mtbr member
    Jul 2006

08 and fewer lefty's

Sorry and sorry, I know this probably was beaten to death recently, I searched but found no threads so I'll bring it up, again probably.
    (yes I'm probably a bad searcher, beat me with a stick.........)

Why are there fewer leftys on the 08's. I'm looking at the Rush's. 07's started with the rush 5 and 4, both were a little less high end than the 08 rush 4, and a little cheaper.
    Now the Rush's with lefty start with the 4 and are quite a bit more $.

I was planning on buying one at the first of the year but unless I find an 07 still around
    ( I'm not buying a brown bike though) looks like I'll spend about $400 to $600 more for the 08 rush 4.

Are they trying to put it only on the higher end bikes......? or .........?
    Still going to get one but may have to save a few more pennies first.

confused and probably a bit lighter in the wallet next year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    According to sales statistics for the 2007 model year, Cannondale mountain bikes sold in better quantities with the "z" designation, meaning the bike sourced an aftermarket fork in place of Lefty. There is no doubting that the Lefty is still the superior design however it requires far too much convincing than it is worth. Limiting Lefty forks for 2008 was simply a sales call based on supply and demand; it is far easier to sell a Cannondale with a F100, etc than a Lefty. Apparently, Cannondale has a few things up their sleeve with Lefty and should return in larger numbers for 2009.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sorry to say this but I just replaced my dlr lefty with a Fox fork talas. I'm happy with it. Thought there are lots of lefty owners that are happy with the lefty too.

mtbr member
    May 2005

editorial (rant)

buyers are generally ignorant, want what seems cool for "all mountain", want a fox sticker for their pick-up truck. the average sales associate is ignorant and service departments don't like to work on them cuz they can be intimidating if you don't know them well. this is the fault of LBS owners, c-dale reps and the company itself. it bothers me so cuz it is truly a superior shock. lighter, simpler, easier to overhaul, etc. it's also the best performing 29er shock out there. maybe the lefty should have been named a "scalpel" cuz precision slice/dice is the name of it's game.

the only thing that can be improved is the boot seal.

even if i were buying another cannondale but wanted a fox, i would get the cannondale spec'd w/ a lefty, sell the lefty on ebay cuz they go for LOTs new, then buy a fox plus reducers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesofsmyles
    According to sales statistics for the 2007 model year, Cannondale mountain bikes sold in better quantities with the "z" designation, meaning the bike sourced an aftermarket fork in place of Lefty. There is no doubting that the Lefty is still the superior design however it requires far too much convincing than it is worth. Limiting Lefty forks for 2008 was simply a sales call based on supply and demand; it is far easier to sell a Cannondale with a F100, etc than a Lefty. Apparently, Cannondale has a few things up their sleeve with Lefty and should return in larger numbers for 2009.
    I'm not a Cannondale owner but I agree 100% with your post. I am also one of those people who needs convincing. I just don't see the advantage of the design. I worry about catastrophic failure due to the hub mounting and associated stress, etc. And, I believe it has, in the end, cost sales. I'm probably wrong and it is a good fork I'm sure but I don't think I would want one.

mad aussie
    I would say that catastrophic failure is actually less likely with the Lefty because of the permanent fixing of the axle through the lower leg. I have seen plenty of standard forks fail because of QR failure or the dropouts cracking, never seen it happen to a lefty. The main issue was with the subcontracter electing to save some money by omitting the loctite (something that Cannondale should have picked up I might add) so some of the DLR forks came unscrewed and seperated.
    The main hit against the Lefty is the need for regular bearing resets, it doesnt bother me, but a lot of people dont want to do any maintenance on their bikes, even something as simple as a bearing reset, hell they cant adjust derailleurs or even bother cleaning the chain!
    As far as the advantages go with my Lefty SL, 2.7lb, 110mm of travel and more stiffness than a SID could even have in a wet dream seems like a pretty clear advantage to me...........

Kevin

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    No worries on the lefty left axle mount at all. It is very strong. No possibliities on failure on that. The only problem is the proprietary design. You can only bring it on your C'dale dealer but not other bike shops are able to work and service on the lefty!

Btw, you can bent a rim like a potato chip but the left will hold strong. There have been some pictures online to prove that.

