Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    454

    Are you happy with your MRP 2x? Anyone running The One in a 1x10 trail config?

    After continued problems with the MRP 2x, I've come to the realization that this product just doesn't work -- or will not work on my One. It works GREAT on trails, but on DH trails I have issues. Even the SRAM guy at this weekend's enduro couldn't get it right (and had a few colorful things to say about it). The bike shifts flawlessly, and I've moved the MRP as far forward (into the rings) as the metal clips will permit me, but it's still very inconsistent.

    That said, I'm thinking my only choice is to make it a 1x10. Is anyone riding a 1x10 gearing on the trail and what gear ratio do you recommend? Anyone have similar experiences w/ the MRP 2x? thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    353
    It won't help you at the moment but my plan is to run 1x10. I am still waiting for some parts but I have the new MRP Micro G2 SL, a 30t MRP Bling Ring and the rear X9 10sp shifter. I am missing the 10sp X9 rear derailleur, 11x36 XT cassette and 10sp chain. I should get all of this next week.

    So the set-up will be 1x10 with a 30T chainring and 11-36 cassettes. Considering I mostly use the current 32T chainring with a 11-34 cassette this should work fine for me.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madsedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,429
    I've run the MRP 1x, BB mounted, as a guide on my last 3 bikes running 1x9 and 1x10 and had no problems.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    454
    I cross-posted this in the Colo Front Range forum and seems like a lot of people are riding 1x10s for Enduro w/ 34t chain rings. Also looks like I'm not the only one to experience issues w/ 2x guides on DH... guess it just wasn't meant to be.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    39
    Has anyone tried using a Gamut guide/guard on their ONE?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by socalfyre View Post
    Has anyone tried using a Gamut guide/guard on their ONE?
    I have one being installed tomorrow.

    I have been using the Truvativ X-guide by MRP, same as the MRP 2X, and it hasn't performed very well. It drops the chain quite a lot and is too labor-intensive to get the chain back in place.

    I will let you know as soon as I have a good ride on the Gamut, I got the P30 Dual.

  7. #7
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,759
    Sorry you had problems with the 2x. For aggressive, DH riding I'd definitely recommend a single-ring setup, or a two ring setup with a bash guard (like the LRP). On bikes with a lot of travel like the One, stopping the chain from coming off the top of the chainring (outboard) on a dual-ring setup is very tough without a bash guard or guide ring.

    I run either a 34 or 36t on my trail bikes.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    59

    1x10

    I have a 2012 One. 9t rear, 9-36, 32t chainring, MRP mini.

    Set up was easy. Shifts perfect. Very happy with the gear range.
    The bike pushes me a bit on SUPER HEAVY climbs but it's worth the trade off.
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Sorry you had problems with the 2x. For aggressive, DH riding I'd definitely recommend a single-ring setup, or a two ring setup with a bash guard (like the LRP). On bikes with a lot of travel like the One, stopping the chain from coming off the top of the chainring (outboard) on a dual-ring setup is very tough without a bash guard or guide ring.

    I run either a 34 or 36t on my trail bikes.
    My biggest issue is how tough it is to get the chain back on once it had come off. It worked well otherwise but once it comes off I had to get out tools to loosen the wheels enough to get the chain back in line. Too much for a simple derailment

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    My biggest issue is how tough it is to get the chain back on once it had come off. It worked well otherwise but once it comes off I had to get out tools to loosen the wheels enough to get the chain back in line. Too much for a simple derailment
    EXACTLY! -- Cost me about 60 seconds when it came off during a stage in the CO Freeride festival. Granted I had also bent my derailleur in the previous stage so my drivetrain was pretty F*ed.

    That said, I it's a phenomenal product for trail use -- I just wish MRP would market it that way. I tried again this last weekend and it's just not resort worthy (and this isn't my ineptitude in setting it up, had the SRAM guy and 2 different bike shops step up to the challenge w/ the same results!)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,184
    Does anyone have any experience with a 2-ring guide that works better than the MRP?
    I'm looking at the E13 TRS+ and Gamut. The E13 looks very similar to the MRP, making me wonder if it would have similar problems. The Gamut P20 looks like it might not keep the chain off the lower link if it derailed to the inside, and I thought that was the reason we needed a guide for a dual ring setup.

    And when you say derailment, are you talking about dropping the chain to the outside, on the crank arms? I'm liking the idea of a 'taco' style bashguard, but I wonder if a ring style is the better choice, since that prevents outside derailment.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with a 2-ring guide that works better than the MRP?
    I'm looking at the E13 TRS+ and Gamut. The E13 looks very similar to the MRP, making me wonder if it would have similar problems. The Gamut P20 looks like it might not keep the chain off the lower link if it derailed to the inside, and I thought that was the reason we needed a guide for a dual ring setup.

    And when you say derailment, are you talking about dropping the chain to the outside, on the crank arms? I'm liking the idea of a 'taco' style bashguard, but I wonder if a ring style is the better choice, since that prevents outside derailment.
    I put a Gamut P30 Dual on my The One last week and took it out to trestle this last weekend and it did great! After having 2 hard days on it it did not come off once, worked flawlessly the whole time.

    My conclusion is that yes, the ring guard is the answer. The MRP only ever derailed on the outside, never to the inside. I think a ring guard would solve this problem, though the roller cage is too close to the ring to put one on. I had thought of trimming off the edge of the cage with a dremel tool so a guard would fit but I went the more expensive route and replaced the entire thing.

    As for the chain dropping into the lower link I am not sure. The mounting plate on the Gamut is smaller but on the bike it "looks" like it would prevent the chain from going in. I would like to hear if the Brothers approve or not.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    I put a Gamut P30 Dual on my The One last week and took it out to trestle this last weekend and it did great! After having 2 hard days on it it did not come off once, worked flawlessly the whole time.

    My conclusion is that yes, the ring guard is the answer. The MRP only ever derailed on the outside, never to the inside. I think a ring guard would solve this problem, though the roller cage is too close to the ring to put one on. I had thought of trimming off the edge of the cage with a dremel tool so a guard would fit but I went the more expensive route and replaced the entire thing.

    As for the chain dropping into the lower link I am not sure. The mounting plate on the Gamut is smaller but on the bike it "looks" like it would prevent the chain from going in. I would like to hear if the Brothers approve or not.
    Thanks for the update! Good to know. The P30 is on the upgrade list now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •