mtbr member
    Sep 2006

07 Scalpel or 08 Scalpel

I've got a choice between the 07 aluminum Team Scalpel or the 08 carbon Team Scalpel. The 07 is, of course, cheaper and it's made in the USA. The carbon is the new design, with more travel, but it's made in China.

I guess where it's manufactured is not the determining factor. Most bikes are made overseas these days. It would be nice to keep the business here in the USA, but not necessary.

I was also told that the aluminum version is going to be lighter than the carbon version. Is aluminum lighter than carbon?

Anybody have any thoughts? I don't want to make the wrong decision and kick myself for the next few years because I didn't get what I wanted. Both bikes would be awesome, I'm sure.

LA CHÈVRE
    The new 08 Scalpels are made in the USA, just as the old ones.

The new carbon frame is lighter, by 200-300 grams if my memory is right. The new design but in alloy is also lighter than the 2007 but by a smaller margin.

For me, the new one is the better bike: it's lighter, stiffer, a bit more travel, less mud gets thrown on the shock, lockout is easier to reach while on the bike, it's much better looking too IMO! I'm getting a 2008 myself.

It all comes down to the price difference I guess.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Scalpels are made in the US, Bedford Pennsylvania actually. It just comes down to the price difference.

Heres Google Maps of the Cdale factory in Bedford

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...8&iwloc=A&om=1

mtbr member
    The only qustion here is 08 Aluminum Scalpel or 08 Carbon Scalpel? And the answer is how much coin can you throw down? I've ridden and been an advicate of the old Scalpel for a long long time. Then I got the new one and the old one has been sold. The old one was a great machine, but the new one, bar none climbs like the old one and tracks through switchbacks and downhills way better than the old one. I think I have room in my garage for and Aliminum one and a Carbon one!! But just need a little more in the pocket book for the aluminum one. Until then the Taurine will hang next to the NEW Scalpel.
    Last edited by rumshcawheely; 12-19-2007 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's the same thing I read about the carbon Rush vs. the alloy Rush. The guy who runs my shop at home (and who I do 90% of my business with) is trying to talk me into getting the allow because it's about $1,000 cheaper. At least their price is. He thinks it is a better bike, but I'm not convinced. I'm not so sure I wouldn't be kicking myself for awhile if I low-balled it. I did that 6 years ago when I bought a Gary Fisher Sugar 2. Wish I'd just gone ahead and gotten the Sugar 1 instead. It took me 3 months to pay off the Fisher 2. Probably would have taken me 4 or 5 to pay off the Sugar 1.

I'm not really hip on buying out-of-date technology when the latest and greatest is just that. If they hadn't made any changes to the Scalpel, and it was just 07 vs. 08. Alloy vs. alloy. Then I'd go with the 07 hands down.

mtbr member

Go with the 08 you will love it!

fella
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    For me, the new one is the better bike: it's lighter, stiffer, a bit more travel, less mud gets thrown on the shock, lockout is easier to reach while on the bike, it's much better looking too IMO! I'm getting a 2008 myself.
    and it has only one bottle mount, which I consider a huge disadvantage...
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by slyboots
    and it has only one bottle mount, which I consider a huge disadvantage...
    True, it can be for some. I prefer to carry water on my back personnaly.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I don't carry a water bottle when I ride. I've tried it. I tend to end up ingesting more dirt than water usually. Especially when it's really dry. The only thing I use the water bottle cage for is a battery. That's about it.

Always use a Camelbak or other hydration system.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin153
    I don't carry a water bottle when I ride. I've tried it. I tend to end up ingesting more dirt than water usually. Especially when it's really dry. The only thing I use the water bottle cage for is a battery. That's about it.

Always use a Camelbak or other hydration system.

in this case you can absolutely go with the 08 model.
    the bottle cage is the ONLY down point. and the OLNY reason I'm staying on the old one (I ride marathons and just need 2 bottles).

mad aussie
    The alloy 08 has 2 water bottle mounts (one under the downtube) the carbon 08 only has one. That is why a few of the local guys are going with the alloy as even with handoffs in late season Arizona races you can easily go through two bottles in a lap.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the bottle mounts under the downtube, is there anyone that use that? can´t understand why anyone whant there bottle there, hard to reach and a very exposed place for mud and hits

mad aussie
    I have used an under downtube bottle mount. Not a very convenient place, but better than nothing. I would store my extra bottle there and usually swap them and use the top one. It probably wouldnt be a good place for mud, but I live in the desert so I cant speak to that one.
    I had an 05 Scalpel and the problem with the seatube bottle on a small frame was the fact that I could only get a very small bottle in there.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'd prefer to carry an extra bottle in a jersey pocket before putting it underneath the downtube. I think that's a minor price to pay for such a great bike. I don't view that as a "make or break" point, but that's just me.

If you're well hydrated, you shouldn't need more than one large bottle an hour in a race (of course this depends on temperature and humidity, but generally speaking). Last year I saw this junior female racer stash a bunch of water bottles in a cooler by a tree at the start/finish line. After every lap, she slammed on her brakes, chucked the old bottle, grabbed a fresh one and was off in a flash! The whole transaction took less than 5 seconds. I think she's 15 and she beat every Expert woman in the field.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Scalpels are made in the US, Bedford Pennsylvania actually. It just comes down to the price difference.

Heres Google Maps of the Cdale factory in Bedford

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...8&iwloc=A&om=1

I have a hard time believing that Cannondales are made at that little 50 feet by 40 feet building the arrow points at. Possibly the arrow is located wrong, but I don't see them being made in the middle of what looks to be a trailer park.