I love cannondale frames but I guess not the headshock. My next cannondale would be a mid range headshock and I'll probably get another after market fork as an upgrade.

mad aussie
    One bonus on the Lefty is that it is quite simple internally and easy to work on yourself. If you have an external bearing BB wrench, a 24mm socket, a castle tool and an allen key set, some grease and Phil Woods tenacious oil you can easily do most work yourself. In contrast rebuilding a Marzocchi or Fox means we draw straws at the shop and the loser gets the job.
    I do agree that those not mechanically inclined and with a crappy Cannondale dealer might be better off with a Fox, Zokes or RockShox.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    the average sales associate is ignorant and service departments don't like to work on them cuz they can be intimidating if you don't know them well. this is the fault of LBS owners, c-dale reps and the company itself. it bothers me so cuz it is truly a superior shock. lighter, simpler, easier to overhaul, etc. it's also the best performing 29er shock out there. maybe the lefty should have been named a "scalpel" cuz precision slice/dice is the name of it's game.
    I think 'Dale dealers and reps know the score, and do a lot to encourage Lefty sales. They don't require complex training to service, and a customer can get their fork serviced at the shop they bought it from without sending it out, i.e. Fox. This decreases cost and turnaround time. When I first started working at a 'dale dealer ( don't anymore), I was leary of the Lefty too, just because I'd never ridden or worked on one, but I was quickly set straight.

That said, it can be a tough sell to someone who has never seen one, and considering the quality of forks they were speccing on the "Z" models last year, I'm not surprised they sold well. You may have to talk someone into a Lefty in a way you won't have to for a Rush3 with a Fox F100X!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    buyers are generally ignorant, want what seems cool for "all mountain", want a fox sticker for their pick-up truck. the average sales associate is ignorant and service departments don't like to work on them cuz they can be intimidating if you don't know them well. this is the fault of LBS owners, c-dale reps and the company itself. it bothers me so cuz it is truly a superior shock. lighter, simpler, easier to overhaul, etc. it's also the best performing 29er shock out there. maybe the lefty should have been named a "scalpel" cuz precision slice/dice is the name of it's game.

the only thing that can be improved is the boot seal.

even if i were buying another cannondale but wanted a fox, i would get the cannondale spec'd w/ a lefty, sell the lefty on ebay cuz they go for LOTs new, then buy a fox plus reducers.

well put.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Simply put (cause I can't ignore it, and I'm sick of talking about it) Leftys have been around since pre Y2K, and allowed the company to make enough money, to start a motorsports company, which failed (due to poor choices, not bad design), ending in bankruptcy for the company. This allowed a financial holding company to come into ownership, and whose principal focus is to strip anything "edgey" from the line, make it nice, and "safe" and provide better "performance for stock holders". Leftys had so few problems for such a long time, the new owners figured they'd better shake things up, and use a cheaper company to make the cartridges, enter the DLR2, and the recall nightmare. No structural or design issues, just a cheap a$$ maker, trying to cut corners, as that sort of cut rate company tends to do. They skipped the loctite step, saved a few bucks for their pockets, and screwed the Leftys reputation to the wall in the process. Lefty's design is safe, solid, dependable, rebuildable, and overall, cheaper to keep running, just as it has been, FOR ALMOST 10 YEARS. For all other salient points, see Mathewsen's response, it's right on.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks for the replies, its nice to hear from some real experts. If I posted this on my local forum I probably would have gotten a bunch of smartass remarks and cdale bashing. It'll probably be around February before I'll be ready to buy so I guess I'll see what's availible then, (unless there's something reeeeallly neat coming next year )

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have been riding bicycles for 19 years. This includes all levels of BMX and Mountain XC, AM. The Lefty is awesome! I currently run a '05 Prophet 1000 as an all around work horse. I have a year of hard riding on the Lefty and it has been pure joy. Even laid it into a flat table top and landed very hard...No flex. All other forks I have ridden had flexing issues.

I am sold on the Lefty...I just laugh at ignorant people

Like catnip for people
    Look at the lefty statistic charts on golefty.com

It's stronger than most single crown forks, lighter, has survived stronger impact tests than fox, marz, rs, etc... Stiff as hell, doesn't flex and gives you such a direct feeling when you ride...

plus what else can a left handed person ride??

<- LEFT HANDED

Members who have read this thread: 0