mtbr member
    May 2014

Yet another Yelli Screamy First Build...

I thought about posting in shinola's thread from yesterday, but I didn't know if that wouldn't be appropriate so I decided to start my own...

My XL Yelli in "black chrome" arrived today and I am stoked! I ordered it with the cane creek 40 headseat, the Canfield seatpost clamp, a 140 Pike, and the Canfield 29er wheelset. I had a set of magnesium Canfield pedals already.

I am just back into riding this year after taking probably a decade off. My old Cannondale is way overdue for replacement, so here we are!

I just spoke today with Noah Bodman, who did a review of Sram X1 1x11 on a Yelli, but I don't think the Canfield wheelset is compatible with the xd driver. Anyone know of any conversion kit that would work? Can anyone help or come up with a go around? I might just go with a more "standard" Shimano build, as I was thinking of going XT as I didn't know that 1x11 would work. However, I think I would like to try 1x11.

Still a lot of decisions to be made, but I am thinking:
    -40 - 50mm stem
    -800mm bars, but may cut them down as needed
    -XT or maybe Saint brakes, 200mm fr/180mm rr
    -KSlev or gravity dropper, not sure here
    -no idea on seat
    -not sure on tires, but something good for hard pack and roots that will roll ok on occasional pavement
    -maybe try the Pike both at 140 an 120
    -crank/group depends on questions above at this point

I don't want to make it a pig, but I want it stout as I am 235 lb or so on the way down from 260 to hopefull 210 or so. I am 6'2.5" with 34" - 34.5" inseam (32" pants, generally) for what it's worth.

Sean at Canfield has been great to deal with and I will be emailing him for some help, and I will post updates and I am sure ask questions hereas I go. Looking forward to getting started though!
    Bryant

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bryant,congrats on the sweet new ride and especially the weight drop!The Yelli will contribute to that for sure.I run xx1 on my yell and love it.I am not sure that they have an xd driver for there hub.Should you want to go 1x11 on that I think your only option is new str.

You could always go 1x10 with xt and if you need a 42 in the back you could use one of the many conversion cogs.I think your build is solid and you will love it!Sean is awesome to deal with also.Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks! Can I ask about your setup? What cranks are you running, SRAM or something else? And how large of chainring can you run? I have some road in between the trails and ride a little with my fiance on the road, too, plus our "ups" aren't very long here. I really think a 32 with a 1x11 would be the minimum I would want and a 34 might even be better. In fact, the road stuff and the limited chainring size is the main reason I haven't thought too much about 1x10, as I thought it would just be too limiting. 2x10 is tempting but I may just go 3x10 XT and have a broader spectrum than I really need and a lot of overlap.

It's looking like there may not be an xd driver for their hub. Any recommendations on a stout AM wheelset for someone my size that doesn't weigh a ton or cost a mint?

I'm trying to pick out bars and stem now, really bar rise and amount of spacers. I am thinking low rise (10-20mm) bars and probably 1 5mm spacer underneath the stem to start.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a 24/36 up front on a triple slx crank I believe. I had to add two spacers on that side of the crank for clearance and the chainline isnt the best. I've broken the chain a few times when in the bigger cogs and 36t up front. If you don't absolutly need the bashgaurd up front I say go triple. I'm running 760mm bars with a 35 mm rise and 45mm stem. At 6' 1.5" with long limbs it fits great. I also have a 60mm stem that I sometimes put on for longer rides.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am running full xx1 including crank.Could only fit a 30 up front.

mtbr member
    If you're on the fence, I'd definitely give the Pike a go at 140 first. I had a 120mm fork on my YS for a year and much prefer it with the 140mm Pike.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for all of the advice. I decided to go 3x10 as well as try the Pike first at 140, and most likely leave it that way, honestly. I've ordered a ton of parts. XT drivetrain (40/30/22 and 11-36 cassette), Shadow+ rear. derailleur, and I hope I have the right front one; it's a direct mount, M781 I think, XT brakes with 203 fr and 180 rr, a couple saddles to try. I've got the handlebars and stem narrowed down I think (Raceface Atlas 800mm wide/20mm rise and 50mm stem).

I know I need to pick up a rear QR skewer and tires still. I need something that will last with a little pavement use between trails, and that has been the toughest part. Few big rocks down here, mostly hard pack dirt and then roots and some loose material mixed with a little damp and a little road. LOL. What a variety!

I also think I will pick up a cheap seatpost until I figure out what length I need for a dropper. Leaning toward a gravity dropper when I go that route despite the looks due to the reliability advantage.

Here's what I've got so far. Ha.
    Yet another Yelli Screamy First Build...-parts-couch.jpg

And here's a shot of the bare XL frame on a fairly accurate scale, if anyone is curious:
    Yet another Yelli Screamy First Build...-frame-scale-2.jpg
    The Pike weighs almost as much!

