mtbr member
    Aug 2007

08 DLR2 oil leak from around rebound knob

Hello,

I have an aluminum dlr2 lefty 08 model from a 1fg size xl with several rides on it. It is leaking loads of cartridge oil (thin) from between the rebound adjuster and the lockout lever. I tried to lightly tighten the nut that holds the lockout lever on but it still looks like the exxon valdez even after just sitting overnight- like the oil rises out of it against gravity in the night. If you ride it drips off the end of the lockout lever. It leaves puddles in my truck.

The lockout is Reba Floodgatish now- mushy

It also will not fully extend when it is unladen unless you put your foot on the tire and pull up on the bars. With 150 PSI. It will extend about another 3/4 of an inch.

Thanks Cannondale!

Is there anything I can do myself to fix it?

thanks

mtbr member
    I had a similar issue with my 07' DLR2 on my Rush...My LBS sent it back to Cannondale and they repaired it under warranty. Cost me $13 shipping and a week and a half without my bike. It has been Good to Go since..."knock on wood"

7hz
    Old newbie
    This is a known issue, search this forum, they machined the spindle too small, the cart needs replaced. Supprised C/dale are still letting these ones out the shop :-/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yep - dodgy cartridge. Take it back and get a new one fitted under warranty.

The reason you don't get full extension is that the negative springs in DLR2s are too stiff as standard (in my opinion at least). Your XL size frame will come speced with a Black (Extra Hard) negative spring in the fork. You need a Red (Hard) spring to get full extension at 150psi.
    Get it swaped when they replace the cartridge and it should only cost you a few bucks for the spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks alot for the heads up! I'll take it in today.