mtbr member
    May 2007

05 Cannondale Prophet 800 - Upgrades

Hi,

Just joined!

I've had my Prophet since March 06. Just got round to changing the chain and the largest sprocket on the front drailier.

Do I need to consider changing anything, never had many issues other than rear gear changes automatically. Cleaned the cable and adjusted slighty so that seems good now!

When do I need to do any bearings etc
    Do I need to have the lefty max serviced - no real problems at the moment, was a bit noisey but cleaned under the gater and that seems to have cured it!

As I am dopey with bike mechanics, is there anything I should be worried about?

Got to say I love the bike and not really looking at changing much, thinking about these tyres seen as the UK is quite dry at the moment (watch it now rain for days and days)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=17677

Cheers for any info,
    Carl.

LA CHÈVRE
    Welcome. If you are happy with it, why change anything? I like to run a full length cable housing for the rear derailleur, keeps it clean almost forever, even in dusty and muddy conditions... But don't bother until shifting gets crappy.

Doing a Lefty service once in a while is recommended but cleaning and regreasing the bearings/races yourself is good. I had a service done on mine after two years and it was still perfect.

As for tires, can't say what to get, too terrain specific and everyone has their own preferences. I have two different sets though, one for fast and dry trails but still can manage some mud now and then, and some big nasty tires for muddier and very rocky terrain. It's good to have the option.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aye up Carl, fellow Brit here.

I have a Prophet 800 and I have actually just posted this in another thread but the best upgrade I ever made was the wheels. I got XM819 rims with a Hope P2 rear and they are so much better than the stock wheels, much stiffer.

I'm always buying new tyres but I'm currently running a Schwalbe Nobby Nic up front/Racing Ralph rear and they are very good. However those Intense tyres look good and they are about the same weight as a Nobby Nic, I say give em' a try and be sure to report back

I ride Dalby 1 - 2 times a week by the way

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi Karl,

Thanks for that, may well try them out, I would like to find some similar about the £20 each rather than £29 each but if I can't might just bite the bullet.

We're at Dalby on Sunday (weather dependant), we'll aim to get there about 9:30 and spend all day there. It's a bit of a shock to us Manchunians to have to pay £7 per car!!!!

Will report back!
    Carl.