Thread: 08 Prophets

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

08 Prophets

Was looking to buy a new bike and was thinking about the 08 prophet 4. Just wanted to know what your thoughts were if this bike is a good value.This will be my first full suspension bike.
    thanx

Prophet converted!
    I've got a 2007 P5, and I love it. I'm not sure how much the P4 is, but i'm guessing whatever it is, it's worth it. The Prophet is a great bike!
    07 Prophet 5

mtbr member
    I got my first Prophet earlier this year; anyways, what I did - and what I recommend - is that you buy the cheapest model of the Prophet and then upgrade the parts as you get more experience on the bike and figure out exactly what you want. I personally prefer ultimately to choose the components rather than let Cannondale. The frames of all models will be the same.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I did the same thing with my 600 (2006). It is more expensive to do it this way, but you get a better bike, IMHO.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    I did the same thing with my 600 (2006). It is more expensive to do it this way, but you get a better bike, IMHO.
    I agree, that is the route I went.

SHIFT_
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky3412
    Was looking to buy a new bike and was thinking about the 08 prophet 4. Just wanted to know what your thoughts were if this bike is a good value.This will be my first full suspension bike.
    thanx
    Look for a left over 07 model, I recently got a prophet 4 from rei for $1500, it listed for $2000.
    07 Cannondale Prophet 4 - Sold
    06 Novara Ponderosa - Cracked
    New bike pending

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    make sure its one with a lefty

gl1
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    make sure its one with a lefty
    2008 Prophets don't come with a Lefty. That's OK though, as you get a sweet Fox fork. I recently bought a 2008 Prophet 2, and I have to say, what an amazing bike! The Fox Float RL fork is soooo light and plush - it feels like it has a coil spring! The RP2 shock is great too.

I wouldn't recommend buying the lowest model and going from there. You can save plenty of money buying a bike with close to the components you want, instead of buying a new wheelset, fork, shock cranks etc., which is what might happen if you buy the lowest model. Not all of us has cash to burn! This is especially the case if you only need to change a few minor parts.

got the dhr...
    im probably gettin a p2 for X-mas, but one question, does it have a way to mount a bottle cage?

gl1
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by luseboy
    im probably gettin a p2 for X-mas, but one question, does it have a way to mount a bottle cage?
    Underneath the downtube, but it's in such a rediculous place, it isn't a sensible option. This question was posted recently:

Water bottle on a Prophet?