mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Yet Another "Which Bike Should I Buy?" Thread

So for several years I have been on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new Heavy Duty All Mtn / Light Freeride bike and just as I seem to have the funds together a little thing called life gets in the way. I am hopeful that 2012 may be the year that I can actually purchase my new frame or bike. I have narrowed my choice down to the Intense Uzzi and the ONE. This is a little difficult because I know that both frames are undergoing changes for 2012. The only negative thing I have found on the Uzzi is that the rear end was very flexy but apparently that is being addressed for 2012. I typically have to climb to get to the downs so pedaling is a big factor for me. My last bike like this was a 35 lbs Giant Reign XO with a RS Totem and I didn't mind climbing a bike at that weight. Both bikes check all the boxes for me especially being adjustable between all mountain rippers and shuttle day ready bikes. I will most likely run a coil shock exclusively if that helps. So if you were in my shoes what would you get and why? BTW I am not able to demo either bike so it is a leap of faith on both bikes that I will enjoy them. Thanks for the help and input.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    First off as to the ONE, a browse thru this forum will show you that Canfield owners are pretty much the happiest owners.. you just won't find a negative post worth mentioning.
    Second, the changes to the V3 ONE shouldn't affect the character of the bike
    Third most likely you wont be happy with setting the ONE up as an AM bike with 160mm travel as the BB will likely be too low for you. That would on paper, be the closest to the Uzzi
    Forth if you didn't mind climbing with the Reign, then the ONE will really make you grin going uphill.
    Fifth, especially if you're not a big guy, DON'T be afraid of setting up the ONE as a DH bike but don't worry, it will act like an AM bike until you point it downhill. All it takes it pulling in the HA with an angleset(I recommend the VP unit).
    The reason I mention your size is that I suspect the clydes don't get quite as totally bob free ride as us smaller guys. I'm 61 and well under 150lbs ready to ride, so I shouldn't have to tell people I don't have what it takes to pedal a pig uphill, which is good because the ONE is my only bike and 90% of the time, I'm riding XC trails fit for hardtails with no end of climbing. Again, only a suspicion based on fewer raves from the clyde crowd about climbing- it could also easily be clydes like climbing less or not
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009

My "trail" bike

as long as it not trials or deep sand/snow this bike eats it up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet Another "Which Bike Should I Buy?" Thread-100_1638a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Holy Smokes

Crossup that is sweet. My biggest concern with the ONE is BB height. I read in another thread that the 2012 is going to have a slightly higher BB. Everything I've read about the climbing abilities has been impressive, albeit with some changes to riding style while climbing. So I imagine with a slightly taller BB climbing will be even better without taking away from the awesome downhill capabilities.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well BB height is one reason I nudge folks towards the 200mm setup. As always, proper setup depends on what you want to do. For me, all the things that usually make people dislike FR/DH bikes for XC/AM are the things which make me love the ONE.
    People say DH bikes wont turn on tight XC trails...bull, its a bicycle not a 275lb motorcycle, it turns wonderfully with NONE of the tendancy to tuck that steep HA's cause. Like dude, I dont need power steering on my bicycle (But DO buy an angleset to give you control of the HA)
    People say DH bikes are heavy... yep, if you build it that way.
    DH bikes are hard to pedal...not if they are light and have linkage that locks out bob. Canfield-check!
    DH bikes are hard to pedal with the low seat you want for decending....buy an adjustable seat post
    I want to FR but my DH bike just stucks up the jump face...no pop. Adjust your fancy suspension, thats what those knobs are for and why you have an air pump.

