mtbr member
    Mar 2005

07 Taurine review and a question

This winter I finally got my Team edition of the Taurine in and built it up at my LBS. The few rides I've taken on it are night and day compared to my previous cannondale (a scalpel). The bike climbs like a road bike, but yet it dampens the vibration just enough. The weight of the bike is unbelieveable (on the scale with everything on it weighed in at 21.9 lbs.). The only question I had was about he Si cranks. I had the chain off of the bike and was rotating the crank and it seemed like it didn't spin as freely as it should. It wasn't crunchy or uneven, but there was like a slight resistance against it. This is my first experience with an Si crank so if anyone has any input or experience they could share that would be great. \

And heres a picture of the beast
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Can't help you with feedback on the Si crank but I sure wish I had that frame.
    Tearing it up with...

02' Cannondale F800
    11' Cannondale CAAD10
    05' Haro BMX

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have an Si crank on my Rush Carbon bike, and did the same test as you.
    After 200 miles, it is much smoother !

Ron

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    itīs the bearing that is new that make the resistance. itīs normal with caridge bearings.
    they will go mutch smoother when you have used them some time

Avenger of Evil
    Come on FireBall.
    With such a beautiful bike like a Taurine, we need more of a review than that.
    And more pictures too.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

More than somewhat.
    I need more of a review too. My 08 Taurine Team isn't scheduled to be in the states until MARCH!

mad aussie
    The Si usually take a while to smooth out, then they are super smooth. If you get the ceramics they are even smoother.........
    You can also adjust the preload on the bearings by removing the drive side crank and removing one of the black washers. The brass wavy washer should just be a little compressed when the cranks are tightened down.

Kevin

p.s. I love the Taurine. I have seen them built under 20lb with some small upgrades.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by de Ron
    I have an Si crank on my Rush Carbon bike, and did the same test as you.
    After 200 miles, it is much smoother !

Ron

Alright sweet, I have under 100 miles on it, as its my race bike and I've rode it extremely sparingly, which is extremely difficult to to do!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1440Brad
    Come on FireBall.
    With such a beautiful bike like a Taurine, we need more of a review than that.
    And more pictures too.
    Wish I could give more pictures, but i'm up at Penn State and only had room for my road bike in my room, so thats all I have right now. What else can I say about the bike, it is definitely one of the fastest bikes I have ridden. I was a bit skeptical at using a carbon frame for XC racing but after I rode it I had no doubts about it. The frame has no flex when I stand up to power up a climb. Even though the bike is stiff and transfers power extremely well, the ride isn't a bad one. The frame seems to some out small, vibrations and I only feel large bumps. Since the bike is extremely light, it is extremely easy to float over obstacles. With being light, the bike is very snappy and responds very quick and is predictable.

If anyone is wondering the build of it, it is exactly the way it comes from Cannondale. The only change I made was adding the Ergon grips that have the small bar end. I have them on my single speed and I HIGHLY recommend them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

taurine review

if the taurine was the last mountain bike I ever ride, I would still be thrilled.

What I've realized is that the Taurine is a hardtail ( a hardtail, for crying out loud!) that I can ride very comfortably all day long on easy to seriously aggressive XC trails.

You're instantaneously awestruck by how light the bike feels on you. When you hit obstacles, the feedback is simply inspiring - I guarantee a smile within the first few minutes! The vertical compliance characteristics are also very noticeable as you'll feel as if you're floating over all those roots and rocks.

Fit and handling is just about spot on. With a 110mm lefty, you're front end is up a little higher, so it's not as much of an XC race feel. Handling is second to none. You can't really steer this bike, you just gotta look where you want to go! I've been having more fun on this bike than any other that I can recall. It certainly blows the doors off of the SWORKS carbon hardtail....

Oh yeah, it's frickin' fast, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball8716
    Wish I could give more pictures, but i'm up at Penn State
    Nice. I bet your Taurine is eating up all that good singletrack by the firetower on the other side of Shingletown Gap. PSUer here. Graduated in '93. I miss those trails and have been meaning to get back for the 101 or at least the Stoopid 50. I'm racing an S-Works carbon HT and feel the same way about the durability of the frame. The clearcoat layer is so tough. I ganked some pretty heavy rocks off the BB with barely a scratch. I have a SuperSix on the way and will probably switch to the Taurine next year. Good luck with it.

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by twodog72

Oh yeah, it's frickin' fast, too.
    a little devils advocate....

what does that mean? i hear people say this all the time
    "my bike is sooo fast....."

smooth? comfortable? light? all of the above maybe. but fast? come on.

More than somewhat.
    Fast: Push the pedals and the bike shoots forward moreso than another bike.

It's like going from a beach cruiser to a 15lb CAAD9 road bike. They just MOVE.

ganginwood
    sounds like its more efficient.

sorry, i'm bored at work. pardon the sarcasm.
    i'll shut up now

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Smile New Taurine

I sold my Jekyll back in November and got a Taurine to race on.
    It has the DLR heakshok. Wow is this bike fast, it's light and seems all my energy just seems to convert to forward motion.
    I'll be doing my first race on this bike middle of Feb. I have raced my Jekyll before, which has it's benefits on longer courses as it smoothes everything in its path, but I hope to be be a little further up the field on the Taurine.
    At the moment I am riding the Taurine on my daily commute (I take in some single track). The DLR headshok isn't the plushist of suspension but it gives pin point steering round ruts. It's taking a little while to get used to using flat bars again, but they do save weight.
    I think this bike has potential to become really light with a few component changes.