. My wife is 5'1" and she rides an XS Titus and loves the bike because it was the first that she felt really comfortable on. Also worth noting that with the Lefty you cant run a shorter stem than a 90mm. I am 5'6" and am going to a small Rush because my medium Scalpel always felt too long and I had problems with tight singletrack turns.

Kevin

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    To go to the petite on the Cannondale all I gain is something like .3inches of standover clearance and I loose almost an inch of toptube length...which is a death sentence for the bike. I have a very long torso for my height (I take a mens medium backpacking pack!!!), so I need the top tube length as long as I can get it with decient standover.

The small Cannondale is actually the first bike I've tried that I wouldn't have to change the handlebars and stem setup (most are set too high for me so I'd have to pull out spacers and flip over the stem or go to a straight stem); that's a good thing though because you can't make the cannondale stem setup any lower. Top tube length has been consistantly good for me in the small size frames though. My current extra small trek is too cramped; I really need to get a longer stem for it to try to adjust somewhat.

I'm still looking at other brands, and actually really liked the specialized stumpjumper I tried out, so we'll see. I'm still waiting on one of the 2 local shops to get a small 08 rush in for me to try.

mad aussie
    Glad that the small size will work for you then. In that case definately go for the regular version if you decide to go the Cannondale route. Come to think of it the small Rush with a 22 inch horizontal top tube is fairly short compared with the Scalpel for example. In addition the paint schemes are much better on the men's versions. It always pisses my wife and her female teammates off that companies always assume that women want their bikes with pink and/or pastel with flowers on them.........

Kevin

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I'm another one of those that's offended by the pink and pastel crap. Had a bike shop pull me out a bright pink bike last weekend and I told them to put it up and show me the mens version because I wasn't interested . We actually had a long conversation about the womens specific pink phenominon after that; apparently I wasn't the first girl to turn her nose up at the bike! I told them I wanted black or red or bright yellow or orange or lime green, but not pink or blue (ALL of my bikes are blue and silver because apparently girls like baby blue *sigh*).

I really like the stark black feminine 2 but why did they find the need for stylized flowers? Maybe I can get them to put together a Rush 4 for me on the black frame that they are using for Rush 5z's (same frame)...