mtbr member
    Oct 2010

08 Cannondale Scalpel 3 Help!

My setup: stock cannondale scalpel 3

i just purchased a thule helium 3 hitch rack for my car

well..it wont fit bc the shock so i have to use a "frame adapter"

will this "frame adapter" work with my cannondale with lefty? not much room around the stem for the adapter to fit???????/

thanks so much for your help. REI was clueless..

IF IT WILL NOT FIT WHAT ARE SOME RECOMMENDATIONS BESIDES SELLING IT...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just ran into the exact issue. I got a saris bike beam and it fits around the lefty just fine. Actually, it would not have worked without the lefty; there is no room around the stem for the clamp. Put some protective tape where the clamp may rub against the headtube!

My only gripe with the saris beam is that its diameter is smaller than the straps (on a Bones rack) can cinch. This allows the bike to bounce around more than necessary. I'm gonna concoct a shim to allow the straps to securely fasten the beam. Other beam adapters may have a diameter similar to a bike's top tube where this wouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    my stem is so close to my head tube. to me it just looks like there is no way for it to work. got any pics of your setup by chance? will it connect to the lefty itself instead of around the stem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes, you clamp around the lefty rather than the stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    works great..besides the first time i opened the saris the plastic ring around the bar shattered..typical. thanks again