mtbr member

08 29er 1 in black; has anyone seen one in person?

the lbs said they could get me one in black, but the raw would be delayed till mid november. i have the 29er3 SS in raw, preferred that, but went with the black so i could get some miles on it before winter. i know the older 1fg in black and orange flame looked better in person than the photos, anyone see the black with green flame in person??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I saw one in black last weekend. It did look better in person than in the catalog, but I still didn't care for it. The flame thing belongs on a Huffy.

mtbr member
    May 2005

cycling news covered it for dirt demo

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...D_07vegas_DD_1

check out the above link for a slightly washed out pic from dirt demo. the review on the f29 sounds favorable. i rode it at demo and its leaps and bounds ahead of the 07 and should make a good bridge to something team issue for next year.

i still think the raw is classic enough to wait on. however the flames on the black are in bb region which will be covered with perma-dirt if you care for your bikes like i do.

mtbr member
    i rode it at demo and its leaps and bounds ahead of the 07 and should make a good bridge to something team issue for next year.
    What changes did they make for '08 that will make it better than the '07? I thought my ''07 worked great as is. My F29 SS frame just showed up at the shop so hopefully I will have it built next week and I can see for myself.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skinl19
    What changes did they make for '08 that will make it better than the '07? I thought my ''07 worked great as is. My F29 SS frame just showed up at the shop so hopefully I will have it built next week and I can see for myself.
    i suppose i should have specified that it lost 5 lbs, much of it in the wheels. the only geometry diff is in the seat stays. they are broader to handle the 2.55 wtb tires it was modeled to accommodate.

overall the specs on the f29-1 are just higher. it makes a diff. in the experience, esp for newbies trying to discern if they even like wagon wheels.

my 07 f29 is xtr'd out now with a lefty SL and a mavic x-max on the back and its fast as crap. 22.75lbs with a heavy-ish front wheel. can't wait for mavic to pony up with a lefty xmax.

sadly it may take c-dale saying, "yes, we'll buy 500 wheelsets to spec on a team edition f29" in order to make mavic produce it. they simply can't quite see the nuances of the trend so well yet. 15%+ of all 29ers out there are running lefties.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    i suppose i should have specified that it lost 5 lbs, much of it in the wheels. the only geometry diff is in the seat stays. they are broader to handle the 2.55 wtb tires it was modeled to accommodate.
    Didn't they also lengthen the top tubes so that they would actually match the published specs? I think for 2007 they were almost an inch short.

The wheels on the 29er 1 are still very disappointing for a $2500 bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWV
    Didn't they also lengthen the top tubes so that they would actually match the published specs? I think for 2007 they were almost an inch short.

The wheels on the 29er 1 are still very disappointing for a $2500 bike.
    i agree on the wheels. gone are the days of the $3000.00 cannondale hardtail with full xtr and mavic xmax wheels (circa f3000sl). what a value that bike was! now cannondale is more beholden to a committee of investors.

hopefully next year we'll see Cssmax29s for not much more.

the story on the TT is this: in the catalog, the effective TT and the actual TT measurements were transposed. this is why the mix-up. no actual change for 08, just correct #s.

mtbr member
    [QUOTEmy 07 f29 is xtr'd out now with a lefty SL and a mavic x-max on the back and its fast as crap. 22.75lbs with a heavy-ish front wheel. can't wait for mavic to pony up with a lefty xmax.
    ][/QUOTE]
    That's pretty good. We have a few here in our area built that light or lighter. Mine is 23.4 but I could lose weight in the seat, crank, pedals and bars. Plus I use bar ends.

the story on the TT is this: in the catalog, the effective TT and the actual TT measurements were transposed. this is why the mix-up. no actual change for 08, just correct #s.
    What about the 07 web site? Those dimensions didn't match my L, effective or actual top tube. For that matter, neither do the '08 on line specs which are listed the same as '07.