I seriously doubt a higher BB is going to help climbing...raising the BB means a corresponding increase in seat height. Raising your center of gravity will tend to lighten the front end(when climbing) which won't help steering. The main reason for a higher BB on the next gen ONE is to allow AM setup without so many pedal strikes. Right now even with short(165mm) cranks clearance is poor with 160mm suspension. With 200mm suspension and long cranks, the clearance is great, I'm still waiting for my first strike

Why not let us know how big you are and then let the folks your size comment on their experience?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The uzzi is nice, I've tested it. BUT the ONE is in its own class. I started out on xc frames and back in the day all the garbage you hear about DH bikes was true to a degree. Now days the only thing true about that is the rumors have stuck around because of a lack of education (Mostly by xc riders. Because all they have seriously rode are xc bikes. They say something they know nothing about. I used to be one of those ill informed riders.) The DH bikes of today have possibly the most advanced dialed suspension ever made. That is why they can go so fast off the craziest terrain out there. I have climbed things on by DH/FR bikes that I never climbed on my xc bikes. They are tons safer because of the geometry and the weight makes them climbing machines. Going over the handle bars is a thing of the past. I can't count how many times I should have wrecked but was saved by my bike. I used to spin out all the time on my xc bikes while climbing. DH/FR bikes are nearly impossible to spin out because the weight centers on the rear tire and the suspension keeps you glued to the ground. If you can turn the pedals you will keep going up. This is even more true with the ONE. It climbs like a billy goat. It has all the advantages of the DH bike with a locking rear suspension that has almost no bob. It is no exaggeration when they say it is two or three bikes in one.
    Don't even get me started on the DH qualities! As good as it climbs, it was born for big mountains, rocks, and speed. This is its domain. It is as good as the best. I've tried most of them. This is the main reason it has the low bb. The control that low center of gravity advantages gives surpass the rare disadvantage of pedal strikes which only occur when leaning over, pedaling, and turning at the same time. If your main concern is low bb, just weigh the advantages over the one disadvantage. (Low bb disadvantage: occasional pedal strike, having to pay attention to rocks on turns while pedaling- which almost never happens. Advantages-control, speed, cornering, standover height, big travel, stable in-air jumping, and more. Point the bike downhill and any concern will melt away.)
    It is my belief that if companies are to make better bikes, one of the things they need to do is start making bikes with the characteristics of the ONE. If you buy the one and don't love it, it may be wise to go back to a hard tail. You have amazing all-mountain riding abilities with 8 inches of downhill ripping magic. You couldn't give me a xc bike after 15 minutes on this thing. Well, maybe you could, but I'd probably sell it. But this is just my opinion. Form you own. I love this bike!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Points Well Taken

The better climbing I mentioned was in reference to pedal strikes so im glad you mentioned that. Thanks. I am 5' 9" and 160 lbs with gear. I live in Boise, ID and make trips to Moab, Park City and other places in the northwest. I have a FS 29er that I use for my xc/trail bike so the ONE would be my bigger play bike. I have checked the ONE build thread and love the different setups everyone has. I also like the all mountain next blog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Which travel setting are you guys typically running while doing your all mountain riding? This will be what I mainly do with the bike but had planned on running it in the 7" setting.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well what both daynegrant and I are telling you is there is virtually no reason not to rock at least 180mm and my vote is obviously for the full monty 203mm.
    I will admit, if one ran 200m and stock HA, trail riding would probably we compromised in term of steering, but since we can add an adjustable headset one can keep the travel AND have a wonderful low speed, tight turning front end.
    When the back end doesn't bob, even mush cake front fork setting also resist bobbing. Until you ride the Canfield you seriously won't realize how much bob you've been putting up with on whatever you ride, and therefore, how much energy you're wasting. Thats the thing that has earned DH bikes the bad pedaling label/libel and why the Canfield is just plain magical. Well the dialed geometry obviously helps too!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    daynegrant, I seriously got goose bumps reading your post...about time someone other than me raved about this
    you SO nailed how and why it works and why people just don't get it(YET!)
    I just love the looks I get on my local trails, chugging up a badass hill, when I say " 'cuse me, passing on the left" and they see a shriveled up little old guy hustle past them on a full DH rig as they bob their way forward, shaking their heads
    Whatever you do, definitely dont pull up to me at the top of hill and say " got a little bit more bike than you need there don't you?" That will cost you a 30 min lecture on what makes a bike good for climbing

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Awesome, you guys rock! Thanks a bunch for taking your time and lending some great advice. When the time comes to finally pull the trigger I will let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm always on the 8 in. setting. It feels exactly like the 7, but you have extra insurance. I've never had it effect my riding negatively. And thank you crossup, people just don't get it until they try it and the lights turn on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I feel like I am a pretty open minded guy but it is still hard to wrap my head around the fact that an 8" travel bike can pedal that well. I wish I had a LBS that could let me demo one. I had really been leaning towards the UZZI but now it seems I am being swayed to the ONE. In turning situations do you ever feel the dual crown limits the bikes nimbleness?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That is what kept me from getting more travel in a bike for years. I really like climbing. I spent months going around and testing every nice bike I could get my hands on so that I would know how they felt. (Uzzi, 951, santa cruz, Ibis, GT Rucus, SX Trail, Demo 8, RM flatline, Kona Operator, entourage, commencial, giant glory and faith, transition, big hit, scott voltage, cannondale) They were all very nice. Some had features I likes and others I didn't. Bikes are all about preference. In the past I always wanted more travel, but thought it would limit me. That is why I tested so many bikes, I had to know exactly how they felt. I had decided on the kona operator or RM flatline, until I found out about the ONE. I found one and tested it and it exceeded every expectation. I've never had more fun in my life. I can't say the ONE would be perfect for you, but it is extremely difficult to not love. There is no such thing as the best bike, but the ONE approaches that ideal in my opinion. Riding one before buying would be perfect, if you lived close to me you could try mine(Roosevelt UT).
    My brother has a dual crown, which I thought would be limiting, but I've tried it a bunch and the only time it has ever an issue is when you are barely crawling and try to turn really sharp. If there is any speed above walking pace it is never an issue. One trail I ride is extremely technical and it hasn't once been an issue- yet. I have a single crown- RS totem and it is as nice as the boxxer shocks I've tried.
    If you have concerns, try to find one to ride. But if you can't, my very picky opinion is that there are no concerns whatsoever. Good luck.
    Last edited by daynegrant; 02-05-2012 at 03:09 PM.

mtbr member
    TLD80, I don't doubt there are a lot of other great bikes on the market with lots of travel. But personally, I haven't ridden any with 8" of travel that climb as well as the One.

I usually run the bike in 7" mode with my 66, but once in a while I put a dual crown and set it up in 8". Honestly, it doesn't matter which setting...both climb fantastic as others mentioned. I thought at first climbing with a slack HA would be difficult, but it's not that bad. With the hammerschmidt, I can climb pretty well with a dual crown which trips people out...and i'm no great climber, I just spin circles slow and low and i'll eventually make it up. With a DC or 7" fork, hammerschmidt, dropper seatpost, it's like a swiss army knife for the trail.

Turning radius suffers a bit with a DC, but if you aren't riding switch backs at slow speeds, it's probably not a huge deal.

If you want a damn versatile bike, you certainly can't do wrong with the One.

Some pics to help push you over the edge

mtbr member
    May 2009
    As stated above the DC does limit steering lock a bit but I'd guess another 5 deg would be all you could want.. the turning radius is around 4' (8' circle)
    I'd say the bars turn about 55 deg, in the pic it looks like the wheel turns less but of course it doesnt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet Another "Which Bike Should I Buy?" Thread-2012-02-05-09.02.38.jpg  

Last edited by crossup; 02-05-2012 at 02:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Okay, so this is what I think I will do. I am pretty sure I will get the ONE. Ano black with Orange links. (My son loves orange) I will most likely start off with a DC fork. Most likely a black Boxxer. Knowing that I will get crazy looks out on the trail like crossup mentioned appeals to me. I am not a mechanic so I have to ask, how hard is it swapping between forks? BTW kameraguy, your bike is totally sweet too.
    Last edited by TLD80; 02-05-2012 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you have a bike stand , a fork swap could only take 10 minutes work. 4 fasteners on the upper crown of the BOxxER and the fork and bars are free. Then it depends on what you want to deal with- keep the same bars and therefore shifters and brakes is the fastest and cheapest. You would just unclamp the bars(2-4 bolts) and the front caliper(2bolts). Swap wheels via your 20mm Maxle and reassemble with SC fork. Because you have to position the stem and align everything going to SC will be slower than going back to DC which just bolts up except for adjusting the stem bolt(bearing play)
    Small problem is you will need an extra crown race for the second fork as they are not easily removed nor swapped.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just wanted to comment on the idea of having two forks. First off let me confess, I have not run a SC on the ONE. Thats because after riding the bike I just couldnt find any thing I did not just love about the ride,handling, climbing etc...NOTHING!
    Maybe I'm weird and the exception because of motocross racing backround(15 years in the saddle) but
    real XC bikes and to a lesser extent even trail bikes are all too quick steering, too willing to be deflected by trail obstacles and just down right spooky when doing max braking especially downhill. I can ride most anything pretty fast so I'm not saying those bikes are actually bad BUT the ONE(at 66 deg HA) seems to have the perfect balance of willingness to turn, holding the turn and stabilty. I can easily play junior road racer and do motorcycle style hang off the bike turns. Trying that on my other bikes got me some ground rash the first attempts and the flaming wobbles most others. For some reason, the ONE acts a lot like a bike with a steering dampener yet is seriously flickable.
    I have to believe too that the 200mm fork travel helps climbing because you loose sag the steeper the hill and with a few bump/logs etc thrown in, topping out does happen. Less travel means more topping out which means less front end weight and less effective steering. So for me, why try a single crown when I'm already happy and need the DC for my bike park adventures. Its also occurred to me that always having the big sticks up front means I'm never going to be surprised by something.. if the DC can't suck it up I'm toast anyway

I could go on and on but since several guys who post here have two forks and use them, they should be the ones to say if my thougths hold water. I figure if some purchased a Canfield they're pretty bike savvy and if they say SC's have their advantages, I'm all ears.
    I'm just glad the my experiment in bucking conventional wisdom paid off in spades.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Oh and considering you(TLD80) aren't a big guy and want to climb, I'd put my weight weenie hat on when shopping components. If you only going down, weight isn't much worry but up is something else of course and when building a DH oriented bike its easy to get into the tougher the better mentality.
    So I'd recommend the BOxxER WC which Chris Canfield confirmed as a good match for a coil ELKA regardless of use(both). Try to spring for carbon cranks. And my personnal belief, the lighter the rider the lighter the wheels can be..I just don't see where I need the strenght a clyde does and most DH stuff is clyde rated. I know my Crossmax SX's wont take what the bike will but I'm confident they will take anything I can dish out without injury.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup View Post
    Oh and considering you(TLD80) aren't a big guy and want to climb, I'd put my weight weenie hat on when shopping components. If you only going down, weight isn't much worry but up is something else of course and when building a DH oriented bike its easy to get into the tougher the better mentality.
    So I'd recommend the BOxxER WC which Chris Canfield confirmed as a good match for a coil ELKA regardless of use(both). Try to spring for carbon cranks. And my personnal belief, the lighter the rider the lighter the wheels can be..I just don't see where I need the strenght a clyde does and most DH stuff is clyde rated. I know my Crossmax SX's wont take what the bike will but I'm confident they will take anything I can dish out without injury.
    I had a set of Crossmax SX's on my Reign and they were sweet. I had planned on going with the 2012 SX's. One of the things I have been looking at though is the Canfield 9t micro drive hub so I can run a smaller single chainring up front. Would help with climbing and still have the ability to pedal some on the downs. Should be a slick set up with a 9-36 cassette if it will work. If I go that route then I will probably lace up some Stan's Flows. Weight wise they should come out close to the SX's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLD80 View Post
    I had a set of Crossmax SX's on my Reign and they were sweet. I had planned on going with the 2012 SX's. One of the things I have been looking at though is the Canfield 9t micro drive hub so I can run a smaller single chainring up front. Would help with climbing and still have the ability to pedal some on the downs. Should be a slick set up with a 9-36 cassette if it will work. If I go that route then I will probably lace up some Stan's Flows. Weight wise they should come out close to the SX's.

Yeah the powers that be keep suggesting that the Micro Drive is almost available, same with a 28-32t guide. I've been fishing for info, no big bites just nibbles.....