mtbr member
    May 2007

06 Prophet 1000 Tire Recomendation

Looking at replacing the Maxxis Ignitor 26 x 2.35 tires with something lighter and faster.

I am looking at mostly trail riding with my buddies and the Ignitors I feel are too slow (maybe the rider is too slow too!) and require a lot more effort, any tire suggestions will be most appreciated.

Any thoughts on replacing them with PANARACER FIRE XC PRO TIRE (60) TPI with tubes? What will be the weight of these Panracers?
    Last edited by linusv; 07-05-2007 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i've swapped my High Rollers with Continental Vert 2.3 UST. night and day over the HR, so i would believe they might be better than the Ignitors. i also used the Serac UST too but they are 2.1

i tried the Pan Fire XC on my old bike but didn't care for them; but it's not the norm, a lot of people love them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My favorite is the 2.3 Hutchinson Spyder tubeless. Rolls fast, are tough againsts rock punctures and lasts a long time even when on asphalt. Worth a try!

Huge Tracts of Land
    I also highly recommend the Conti Verts 2.3's, I rate them as the quintessential jungle epic tire, will handle just about everything in all conditions.

I use CrossMarks in Summer and High Rollers in Mud, but they are specific terrain tires, if I am uncertain, road trip or jungle ride I slap on the Conti's.

I also run UST.
    Haven MTB Park
    1997 F2000
    2004 F4000 SL
    2007 Carbon Rush 1 Team

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I checked the tire pressure and it came up short. I pumped up the tires and hit the trails. Much better, did not feel the sluggishness. Although this time around the handling of the tires were bad with cornering.

I started riding harder, more aggressive with the Ignitor tires and they do not hold up well in dry conditions. The front tire kept on wiping out at high speed cornering on the trails. Tire pressure this time around was fine.

Anyone else have this experience with these tires? I am seriously considering changing them for something that is faster and handles cornering better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've found that the tires corner great in dry conditions. I can slide the Ignitors around corners but not wash out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapTrek
    i've swapped my High Rollers with Continental Vert 2.3 UST. night and day over the HR.
    Ditto!!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    I've been through a sh1tload of tyres with my Prophet and the best all rounders I've come across so far are Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.25. I don't like Conti-vert Pros as they crap on wet rock and not too grippy when cornering IMO.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    My Prophet came with the 2.25 IRC Trail Bears. I love them for the trail performance in dry So Cal conditions. I cannot say if they roll fast as the whole bike was new to me...too many changes, bike weight, etc, but they do not feel really slow on pavement.