mtbr member
    Apr 2005

05 Prophet 2000 questions

It looks like I just picked up an 05 Prophet 2000 on Ebay. Looks to be in like new shape- anyone have any input as far as parts build on this model. All stock components- I have heard that the rear hub is not very good- true or not? Also what would the value of this bike be- low end (sell right now) and high end ( might get that price in the spring in the right area)? I put a bid in on this bike thinking it seemed cheap to others I have been looking at while building mine and ended up winning the bike. Now I am not sure if I should be excited or not. I was thinking of swapping the fork on mine (Lefty Max SPV) with this one (Lefty Max Carbon SPV), but saw that there is not that much difference in weight. How is the longevity on the carbon? Thanks in advance for anybodies input!
    Brian

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey,
    you have a great frame for plowing over just about anything you'll find on the trail. Notice I didnt say go around. That is because this bike works best going straight over things.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the carbon is lighter and is stiffer in one direction (look at lefty.com or golefty.com or whatever it is for the schematics), while the alloy is heavier and stiffer in the other direction - but not with the same kinda margin.

other than that it's a sweet bike,except the dual control xt integrated brakes and shifters. those are no good. the hub might prove to be a problem in the future, but you should be able to get some decent miles out of it before problems start occuring. i have a 05 1000 with two previous owners and the rear hub didn't get messed up untill i took it out for a spin - meaning it depends a lot on your use. but if it brakes it's a good excuse for a upgrade.

hm, remember to maintain the stoke on the new bike. no good if your not stoked on the purchase. it's a sweet bike with a decent stokefactor, so sharpen up eh

LA CHÈVRE
    Rear hub is crap, the seatpost collar too, the rest is top notch, not super exciting but a XT-XTR build is light, reliable and does what it's supposed to do. An excellent bike, still keeps a big grin on my face after 3 years. It really is a true do it all bike, loves downhills but climbs great too. It's not too heavy either, the bulk of it's weight are the wheels and tires. As for the Dual-Controls, it's a matter of taste, preferences and open-mindness (what a word!). I like them but then again, after one ride, I get used to whatever shifter style, thumbies, triggers, twisters... The only issue with them is that, coupled with the reversed rear derailleur, it doesn't take much crud in the cable to really produce bad shifting. I run a full length cable housing on mine, problem solved, I'm on the same cable set since July 2005 and haven't had to re-adjust the derailleurs once and it shifts very smoothly!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ridin' dirty!
    Why is the seat collar bad????
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Why is the seat collar bad????
    No matter how much force I put into it, my seatpost always slipped. I put a Salsa Flip-Lock and it never moved again!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dual Controls good or bad depends on your riding style. If ride XC or don't crash a lot then should be ok. If you crash a lot and your handlebar looks like a war zone like mine than it might be a good idea to sell them while you can and get separate controls.

My buddy with dual control slammed into a tree and totalled the one of the controls. He had to make a decision to replace the control or buy separate controls. He opted for separate units.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the replys everyone! I currently own a prophet that I pieced together my self and I did not spare any expense, with the exception of the fork which I put the alloy SPV on. When I saw this bike and the price it was going for I decided to pick it up- possibly to trade out the fork. Then I was curious what people thought about the rest of the components on the bike and in my head was wandering if I should part the bike out, put my fork on (or not) and sell it complete, etc. etc.
    However, the Ebay deal seems to have gone bad as I have requested a total with shipping and sent numerous e-mails to the seller and have not heard anything back. It looks like it might be one of those [I]if it's too good to be true.../I] deals. Oh well, we will see.
    On a side note, after just getting mine together it has snowed/turned cold and I can't bear to ride it in the mud/wet conditions so I haven't ridden it yet. I can't wait!!!!

mtbr member
    I second the seat post clamps are crap, will probably get a Salsa to if they are really that good.

With regards to the rear hub I have a Wind 6-B rear hub (2005 prophet 1000) and not the Titanium wind 6-B as fitted to the prophet 2000 and I haven't had any problem yet! But I don't pressure wash my bike and only wash with a hose/ soapy water.

Used to have a Shimano rear hub on the old spesh and was really pants!! it gave up after only 6 months, so the Cannondale hub ain't doing a bad job at all.

www.27gears.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a 2005 Prophet 2000 I bought new in Nov 05. I recommend, like the others, to replace the seat post clamp (w/salsa) and the rear hub (I use a Hope bulb - big & burly). Other than those, you're good to go for a long time. I have a lefty problem now (another thread), but it has been trouble free and great performing the last 2 years. Enjoy.