I'll post some more shots along the way.
    Thanks again for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It's finally completed and ready to ride! I haven't gotten much time in on it yet, but I like it a lot so far. It's just what I was looking for... To be fair, I haven't had much time on any mountain bike built in the last decade other than some brief test rides, so my comparisons will be fairly useless in that regard. I can say it is a blast to mess around on though and I am looking forward to getting some trail time in. Coming from a slightly too small bike, it is big (XL size) and I don't think I would want the frame any larger for me (6'2" or so, 32" or so pants and measured 34" - 34.5" inseam), but I do like the really short stem thus far and think the size choice was "right", so thanks to Sean at Canfield as well as several posters on here for help with that. I will play with adjusting things after I get it out on some trails and get a little more mileage on it, and I will eventually cut the steering tube down a little more once that is all set. I also need to do a little cleaning up of the cable routing, too. I'll try to get some better pictures outside somewhere with a little scenary, but without further ado:
    Yet another Yelli Screamy First Build...-canfield-side-2.jpg
    Yet another Yelli Screamy First Build...-canfield-front.jpg
    Yet another Yelli Screamy First Build...-canfield-reverse-1.jpg
    Yet another Yelli Screamy First Build...-canfield-reverse-2.jpg
    It is a little heavier than I expected, but I figure the tires and rims are part of that, along with the gravity dropper and Pike. It weighed just over 30 lbs (30 lbs. 3 oz.) on some decent scales, but it doesn't ride like it weighs that much to me. It feels lighter and more responsive. I'm coming off a 27-28 lb. or so Cannondale 26" bike that is about 20 years old, and this bike is better and faster in every way, as would be expected.

Full build specs:
    -Canfield XL Yelli Screamy frame in Black Chrome
    -RockShox Pike with 51mm offset
    -Canfield 29er wheelset
    -WTB Trail Boss tires (with Schwalbe tubes currently, will go ghetto tubeless at some point)
    -Gravity dropper Turbo LP multi (1" and 4" drops), tried a 5" and it was too long, will list it for sale here and possible on Ebay shortly.
    -WTB Pure V Team saddle with Ti rails
    -Canfield seatpost clamp
    -Raceface Atlas 35mm handlebars, 800mm wide currently
    -Raceface Atlas 35mm stem, 35mm long
    -Raceface stem spacers
    -Oury lock on grips
    -Cane Creek 40 series headset
    -Woodman Capsule Extrem Headset cap
    -Shimano XT brakes with 203mm front and 180mm rear Ice tech rotors
    -Shimano XT crankset (175mm, 3x10 - 40/30/22), cassette (11-36), and chain
    -Shimano XT shifters
    -Shimano XTR front and rear derailleurs (found good deals so upgraded)
    -Shimano Saint bottom bracket
    -K-Edge Dirt-3 Chain Catcher
    -Canfield Ultimate Magnesium pedals

Let's see, Lizard Skin chain stay protector and some helicopter tape in strategic locations, and throw in a cheap water bottle holder and I think that is about it. It's fairly plain and business-like, but that's what I was going for. There are some great looking bikes on here with colored frames and I almost went that way, but my tastes change as to what is my favorite over time and something like this is the only thing that lasts for me. I may add other bikes to the stable, but I plan to have this bike a while...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet another Yelli Screamy First Build...-canfield-side-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Looks great! I really like the black chrome, perhaps the first xl I've seen in that color. I know what you mean about the color. I have a purple xl with blue crampon pedals and some days I wouldn't trade it for the world. Other times I wish I'd gone with black or black chrome...lol.
    35mm stem is as short as you can go. How does the fit feel? I have a 45 and like it a lot. Please keep us posted on how you like the ride offroad. The sizing was tricky for me as well. I'm 6'1.5" with 36" inseam. I could ride a large with a 70mm stem but then the seatpost would be a mile long. I had a large Nimble9 and even with the 70mm stem it was a little tight when standing.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks! The fit feels pretty good right now. I am coming off a bike that was really a little too small and is so old school. For example, the stem is probably close to 200mm or so, LOL, and the bars are real narrow and have bar ends, etc. The Yelli is SO different, but if this setup isn't perfect for me, I think it is going to end up pretty darn close. I had thought about trying a 45 or 50mm stem and might should have, but I can always go a little longer if necessary.

What part of West Virginia are you from? I am up there some for work but have not been able to ride there yet, unfortunately. I was up there a couple weeks ago and the colors were beautiful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am in charleston.
    Wow you are going from one extreme to the other with the two bikes. With yelli running a 140mm fork and short stem going over the bars is a thing of the past. It's crazy what you can ride down. As long as you you stay behind the seat I swear you can ride down a wall...lol.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Cool. Are there any good places to ride in the immediate Charleston area? That is where I usually am when in WV, but I was in Summersville for about 10 days in October. I know there are some trails near Fayetteville. I've wanted to ride up there for a while and haven't been able to yet.

LOL. Yeah, the difference is VERY noticeable. Anything steep here is pretty short, as our "mountains" are actually just "hills". It will get ridden some in Alabama and hopefully in western North Carolina, too. Who knows, maybe I will get it to WV sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have to try a 35mm stem sooner or later...
    I've a 50mm now on my XL Yelli and I'm fine with it, but i'd like to try the shortest option... my first build had a 80mm stem, soon swapped for a 65mm one and then the final 50mm :-)