mtbr member

'08 Prophet 2 w/ 24 hole rims?

I noticed the new Prophet 2 comes spec'd w/ DT Swiss 4.2D rims with 24 spokes. The website, I think, says 32 hole, but I counted (and have been told) 24 spokes. The spokes are DT Swiss Champion. I'm no expert, but 24 hole rims on an "AM trailbike" seems a bit suspect to me. Will the Champion spokes compensate, in terms of strength, for the lack of 32 spokes? For what it's worth, I weigh 200 lbs, but tend to ride fairly smoothly. But I don't want to shy away from any trail "challenges". Will this wheelset cut it?

mtbr member
    I've beaten the hell out of my 24 hole Mavic TXC 3.01 laced with DT super comp spokes on my '02 Jekyll. After all this time I have a slight flat spot on the rear rim (not noticeable with tyre mounted) and once I had a loose spoke. The wheels have always run true, I think I have had them trued once in the last 5 years.
    I only weigh 160 lbs but have really done some heavy riding on these, big crashes etc and they seem to have held up great. I think having the strong rim helps but I find 24 just fine.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    About a year ago I posted a similiar thread here on the forum when I was looking to buy some 819's for my Prophet. The Jekyll was also spec'd with 24 spoke 819's and it was an 'all mountain' bike too. I ended up buying both 32 and 24 spoke 819 wheelsets and have ridden them both. I have settled with the 24 spoke versions because they have the better DT Swiss 340 hub. I even run 8 inch Hayes Mag brakes and have never had an issue. If you search this foum for "819 24 prophet" there is lots more info to read.

got the dhr...
    hey go pirates, i have a prophet 2 too . the rims are sweet. i absolutley hate the hubs though . i would like to change them out with chris kings. the rims work just fine. i thought they were 32's, well, theyre strong. i just got back from a weekend of some very fast downhill (drive up ride down, thats how steep!) filled with rocks and logs, and i didnt once feel them being unstrong. i also do a lot of street riding and small jumps, so i think they're very strong.