mtbr member

06 Gemini 900 Diet

Well, I'm thinking the Gemini needs to go on a diet this year. Right now, set up almost totaly stock w/ 2.6 single ply Kenda stick-e s and a Manitou Swinger 4 way (600lb spring) it's weighing in at 40 lbs. Problem is, I bought it as a big hit bike, but now it's pulling double duty and it looks like things are going to stay that way for a while. I do a ton of xc riding on it, and I'd love to get it down into the 33-35 lb range. My thoughts are-

New wheelset, probably Azonic Outlaws and tubeless tires
    New pedals, not sure, but I know there are some magnesuim ones that are particularly light and buttery
    Thinking about using an OEM SC Blur shock (Manitou 3way) and running it in the shorter travel mode. I know the arguement that they are custom tuned, etc, but I'm already using a Heckler shock (4 way) and it works great.

Any other thoughts, comments about how foolish I am, etc- lets hear em!
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Not foolish to have the desire to loose some weight, you better have some ca$h thou.

Cranks and wheels should be the first to be dealt with IMO. Later you can deal with the suspension, having ridden air and coil sprung shocks I can say that I prefer the coils, Ti spring maybe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s
    New wheelset, probably Azonic Outlaws and tubeless tires
    I didn't think this wheelset was very light. maybe it's lighter than what you have now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I also have a gemini 2000 that doubles as my xc. I am looking to throw on some new parts as money permits.

dream setup:
    tires: mavic crossmax sx
    fox shock 5.o dhx air

those are the two main things I would change on mine. For you, consider a lefty fork. XTR cranks are pretty light, relatively cheap, and reputable. You should look into the Azonic Magnesium pedals. superlight and super cheap for about 30 bucks! lightest Ive found. Plus they stick to any shoe!
    The mavic crossmax sx wheels are sick, but expensive. Sun singletracks wheels are light and cheap. Check em out.

Are you talking to me?

I know what you are looking for.

My gemini is set up as a clyde trailbike. 32-34 lb, depending on rubber choices.

2003 Gemini 1000
    Lefty Max 130
    5th element rear (float RL stock)
    ML bar, Thompson, Hayes Mag 8/6
    Stock wheels dale hubs laced to F219 rims

in your case, a semi/light wheelset is the first thing I would look at, anfd the Outlaws are not it. Great wheels, but porky
    gfy

mtbr member
    This is off subject.I well give it a try here. Have any of you guys with a gemini had a problem with the derailleur hanger stripping out where the derailleur bolts on . I had three hangers do this now . I take a good hit on the derailleur and the hanger is not bent but the threads give out. Let me know because it is the same a judge derailleur hanger.

YES the derailleur was tight.
    JRA

Are you talking to me?

I have not.

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B
    This is off subject.I well give it a try here. Have any of you guys with a gemini had a problem with the derailleur hanger stripping out where the derailleur bolts on . I had three hangers do this now . I take a good hit on the derailleur and the hanger is not bent but the threads give out. Let me know because it is the same a judge derailleur hanger.

YES the derailleur was tight.

Very odd, I have not had that happen, nor have I heard of an issue. Have you considered a heli-coil?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Very odd, I have not had that happen, nor have I heard of an issue. Have you considered a heli-coil?

What that? Or do I even want to know?
    JRA

Are you talking to me?

a heli-coil?

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B
    What that? Or do I even want to know?

It is just a thread replacement, looks like a conical spring, but in place, replaces stripped threads.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What about just getting a SL XC bike for when you go to the trails? By the time you drop the money on light stuff, you probably could have bought an entry level 25# XC/AM bike. Big hit and light weight are mutually exclusive.